U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2016, 02:22 PM
 
Location: southwestern USA
1,815 posts, read 1,758,311 times
Reputation: 2396

Advertisements

Chris Petersen has done a great job at Washington----they are legit----they are an offensive dynamo.
Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan are next.
I am going to go with this years Cinderella and go with the Washington Huskies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
447 posts, read 471,537 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Chris Petersen has done a great job at Washington----they are legit----they are an offensive dynamo.
Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan are next.
I am going to go with this years Cinderella and go with the Washington Huskies.

No way Ohio State and Michigan both make it in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 PM
 
9,423 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Reputation: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Clemson looked suspect against NC St, but will probably still slide into the Final Four..
So I'll go, Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, Washington.. I feel 2 Big Ten teams theoretically should be there, but I think the selection committee wouldn't pick a loser of the Big Ten championship game.. Is that how the process will work, have they stated a position, or rule on that (?) Because I think both OSU & Michigan (even with a future head-to-head loss) are better than Clemson..
NC State is a historical Clemsoning game.

It doesn't matter how good or how bad either team is.. They play each other tough. Remember that even last year when NC State went 7-6.. They gave Clemson one of their toughest games before losing 56-41

While I agree.. Clemson is nowhere near the offensive juggernaut they were last year. They always jump up and surprise people. Few people nationally expected them to even come close to beating Alabama.. And short of that onside kick.. They probably would have. Few expected them to beat Oklahoma.

Their defense is improved this year.. If Watson catches fire.. Big things could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM
 
89 posts, read 79,470 times
Reputation: 489
I think Clemson is going to drop a game, possibly the FSU game that's coming up. People keep comparing them to FSU in Jameis Winston's last season there, but I think they're more like Ohio State from last season...and that OSU finally ran out of luck, and it cost them a spot in the playoff. It's probably not going to cost Clemson just because no one else in the ACC will stop losing. Even vs Louisville, Louisville would need Clemson to lose one more time.

I think Michigan is better than OSU, as others have said. If the Rutgers and Wisconsin comparisons have taught me anything, regardless of where those games were for each team, it's that Michigan's defense is better. OSU is younger than Michigan, and they did struggle to move the ball against Wisconsin (another good defense) until Barrett started running it. I just think Harbaugh is going to have a game plan where OSU is barely going to be able to get past Michigan's defense, regardless of what Barrett tries to do. Plus, Wisconsin showed you can run it on OSU, and Michigan has about 4, maybe even 5 by The Game, running backs and then a big FB they use...different types of runners, plus Peppers and the fly sweep with McDoom and Chesson/Darboh. Michigan will move the ball on OSU. Essentially, Wisconsin showed Michigan how to beat OSU, and Michigan has the players and the coaches to pull that off more so than Wisconsin does.

Bama goes without saying...the rest of the SEC is just not that good, no coaches anywhere near Saban's planet. A&M is overrated. The SEC East is crap. LSU will have too many losses in the SEC, even if they do beat Bama, I predict.

Really don't want to jinx Michigan (that's my alma mater/team), but there is a surprise team every season in it and I think Michigan is going to be that because the media loves them some Ohio State, they're mixed on whether Michigan is even top-4 caliber as far as just ranking the best teams and I bet the playoff committee has OSU in the top 4 over Michigan all the way until Michigan beats OSU, if Michigan beats them. Except for 2011, I never believe Michigan can beat OSU--not even in 2006 when it was 1 vs 2--but I feel good about it this season.

Soooo...

1) Bama (undefeated)
2) Michigan (undefeated)
3) Washington (undefeated)
4) Clemson (one loss)
--
Big 12--everyone has at least one loss, ultimately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 02:28 PM
 
2,834 posts, read 1,774,625 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
I think Clemson is going to drop a game, possibly the FSU game that's coming up. People keep comparing them to FSU in Jameis Winston's last season there, but I think they're more like Ohio State from last season...and that OSU finally ran out of luck, and it cost them a spot in the playoff. It's probably not going to cost Clemson just because no one else in the ACC will stop losing. Even vs Louisville, Louisville would need Clemson to lose one more time.

I think Michigan is better than OSU, as others have said. If the Rutgers and Wisconsin comparisons have taught me anything, regardless of where those games were for each team, it's that Michigan's defense is better. OSU is younger than Michigan, and they did struggle to move the ball against Wisconsin (another good defense) until Barrett started running it. I just think Harbaugh is going to have a game plan where OSU is barely going to be able to get past Michigan's defense, regardless of what Barrett tries to do. Plus, Wisconsin showed you can run it on OSU, and Michigan has about 4, maybe even 5 by The Game, running backs and then a big FB they use...different types of runners, plus Peppers and the fly sweep with McDoom and Chesson/Darboh. Michigan will move the ball on OSU. Essentially, Wisconsin showed Michigan how to beat OSU, and Michigan has the players and the coaches to pull that off more so than Wisconsin does.

