U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 04:54 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times

Advertisements

I'm really playing more of a Devil's Advocate role here. As a disinterested party, it's clear that OSU fans are much cockier than Clemson fans. But that may possibly be because I know plenty of OSU alums while I don't know any Clemson alums.

I actually think Clemson will be able to zing the ball around a lot, though. The way you stop a QB from zinging the ball around is by punishing him with bone-crushing sacks. If OSU can do that, then they will be in a good position. But relying on a talented secondary to finish the job is a losing strategy since most receivers can find gaps in any coverage when given sufficient time. It's also a problem because pass interference is called more liberally nowadays, so receivers can go James Harden and get the zebras to throw flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 05:55 PM

447 posts, read 473,626 times
OSU fans remind me a lot of Oklahoma fans last year as our Orange Bowl game with them approached.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:05 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,782,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
OSU fans remind me a lot of Oklahoma fans last year as our Orange Bowl game with them approached.
Well OSU beat Oklahoma at their place in convincing fashion. I'm not going to fall in the scenario trap.

OSU is not a complete team.
Their offense has sputtered at times although I think there are some favorable matchups.
I'm more unimpressed by the statement that the OSU defense is on par with Clemson D not being cocky I just don't think that is accurate at all.

They play the game Dec. 31

Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 PM

I was comparing fans, not teams. I'm pretty confident in our defense's ability to hang with anyone. Venables will dial up plenty of heat, and he is not afraid to leave our DBs on an island. It usually works, but sometimes they will give up chunk plays. When that happens too often and it turns into a scoring contest, Deshaun Watson is more than able to take the game over. I know that OSU's defense is impressive and their ability to pick and score has been compared to Alabama, but I'm not sure they've seen a group of targets like Mike Williams, Deion Cain, Artavis Scott, Hunter Renfrow, and Jordan Leggett. All that being said, I think these teams are pretty evenly matched and I expect a good, close game. The x-factor may be that our guys definitely feel like they have unfinished business to take care of after 2015...

Old 12-21-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
I was comparing fans, not teams. I'm pretty confident in our defense's ability to hang with anyone. Venables will dial up plenty of heat, and he is not afraid to leave our DBs on an island. It usually works, but sometimes they will give up chunk plays. When that happens too often and it turns into a scoring contest, Deshaun Watson is more than able to take the game over. I know that OSU's defense is impressive and their ability to pick and score has been compared to Alabama, but I'm not sure they've seen a group of targets like Mike Williams, Deion Cain, Artavis Scott, Hunter Renfrow, and Jordan Leggett. All that being said, I think these teams are pretty evenly matched and I expect a good, close game. The x-factor may be that our guys definitely feel like they have unfinished business to take care of after 2015...
I agree with this. X factor could be a number of things like coaching and special teams. I'll take Urban and OSU special teams.

Clemson has a great group of WR and a QB at times that can absolutely dominate a game. It may come down to what NFL talent wins out. Great group of WRs.... covering those WRs are Lattimore, Conley and Hooker...first round talents.

On offense...I think OSU may come out and pound in between the guards Control the ball somewhat against the urban Meyer principles. OSU could easily get 50 carries between JT, Samuel, and Weber. It's easy to say let's stack the box but it's easier for LBs and DEs not to play the read option the right way and give up big plays

Lots of talk on here about 2015. I think a one loss OSU team from the past year is just as hungry to take care of business this year and don't forget some of these guys know what it's like to win a college football championship.
Both teams beat Oklahoma impressively, both have been impressive and unimpressive at times this year. Which team is more impressive based on those performances- will it matter? It will be a great game. Clemson boards are saying the Tigers will put up 50 points. If they can they will win and win the following week as well

Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM

If it were not for Urban Meyer, I would consider the Tigers the clear favorite. It's tough to bet against Urban Meyer when he has this much prep time.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:00 AM

For all of the talk about Mike Williams, I don't think he's the best receiver on his team in terms of (a) the most 'sure' hands and (b) the best route runner. Sure, he's a more prototypical NFL receiver in the mold of Sammy Watkins or Dez Bryant, but Hunter Renfrow, imo, is the white version of Santana Moss. I think he gets slept on because (a) yes, he's White and (b) he's not very big. But he's fast, runs precise routes, and has a knack for getting open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhRpH2ghgw

Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For all of the talk about Mike Williams, I don't think he's the best receiver on his team in terms of (a) the most 'sure' hands and (b) the best route runner. Sure, he's a more prototypical NFL receiver in the mold of Sammy Watkins or Dez Bryant, but Hunter Renfrow, imo, is the white version of Santana Moss. I think he gets slept on because (a) yes, he's White and (b) he's not very big. But he's fast, runs precise routes, and has a knack for getting open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhRpH2ghgw
He's very good. I know he lines up in the slot quite a bit so I'm hoping OSU adjusts the matchups accordingly with Lattimore or Conley.

I'd put Conley on Williams. Conley is 6'2'" kind of a glider with good ball skills.
Renfrow should draw Lattimore. 6' more athletic and quicker than Conley, he's skyrocketing up draft boards.
Damon Webb is OSU third corner he's talented but struggled at times
Denzel Ward also in the mix who is the fastest Guy on the team.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 PM

So how exactly is Dabo Swinney recruiting all of this talent (in other words, how much is he paying their families?) The WRs he recruits (Sammy Watkins, Deon Cain, Artavis Scott, etc.) are mostly from Florida and would have been sure Canes, Gators or Noles back in the early 00s. Same question about Washington and how they are able to get guys from Southern California to commit to them rather than USC or UCLA.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:11 PM

Dabo has always been a good recruiter throughout his coaching career. He is the most positive, upbeat person you'll ever see and that resonates with a lot of kids. He also graduates his players and that resonates with their parents. He was the recruiting coordinator and receivers coach on Tommy Bowden's staff at Clemson prior to replacing him as head coach. And no, if we were paying players you can be sure one of our ACC rivals or our arch-rival Gamecock cousins would have gotten wind of it by now and dropped a dime on us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or