U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 PM

529 posts, read 280,643 times

Advertisements

Washington just beat Colorado by 31.

Michigan beat Colorado by 17.

That's a full 2 touchdowns better vs. a common opponent.

Case closed for good now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 04:13 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Washington just beat Colorado by 31.

Michigan beat Colorado by 17.

That's a full 2 touchdowns better vs. a common opponent.

Case closed for good now.
Looks like my poor Buffs helped put Washington up there. Do keep in mind Co quarterback got hurt almost before the game even started. Would WA have won? Yes, by the score they did? No

Last edited by nmnita; 12-03-2016 at 04:23 AM..

Old 12-03-2016, 02:52 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Looks like my poor Buffs helped put Washington up there. Do keep in mind Co quarterback got hurt almost before the game even started. Would WA have won? Yes, by the score they did? No
It was a similar story to earlier in the season when Colorado and the game was very close. As soon as Liufau went down things changed.

It was a big win for the Huskies who have clearly punched their ticket into the playoffs. They obviously would prefer a trip to Glendale over a trip to Atlanta. Something tells me they will have a lot more fans travel to Arizona vs. Georgia.

Colorado should now be playing in Pasadena to end their season.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Kind of like how Colorado was ahead of Michigan 28-24 before Liufau got hurt in that game?

Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 PM

6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
So I'm really interested to see how much bull$#!t the committee is feeding us with "conference titles matter" and "if possible we'll take head to head results into account" while also rewarding teams that scheduled decently and not creampuffs.

You have to take either BOTH Ohio State AND Penn State or take neither. You can't really leave out 1 vs. the other. Sure, Ohio State may have played the toughest non conference schedule in the country, but they didn't even represent their conference in their title game, much less won the conference. Penn State meanwhile has the head-to-head win over Ohio State, granted it was via blocked field goal, but if the committee is going to penalize Oklahoma State for the officiating error vs. Central Michigan, they should credit Penn State with that win. Penn State also has the all important "won the conference championship." So now because there are 4 spots (which what I said earlier this week was an awful idea anyways [you either take 6 or 8 or leave it the old way) your going to have complaining from at least 1 side:

From the Ohio State perspective: "What's the point of playing a road game at Oklahoma if it's going to leave us out of the playoff with an 11-1 record only loss on the road to a top 5 team on a blocked kick??"
From the Penn State perspective: "The committee tells us conference champions are the end all be all and not only do we have that that Ohio State doesn't, we also beat them head-to-head in the regular season! Plus, the precedent has already been set for this scenario once already: Back in 2014 when Baylor and TCU tied for the Big 12 title and BOTH got left out of the playoffs despite an 11-1 record each with the main reason being since they weren't conference champions (no big 12 championship) they were only co-champs, they took Florida State as an ACC championship instead."
From the Washington perspective: "We did exactly what you, the committee wanted us to do: win the conference in dominating fashion. Sure, our schedule sucked, and the Pac-12 sucked, but is it our fault Oregon & Arizona were terrible, Arizona State couldn't stop a nose bleed, UCLA was incredibly overrated, and we got unlucky playing USC (the hottest team in the country) instead of UCLA who was a train wreck?? If they play UCLA instead of USC they are 12-0 and safely in."

How much easier would this be if Wisconsin had just won : Alabama 1, Ohio State 2, Clemson 3 Washington 4. Problem solved. Even 6 teams isn't that difficult really: First 4, Penn State at 5, than you have to decide which team you want @ #6: Either Michigan or Oklahoma (I'd take Oklahoma) but you can cherry pick that selection. Top 8, with the P5 conference champs isn't that difficult either: Alabama, Penn State, Oklahoma, Washington, Clemson. Western Michigan would be my auto qualifier for 6th (a non P5 that finished unbeaten), Ohio State is easily a 7th and than the final spot comes down to: Louisville, Wisconsin, Michigan.

I thought the playoff was supposed to end the BCS controversy. If anything, it's added MORE controversy! This year would be pretty straightforward: Clemson would pass Ohio State, rightfully deserved, and play Alabama. Penn State & Washington would play in the Rose Bowl. Oklahoma would go to the Fiesta Bowl. Ohio State would go to a BCS bowl.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So I'm really interested to see how much bull$#!t the committee is feeding us with "conference titles matter" and "if possible we'll take head to head results into account" while also rewarding teams that scheduled decently and not creampuffs.

You have to take either BOTH Ohio State AND Penn State or take neither. You can't really leave out 1 vs. the other. Sure, Ohio State may have played the toughest non conference schedule in the country, but they didn't even represent their conference in their title game, much less won the conference. Penn State meanwhile has the head-to-head win over Ohio State, granted it was via blocked field goal, but if the committee is going to penalize Oklahoma State for the officiating error vs. Central Michigan, they should credit Penn State with that win. Penn State also has the all important "won the conference championship." So now because there are 4 spots (which what I said earlier this week was an awful idea anyways [you either take 6 or 8 or leave it the old way) your going to have complaining from at least 1 side:

From the Ohio State perspective: "What's the point of playing a road game at Oklahoma if it's going to leave us out of the playoff with an 11-1 record only loss on the road to a top 5 team on a blocked kick??"
From the Penn State perspective: "The committee tells us conference champions are the end all be all and not only do we have that that Ohio State doesn't, we also beat them head-to-head in the regular season! Plus, the precedent has already been set for this scenario once already: Back in 2014 when Baylor and TCU tied for the Big 12 title and BOTH got left out of the playoffs despite an 11-1 record each with the main reason being since they weren't conference champions (no big 12 championship) they were only co-champs, they took Florida State as an ACC championship instead."
From the Washington perspective: "We did exactly what you, the committee wanted us to do: win the conference in dominating fashion. Sure, our schedule sucked, and the Pac-12 sucked, but is it our fault Oregon & Arizona were terrible, Arizona State couldn't stop a nose bleed, UCLA was incredibly overrated, and we got unlucky playing USC (the hottest team in the country) instead of UCLA who was a train wreck?? If they play UCLA instead of USC they are 12-0 and safely in."

