U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,522,371 times
Reputation: 5304

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
Sat, Sep 3
vs
Rutgers
W 13 - 48
Final
Sat, Sep 10
vs
Idaho
W 14 - 59
Final
Sat, Sep 17
vs
Portland State
W 3 - 41
Final
Sat, Sep 24
@
Arizona
W 35 - 28
Final
Fri, Sep 30
vs
Stanford
W 6 - 44
Final
Sat, Oct 8
@
Oregon
W 70 - 21
Final
Sat, Oct 22
vs
Oregon State
W 17 - 41
Final
Sat, Oct 29
@
Utah
W 31 - 24
Final
Sat, Nov 5
@
California
W 66 - 27
Final
Sat, Nov 12
vs
USC
L 26 - 13
Final
Sat, Nov 19
vs
Arizona State
W 18 - 44
Final
Fri, Nov 25
@
Washington State
W 45 - 17
Final
Video Recap
Fri, Dec 2
vs
Colorado

This was washington's schedule this year NO TOP TEAM that is why they were questioned in the playoffs!They had a weak schedule!!!
Colorado was #8 when UW throttled them this past weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM
 
2,834 posts, read 1,773,882 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
To me the Ohio St. Clemson match-up is an interesting one.

Personally, although I do feel like both are deserving of their respective ranking, they both have been playing sloppy football over the last month.

I THINK, Ohio St. will score quite a bit on that Clemson defense so therefore I think the Buckeye's win, but we all saw last year how Watson can put the team on his back and keep Clemson in any game.

Definitely should be fun to watch.
It is a great matchup.

Ohio St. needs to execute better on offense. 75% of it is on the offensive coordinator and 25% is on JT Barrett. Clemson will give OSU an opportunity to get it going again on offense.

Clemson needs to execute better on defense. They allowed some points and yards this season to offensives that are nowhere near the level the Tigers will see the next two games.

I'm taking OSU 34-24.

I think OSU has the DBs to matchup with Clemson and the LBs (speed and athleticism)to spy and keep Watson from going wild on the ground. Watson can win this but I think it will take his best game - its not going to be easy he will face two first round corners and a couple LBers that are top of the draft types.

Now I think Alabama has to maintain status quo and they win it all although I'm curious to see Hurts against an opportunistic Buckeye defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM
 
4,022 posts, read 1,850,940 times
Reputation: 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Colorado was #8 when UW throttled them this past weekend.
And Michigan State was ranked 8th when Wisconsin beat them.
Should the Badgers get credit for beating a top 10 team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 AM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Reputation: 2774
You cannot assess a team's schedule until after the season is over. We see it all the time - preseason rankings being way off and teams that are ranked high lose early and then go on to have 3 or 4 loses.

Washington has beaten quality teams. They went on the road and beat Washington State and Utah and throttled Stanford at home. Their only loss was to USC who is one of the hottest teams in the country right now.

If anything, I put Clemson at the bottom of the 4 playoff teams right now. They lost at home to Pittsburgh and should have lost to NC State at home. I would not be surprised is Ohio State rolls them by 3 or 4 touchdowns.


I still do not understand all of the hate being thrown at Washington. They're 12-1 and the champions of the Pac 12 which is a power 5 conference. They clearly belong in the playoffs this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 AM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
And Michigan State was ranked 8th when Wisconsin beat them.
Should the Badgers get credit for beating a top 10 team?
The difference is that Colorado was 10-2 and ranked #8 at the end of the season when Washington throttled them. Wisconsin beat Michigan State the third week of the season. That's a bad argument. Michigan State also went on to finish 3-9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 AM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,866,693 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I still do not understand all of the hate being thrown at Washington.
Anybody reading this thread should have no trouble understanding the issue.

Penn State was the champion of the Big Ten, considered the best of the Power 5 conferences this year.

They beat Ohio State and Wisconsin among the top 10. Washington lost to USC, rated number 9, at home.

Washington advocates make USC sound like one of the four best teams in the country, largely because USC beat Washington at home. What a great, but ridiculous feat of logic. Penn State could make the same argument about its loss to Michigan, ranked higher than USC in the final playoff rankings, even though Penn State lost to Michigan on the road.

Rankings | College Football Playoff

Penn State had two losses, only because its independent schedule had two top 25 teams -- Temple and Pittsburgh (which beat number 2 Clemson at Clemson in addition to squeaking by Penn State in Pittsburgh; Penn State essentially is kept out of the playoffs by this loss) -- compared to the pathetic Washington independent schedule. If Penn State had scheduled independent schedule doormats, like Washington did, rather than Temple and Pitt, they would have been in the play-offs. I believe this is what most aggravates football fans -- the committee essentially rewarded Washington for its weak independent schedule versus Penn State.

