U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,536,542 times

Advertisements

Washington: Chris Petersen
USC/UCLA: No big name coaches (Clay Helton and Jim Mora are not big names)

College programs are about the coaches. See Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh.

Chris Petersen already established himself at Boise State (Colorado made a mistake by hiring Dan Hawkins. It was always Chris Petersen that was the brains of the operation)

To me he is big time already. If I was a star from California I wouldn't hesitate to sign up with Washington vs local schools because Chris Petersen knows what he is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:48 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Dabo has always been a good recruiter throughout his coaching career. He is the most positive, upbeat person you'll ever see and that resonates with a lot of kids. He also graduates his players and that resonates with their parents. He was the recruiting coordinator and receivers coach on Tommy Bowden's staff at Clemson prior to replacing him as head coach. And no, if we were paying players you can be sure one of our ACC rivals or our arch-rival Gamecock cousins would have gotten wind of it by now and dropped a dime on us...
Yeah, I guess attitude makes a big difference. I'd rather play for Steve Kerr than Bobby Knight if I had the choice.

Here's an interesting article on Clemson's recruiting in Florida.

Can Florida coaches clog Clemson

Whenever I'm comparing college football rosters, I look to see how many of their skill players come from Florida. Out of the Miami area in the last few years alone, you've got Antonio Brown, Jonathan Vilma, Devin Hester, Amari Cooper, Joey Bosa, Sammy Watkins, Sean Taylor, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Andre Johnson, Patrick Peterson, Ochocinco, Antrel Rolle, etc. I just saw that Calvin Ridley is from Coconut Creek, which doesn't surprise me. Just noticed Teddy Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson are from that area as well. And that's just Miami. If you look at the state as a whole, then you have to include ATGs like Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp.

So anytime you see a roster with guys from Liberty City, Miami, you know that team's gonna be raw. If I were a top coach like Meyer or Saban, I would coach at Miami, buy a mansion on Star Island, and dominate college football while drinking daiquiris during the work week. They wouldn't even have to travel much to recruit since so much talent is right there.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-23-2016 at 04:15 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 12:08 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Washington: Chris Petersen
USC/UCLA: No big name coaches (Clay Helton and Jim Mora are not big names)

College programs are about the coaches. See Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh.

Chris Petersen already established himself at Boise State (Colorado made a mistake by hiring Dan Hawkins. It was always Chris Petersen that was the brains of the operation)

To me he is big time already. If I was a star from California I wouldn't hesitate to sign up with Washington vs local schools because Chris Petersen knows what he is doing.
What Chris Peterson did at Boise State is nothing short of amazing. He took a school most people outside of the Pacific Northwest had never heard of and turned it into a legitimate football program. He managed to convince kids from Southern California and Arizona to come up to Boise to play football.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:39 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,130,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What Chris Peterson did at Boise State is nothing short of amazing. He took a school most people outside of the Pacific Northwest had never heard of and turned it into a legitimate football program. He managed to convince kids from Southern California and Arizona to come up to Boise to play football.
Yep!

Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I agree.

But are we talking coaching or recruiting? I don't recall Boise EVER attracting 4 and 5 star talent. IMO it was coaching, maybe he found a couple diamonds in the rough. He does more with less that is for sure.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
OSU D is very opportunistic. If the Ville and Wolfpack can do it- OSU can.
So does this mean the Wolfpack would also hold OSU scoreless?

These title games really need to be between the ACC (Miami, FSU, Clemson) and the SEC. There is a very clear and obvious talent gap between them and the rest.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:43 AM

447 posts, read 473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
The x-factor may be that our guys definitely feel like they have unfinished business to take care of after 2015...
Unfinished business resumes in Tampa just over a week from now!

Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,756 times
Well, as we saw yesterday, just because Alabama has the best defense in the nation don't mean they're unbeatable. And i've got a feeling Clemson is gonna show us just that on the 9th.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:57 AM

3,801 posts, read 6,532,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Well, as we saw yesterday, just because Alabama has the best defense in the nation don't mean they're unbeatable. And i've got a feeling Clemson is gonna show us just that on the 9th.
Alabama's offense could have scored more if it wasn't for the conservative play calling. Bama has 5 dunno snacks that could have done the same thing Bo did.The Clemson and Bama matchup will be a great one. If were going by the eye test then the 15 Clemson team was much better than the 16 team.Although that doesn't mean anything. Bama tends to play according to the velocity of it's opponents. Bama vs Clemson will be a great rematch.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Alabama's offense could have scored more if it wasn't for the conservative play calling. Bama has 5 dunno snacks that could have done the same thing Bo did.The Clemson and Bama matchup will be a great one. If were going by the eye test then the 15 Clemson team was much better than the 16 team.Although that doesn't mean anything. Bama tends to play according to the velocity of it's opponents. Bama vs Clemson will be a great rematch.
I wouldn't say the '15 team was better than the '16 team. It's mostly the same players after all.

If Alabama has a "weakness," it's their QB, who isn't exactly a "weakness" but he is obviously not as experienced as Deshaun Watson. Washington showed that you can hold the Crimson Tide offense in check by pressuring him.

Now Bama's defense...whoa. Those guys look like 6-year NFL veterans. They have one of the best defenses I've seen in college football bar none.

I think next Monday's game will be a lower scoring affair than last year's. I suspect there will be a lot of 3 and outs on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or