Bama goes without saying...the rest of the SEC is just not that good, no coaches anywhere near Saban's planet. A&M is overrated. The SEC East is crap. LSU will have too many losses in the SEC, even if they do beat Bama, I predict.

Really don't want to jinx Michigan (that's my alma mater/team), but there is a surprise team every season in it and I think Michigan is going to be that because the media loves them some Ohio State, they're mixed on whether Michigan is even top-4 caliber as far as just ranking the best teams and I bet the playoff committee has OSU in the top 4 over Michigan all the way until Michigan beats OSU, if Michigan beats them. Except for 2011, I never believe Michigan can beat OSU--not even in 2006 when it was 1 vs 2--but I feel good about it this season.

Soooo...

1) Bama (undefeated)
2) Michigan (undefeated)
3) Washington (undefeated)
4) Clemson (one loss)
--
Big 12--everyone has at least one loss, ultimately

I know Zeke Elliot isn't walking through the door, and OSU isn't trotting out the same offensive PERSONNEL as last year but Ohio State spent 2 1/2 quarters running two plays against Michigan (save the TD toss to Jalin Marshall) running zone read, the CONCEPT and SCHEME is not changing this year. I'm an OSU fan, I would be with you if I saw Michigan this year stop that scheme with the kind of personnel that OSU will employ. The good news for Michigan they have almost everyone back on the unit the bad news they have almost everyone back on that unit that OSU ran at will on. Different year? Sure. But If Michigan can contain the zone read a little will they contain the adjustment the OSU will have to make. Last season, OSU didn't even have to make an adjustment.


Being an OSU fan for the greater part of 25 years, Wisconsin is an entirely different team in front of their fans at night (they have the 2nd or 3rd best home record since 2002 at Home in all of CFB). Wisconsin was a great match-up for Ohio St. leading up to the Michigan game. I look at Wisconsin as a team that does some of the same things as Michigan, and I'd argue Michigan executes better. You mention the fly sweep, and it was highly successful until OSU made a halftime adjustment. The corner didn't follow the guy in motion and the safety or weak side slot corner picked up the guy in motion- and Wisconsin couldn't execute the play. I full hearted believe Michigan's personnel is MOSTLY better than Wisconsin. I expect Ohio St. will take away a lot of things from the Wisconsin game to help them down the road in some of these games. Whereas, Michigan has very little if anything at all to prep for the game. The Iowa game and Michigan St. game??? Playing in Michigan save Rutgers thus far?

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 10-21-2016 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2016, 02:20 PM
 
578 posts, read 330,710 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
I think Clemson is going to drop a game, possibly the FSU game that's coming up. People keep comparing them to FSU in Jameis Winston's last season there, but I think they're more like Ohio State from last season...and that OSU finally ran out of luck, and it cost them a spot in the playoff. It's probably not going to cost Clemson just because no one else in the ACC will stop losing. Even vs Louisville, Louisville would need Clemson to lose one more time.

I think Michigan is better than OSU, as others have said. If the Rutgers and Wisconsin comparisons have taught me anything, regardless of where those games were for each team, it's that Michigan's defense is better. OSU is younger than Michigan, and they did struggle to move the ball against Wisconsin (another good defense) until Barrett started running it. I just think Harbaugh is going to have a game plan where OSU is barely going to be able to get past Michigan's defense, regardless of what Barrett tries to do. Plus, Wisconsin showed you can run it on OSU, and Michigan has about 4, maybe even 5 by The Game, running backs and then a big FB they use...different types of runners, plus Peppers and the fly sweep with McDoom and Chesson/Darboh. Michigan will move the ball on OSU. Essentially, Wisconsin showed Michigan how to beat OSU, and Michigan has the players and the coaches to pull that off more so than Wisconsin does.

Bama goes without saying...the rest of the SEC is just not that good, no coaches anywhere near Saban's planet. A&M is overrated. The SEC East is crap. LSU will have too many losses in the SEC, even if they do beat Bama, I predict.

