U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 AM

1,185 posts, read 874,086 times

Advertisements

My vote would be:

1. Alabama
2. Washington
3. Clemson
4. Penn State

I think OSU has a decent argument, but I can't put them over a team that beat OSU and won the Big Ten championship. We'll find out a little later today if the committee agrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
The rankings are in:

#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Ohio State
#4 Washington
#5 Penn State
#6 Michigan

Old 12-04-2016, 10:49 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The rankings are in:

#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Ohio State
#4 Washington
#5 Penn State
#6 Michigan
But apparently the nimrods who vote on it are going to be more taken with the fact two loss Penn State seemed more impressive lately versus one loss/higher ranked Washington who won their conference championship convincingly (30 points). Little wonder this country can't get voting right on anything...

Old 12-04-2016, 11:44 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times
Oh yeah, make sure to bring politics into this.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:45 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
That loss to Pittsburgh came back to bite Penn State in the ass.

Ohio State going anyway, is not a surprise to me.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:00 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
That loss to Pittsburgh came back to bite Penn State in the ass.

Ohio State going anyway, is not a surprise to me.
Did anyone seriously believe that this committee would remove Ohio State?

Old 12-04-2016, 01:11 PM

529 posts, read 280,004 times
I think what the committee has just said is:

Yes Conference championships are valuable and highly regarded, BUT when there are 4 teams from Power 5 conferences with 1 loss or less they will be the 4 in the playoff.

Secondly, scheduling DOES matter, though it can bite you in the ass. For example if Washington had picked up another loss, and had been a 2 loss conference champ then certainly Penn St or Oklahoma would have gotten the nod ahead of them BECAUSE of their week SOS.

If you lose 2 games you better hope there are less than 4 who do not. THEN you can point to a conference championship and a tough SOS to get you in ahead of other 2 loss teams. So far we haven't seen that scenario play out, but no doubt we will at some point.

So you MIGHT have teams who back away from scheduling tougher non-con games (which is a step backwards IMO), BUT they will be doing so knowing that if they have a letdown that will hurt their chances.

A team like Ohio St. just made clear that you beat another conference's champion in non-con play and that carries pretty good weight.

Fact of the matter is Ohio St has a MUCH stronger resume than Penn St. regardless of the one 3 point loss head to head.

You can't use that ONE game and then disregard Penn ST. getting blown out by 50 or whatever, AND losing to a 4 loss Pittsburgh. That's just not the way it works in real life.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Did anyone seriously believe that this committee would remove Ohio State?
I think some people were HOPING and they were pointing to 2014, when the committee used the "not a conference champion" excuse for leaving out TCU who fell from #3 to #6 after a 50 point win.

The BIG difference (at least IMO) is that they didn't exclude TCU in favor of a 2-loss conference champion, which is what they would have had to do this season to remove Ohio State.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:43 PM

1,185 posts, read 874,086 times
I think the committee got it wrong this year. I think Penn State is playing as good or better than OSU, just took them a while to get there. OSU barely escaped with a win at a 9 loss MSU, and barely beat a Michigan team that lost to Iowa. They still needed help from the refs to beat Michigan even though Michigan gave the ball to OSU 3 times. If head to head doesn't matter, maybe Michigan should have got the spot instead of OSU?

Old 12-04-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I think the committee got it wrong this year. I think Penn State is playing as good or better than OSU, just took them a while to get there. OSU barely escaped with a win at a 9 loss MSU, and barely beat a Michigan team that lost to Iowa. They still needed help from the refs to beat Michigan even though Michigan gave the ball to OSU 3 times. If head to head doesn't matter, maybe Michigan should have got the spot instead of OSU?
Head to head DOES matter, but it isn't the ONLY thing that matters.

Fact is Ohio St. has ONE LOSS. Anybody else you want to put in front of them has 2 losses. It really is that simple.

Michigan doesn't turn the ball over so many times, they beat Ohio St., play Wisc for the B1G championship and are in the CFP as the #2 ahead of Clemson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or