U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:16 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,196,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The Pac12 doesn't get respect due to two reasons. First they are not seen in the east with the late games. Secondly, The west in general is not excepted as a football center. This despite the fact that USC, Oregon, Stanford and Washington have exceptional histories in West Coast football. You could add BYU And Boise State to the mix.
Yes, unless it's Stanford, USC or UCLA. I do acknowledge Fox mentioned UW'S last championship. It seems like OR is forgotten now. Everything you wrote I agree with, which is part of why Utah getting the three teammates from the major football prep in FL is a big deal. One had his share of true Freshman mistakes today.

Boise State gets major coverage, IMO, by many. Especially comparing market size and university accomplishments. Man, I'd get close to decapitated if one person read that. That poster always "corrects" my posts about UT. I finally confronted that person. Anyway, BSU gets far more coverage than say WSU or other WA schools.

BYU.....well Lavelle won a championship and has sent many good players to the NFL. Stake will get them on track, as they played dirty under Mendenhall. They were just rejected by the Big 12.

BTW, does GameDay always do the thing with Mike Leach? That was hilarious

I'm honestly not upset with the game outcome, put I'm livid about the ESPN discussion about the PAC-12.

Thx

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 09:25 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,196,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I'm watching game four of the series right now. Seriously I have kind of an evil desire to see Cleveland extend the Cubs dry out. I don't know why I feel that way but I do and I think it is because it is so long of a drought that should continue. I lived in the Chicago area for a period of time and I understand cubs fans and they would never be the same once their team wins it all. Kind of hard to explain but it does make sense if you know cubs fans.
I'm watching too, part of why I asked. I didn't see the first two games but the Indians produce more offense. IDK if that is do to lacking "pieces", strategies etc. from the White Sox or positives for Cleveland.

I'm aware of your time near Chi town. I knew many, and worked with them too. I have a sense of what you are saying. It's like their "Chip on their Shoulder" if removed will make them whine about something else. They also like to remind others only their teams matter and are the best. I really do have a good idea of what you mean.

Dumb question. How come the games are played so close together? Is it like part of winning is pacing the pitchers etc. to make it through several games just hours apart?

I still think of how many were loyal fans and never saw playoffs. Chi town sports. UGH!

Thx

MSR

Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM

5,010 posts, read 14,515,956 times
The rest of "Utah Man"...

(Usually not sung at games)

VERSE
And when we prom the avenue, all lined up in a row, and arm in arm and step in time as down the street we go. No matter if a freshman green, or in a senior’s gown, the people all admit we are the warmest gang in town.

CHORUS (same)

VERSE
We may not live forever on this jolly good old sphere, but while we do we’ll live a life of merriment and cheer. And when our college days are o’er and night is drawing nigh, with parting breath we’ll sing that song: “A Utah Man Am I.

According to a 2008 Salt Lake Tribune article, the origins of "Utah Man" have been lost tohistory, but legend has it that in 1904 Utah coach Harvey Holmes and hisplayers wrote the words, which were superimposed on an old folk song,"Solomon Levi," composed by Fred Seever.

There isn't much football spirit in the song, but thereis a lot of plain old spirits.

"Utah Man" once contained the line "We drink our stein of lager and we smoke our big cigars," betraying its origins as a drinking song and a not-so-subtle thumb in the eye of the school's Mormon leadership. The line was replaced with "Our coeds are the fairest and each one's a shining star," giving a nod to ladies and upright behavior in a song otherwise devoted to the primitive rites of male bonding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football