How much easier would this be if Wisconsin had just won : Alabama 1, Ohio State 2, Clemson 3 Washington 4. Problem solved. Even 6 teams isn't that difficult really: First 4, Penn State at 5, than you have to decide which team you want @ #6: Either Michigan or Oklahoma (I'd take Oklahoma) but you can cherry pick that selection. Top 8, with the P5 conference champs isn't that difficult either: Alabama, Penn State, Oklahoma, Washington, Clemson. Western Michigan would be my auto qualifier for 6th (a non P5 that finished unbeaten), Ohio State is easily a 7th and than the final spot comes down to: Louisville, Wisconsin, Michigan.

I thought the playoff was supposed to end the BCS controversy. If anything, it's added MORE controversy! This year would be pretty straightforward: Clemson would pass Ohio State, rightfully deserved, and play Alabama. Penn State & Washington would play in the Rose Bowl. Oklahoma would go to the Fiesta Bowl. Ohio State would go to a BCS bowl.

Obviously nobody knows for sure, but if I were a betting man I would say Washington is out.

Penn St. will likely take that spot.

Regardless of what the committee does, this is good for the future of college football, because it ensures at least 2 teams with a legitimate beef, and will force them to go to 8.

Again, you really can't do 6, because a bye is too big of an advantage, especially at this stage of the season.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:30 PM

I would go:
Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State. Washington is a good team, but your non conference schedule was Rutgers (2-10), Idaho (8-4 but a Sun Belt team), and Portland State (a 3-8 FCS team). Take your Rose Bowl bid, and beat the crap out of the whiner Harbaugh! Personally, I'd rather play in the Rose Bowl (especially when you have a great chance to win), than get pounded by Alabama in the playoff. You think Mark Dantonio would trade in his 30+ point loss to Bama last year for a Rose Bowl victory?? I'm sorry, but you can't lose a game with that schedule. Sorry Michigan, don't fumble at your the opponents 1 yard line and you are in. Not even going to mention Oklahoma because Oklahoma probably needed Clemson, Washington AND Penn State to lose in order to get in.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:32 PM

Also it would be AWESOME to have Washington go to the Rose against Michigan

Old 12-03-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Obviously nobody knows for sure, but if I were a betting man I would say Washington is out.

Penn St. will likely take that spot.

Regardless of what the committee does, this is good for the future of college football, because it ensures at least 2 teams with a legitimate beef, and will force them to go to 8.

Again, you really can't do 6, because a bye is too big of an advantage, especially at this stage of the season.

You can easily do 6. The playoffs with 4 already take too long as it is:

#4 vs. #5 December 26 night
#3 vs. #6 December 26 afternoon
#4/5 vs. #1 January 1 night
#6/3 vs. #2 January 2 night
Final: The following Saturday (minimum 5 days rest), night. If January 2 is a Sunday, the final would be January 8. If January 2 is a Monday, the final would be the following Saturday the 14. There's already like 10 days off between the semifinals and finals anyways, what's adding a few extra days??

Also, this takes care of 2 problems currently I have with the playoffs:
1) Gets the semifinals off of New Years Eve when no one is watching
2) Gets the championship game on a Saturday night which is what it should be. Yah, the NCAA tourney final shouldn't be on a Monday night either, but the games don't take too long it's just that coverage starts to damn late. A college football final with easily 3:15 worth of air time and probably closer to 4 hours with the extra commercials should NOT be played on a Monday with the game ending after midnight on the east coast.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
You can easily do 6. The playoffs with 4 already take too long as it is:

#4 vs. #5 December 26 night
#3 vs. #6 December 26 afternoon
#4/5 vs. #1 January 1 night
#6/3 vs. #2 January 2 night
Final: The following Saturday (minimum 5 days rest), night. If January 2 is a Sunday, the final would be January 8. If January 2 is a Monday, the final would be the following Saturday the 14. There's already like 10 days off between the semifinals and finals anyways, what's adding a few extra days??

Also, this takes care of 2 problems currently I have with the playoffs:
1) Gets the semifinals off of New Years Eve when no one is watching
2) Gets the championship game on a Saturday night which is what it should be. Yah, the NCAA tourney final shouldn't be on a Monday night either, but the games don't take too long it's just that coverage starts to damn late. A college football final with easily 3:15 worth of air time and probably closer to 4 hours with the extra commercials should NOT be played on a Monday with the game ending after midnight on the east coast.
It's not about days off, it's more to do with attrition during a tough season.
Sitting there getting more healthy while your opponents are beating each other up is a huge advantage.

I totally agree with a Saturday night game and it sucks when they play so late on a Monday night. HATE IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or