Really don't want to jinx Michigan (that's my alma mater/team), but there is a surprise team every season in it and I think Michigan is going to be that because the media loves them some Ohio State, they're mixed on whether Michigan is even top-4 caliber as far as just ranking the best teams and I bet the playoff committee has OSU in the top 4 over Michigan all the way until Michigan beats OSU, if Michigan beats them. Except for 2011, I never believe Michigan can beat OSU--not even in 2006 when it was 1 vs 2--but I feel good about it this season.

Soooo...

1) Bama (undefeated)
2) Michigan (undefeated)
3) Washington (undefeated)
4) Clemson (one loss)
--
Big 12--everyone has at least one loss, ultimately
Who you think in the big 12 can beat baylor??Heck if last year their top qb didn't get injured they would be in the playoffs and not oklahoma.Plus who in the ACC is gonna give clemson a lost??

As for michigan or ohio state those two is were its a sticky mark but last year ohio state did dominate michigan but this year might be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2016, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Murphy, North Carolina
2,084 posts, read 1,017,965 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
Who you think in the big 12 can beat baylor??Heck if last year their top qb didn't get injured they would be in the playoffs and not oklahoma.Plus who in the ACC is gonna give clemson a lost??

As for michigan or ohio state those two is were its a sticky mark but last year ohio state did dominate michigan but this year might be different.
Everyone's ignoring West Virginia right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2016, 11:44 PM
 
1,185 posts, read 874,675 times
Reputation: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I know Zeke Elliot isn't walking through the door, and OSU isn't trotting out the same offensive PERSONNEL as last year but Ohio State spent 2 1/2 quarters running two plays against Michigan (save the TD toss to Jalin Marshall) running zone read, the CONCEPT and SCHEME is not changing this year. I'm an OSU fan, I would be with you if I saw Michigan this year stop that scheme with the kind of personnel that OSU will employ. The good news for Michigan they have almost everyone back on the unit the bad news they have almost everyone back on that unit that OSU ran at will on. Different year? Sure. But If Michigan can contain the zone read a little will they contain the adjustment the OSU will have to make. Last season, OSU didn't even have to make an adjustment.


Being an OSU fan for the greater part of 25 years, Wisconsin is an entirely different team in front of their fans at night (they have the 2nd or 3rd best home record since 2002 at Home in all of CFB). Wisconsin was a great match-up for Ohio St. leading up to the Michigan game. I look at Wisconsin as a team that does some of the same things as Michigan, and I'd argue Michigan executes better. You mention the fly sweep, and it was highly successful until OSU made a halftime adjustment. The corner didn't follow the guy in motion and the safety or weak side slot corner picked up the guy in motion- and Wisconsin couldn't execute the play. I full hearted believe Michigan's personnel is MOSTLY better than Wisconsin. I expect Ohio St. will take away a lot of things from the Wisconsin game to help them down the road in some of these games. Whereas, Michigan has very little if anything at all to prep for the game. The Iowa game and Michigan St. game??? Playing in Michigan save Rutgers thus far?
Wow, I was surprised by the game tonight. As for the defense at Michigan being the same unit as last year, the LB's are new, and there are some new faces on the defensive line. I think it will be a good game and come down to which team is healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2016, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Reputation: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
Who you think in the big 12 can beat baylor??Heck if last year their top qb didn't get injured they would be in the playoffs and not oklahoma.Plus who in the ACC is gonna give clemson a lost??

As for michigan or ohio state those two is were its a sticky mark but last year ohio state did dominate michigan but this year might be different.



I think West Virginia will beat Baylor.


Speaking of West Virginia, they are the darkhorse in this race. Their 2 toughest remaining games (Oklahoma & Baylor) are both in Morgantown. And speaking of the Baylor/West Virginia game normally the Big 12 would get dinged since it doesn't have a championship game, but the WVU/Baylor game, IIRC, is on championship Saturday, so that will be a defacto championship game anyways if both teams keep winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2016, 06:07 AM
 
1,578 posts, read 982,048 times
Reputation: 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
I think Clemson is going to drop a game, Soooo...

1) Bama (undefeated)
2) Michigan (undefeated)
3) Washington (undefeated)
4) Clemson (one loss)
Rens, good post & list. I've obviously had to abandon my initial Final Four pick of Stanford.. So I'm with you on your 1 thru 3.
Think Clemson still has a good shot. But like some other recent posters, I'm starting to see a good opening for West Virginia. They looked good yesterday, stay undefeated & climbing. Wish WVU had a stronger long-range kicking game tho.. but I'm gonna submit now: Bama, Michigan, Washington, and West Virginia.
It's all fluid, but this WVU season could be as fun as their 1988 near-champion run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top