So what's hard to understand when many think Penn State was more deserving of a play-off berth?

However, Penn State is thrilled to go to the Rose Bowl to play USC and avoid facing the Alabama juggernaut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 11:46 AM
 
578 posts, read 330,644 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Colorado was #8 when UW throttled them this past weekend.
Colorado only got ranked that high due to other team losses

Again uw had a weak schedule and they are a medicore team look at their schedule!!

their only tough oppent was colorado?lol they lost to usc by 13!!

NO TEAM in the playoffs expect washington lost by more then a field goal!!!

Clemson and osu lost by field goals or one point!!

washington lost be 13 points!!and they had a weak schedule!!

Their lucky the playoff committee let them in!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 11:50 AM
 
578 posts, read 330,644 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You cannot assess a team's schedule until after the season is over. We see it all the time - preseason rankings being way off and teams that are ranked high lose early and then go on to have 3 or 4 loses.

Washington has beaten quality teams. They went on the road and beat Washington State and Utah and throttled Stanford at home. Their only loss was to USC who is one of the hottest teams in the country right now.

If anything, I put Clemson at the bottom of the 4 playoff teams right now. They lost at home to Pittsburgh and should have lost to NC State at home. I would not be surprised is Ohio State rolls them by 3 or 4 touchdowns.


I still do not understand all of the hate being thrown at Washington. They're 12-1 and the champions of the Pac 12 which is a power 5 conference. They clearly belong in the playoffs this year.
Washington is a joke

EVERY TEAM in the playoffs only lost be a field goal or 1 point

washington lost by 13!!!

And bama crushed usc!!!

Washington doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs!!!

They faced NOBODY challening!!

And dude clemson almost beat bama last year did you forget?

Clemson also beat ohio state in 2014 bowl game!

clemson is ranked #2 for a reason!

penn state or michigan or heck oklahoma should be in the #4 stop!

not lil ol washington who cant beat usc!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 11:53 AM
 
4,022 posts, read 1,850,940 times
Reputation: 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The difference is that Colorado was 10-2 and ranked #8 at the end of the season when Washington throttled them. Wisconsin beat Michigan State the third week of the season. That's a bad argument. Michigan State also went on to finish 3-9.
I wasn't arguing, just saying that it is a FACT that Washington didn't beat a team who finished in the Top 10. Colorado is 11, so yeah it's kind of splitting hairs, but you essentially agree with my overall point which you stated in your first paragraph below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You cannot assess a team's schedule until after the season is over. We see it all the time - preseason rankings being way off and teams that are ranked high lose early and then go on to have 3 or 4 loses.

Washington has beaten quality teams. They went on the road and beat Washington State and Utah and throttled Stanford at home. Their only loss was to USC who is one of the hottest teams in the country right now.

If anything, I put Clemson at the bottom of the 4 playoff teams right now. They lost at home to Pittsburgh and should have lost to NC State at home. I would not be surprised is Ohio State rolls them by 3 or 4 touchdowns.


I still do not understand all of the hate being thrown at Washington. They're 12-1 and the champions of the Pac 12 which is a power 5 conference. They clearly belong in the playoffs this year.
I am in no way making an argument that Washington doesn't deserve a spot.

They are a 1 loss conference champ from a Power 5 conference. IMO that = DONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 11:55 AM
 
4,022 posts, read 1,850,940 times
Reputation: 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Anybody reading this thread should have no trouble understanding the issue.

Penn State was the champion of the Big Ten, considered the best of the Power 5 conferences this year.

They beat Ohio State and Wisconsin among the top 10. Washington lost to USC, rated number 9, at home.

Washington advocates make USC sound like one of the four best teams in the country, largely because USC beat Washington at home. What a great, but ridiculous feat of logic. Penn State could make the same argument about its loss to Michigan, ranked higher than USC in the final playoff rankings, even though Penn State lost to Michigan on the road.

Rankings | College Football Playoff

Penn State had two losses, only because its independent schedule had two top 25 teams -- Temple and Pittsburgh (which beat number 2 Clemson at Clemson in addition to squeaking by Penn State in Pittsburgh; Penn State essentially is kept out of the playoffs by this loss) -- compared to the pathetic Washington independent schedule. If Penn State had scheduled independent schedule doormats, like Washington did, rather than Temple and Pitt, they would have been in the play-offs. I believe this is what most aggravates football fans -- the committee essentially rewarded Washington for its weak independent schedule versus Penn State.

So what's hard to understand when many think Penn State was more deserving of a play-off berth?

However, Penn State is thrilled to go to the Rose Bowl to play USC and avoid facing the Alabama juggernaut.
Again, I know you have a hard time grasping the concept, but one last try.

Penn St. lost TWICE. 1 loss is better than 2 losses. If they lose only once they are in ahead of Washington because THEN SOS would become a deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top