U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:47 AM

2,833 posts, read 1,773,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think it's crazy some teams, Michigan and Auburn for example, are only playing 4 road games this season. It should be a rule that teams have to play at least 5 roads games every season.

I think Ohio State beats Michigan this year. Who goes to the title game if Ohio State beats Michigan? Would it be Penn State?
If OSU and PSU win. Penn St. goes to the Big10 Championship.

If Michigan wins. Michigan goes.

If OSU and MSU win. OSU goes.

For Ohio St.
I think it comes down OSU executing and calling plays. If Barrett hits his open WRs and the OSU O coordinators use him less as a fullback. I think OSU is the better team and UM has to overcome some things to win.

For Michigan
They need to run the ball effectively- you can't beat OSU's D being one dimensional.
This may surprise folks but they need to LESS aggressive on D. They've sent the dogs all year- if they maintain that plan- they will get hurt Saturday. You can't send 5/6/7 man blitzes at Barrett- you need to beat him with your front 4 and spy him at the second level. And play zone- his reads are slower this year (Thank you Quarterback Coach Beck). UM from what I've seen plays man and blitzes. This is not a good matchup for them.

If I were Michigan I would play loose. Trick plays, fake punts, Wildcat w/Peppers (more often). I don't think they can beat OSU straight up.

MSU had their Super Bowl last week. They take OSU games to the next level. I think they have a huge letdown in Happy Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
It will be VERY interesting to see what happens if Penn State wins the Big Ten. Who does the committee go with?

Old 11-25-2016, 04:42 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
If OSU and PSU win. Penn St. goes to the Big10 Championship.
Quote:
It will be VERY interesting to see what happens if Penn State wins the Big Ten. Who does the committee go with?
I had totally forgotten that Penn State was the one that beat Ohio State this year.

That's going to make it very difficult on the selection committee if OSU and Penn State win, then Penn State loses to Wisconsin.

11-1 OSU vs 10-2 Michigan vs 11-2 Wisconsin vs 12-1 Washington and toss in a 12-1 Clemson for giggles.

Clemson in.. I can't see how you keep Washington or Wisconsin out.

This would have been even MORE difficult had Louisville not imploded and wound up losing to Houston and been 11-1

Old 11-26-2016, 05:25 PM

I can't see how Ohio State is ranked higher than #4 given they will not be conference champions.

1. Alabama
2. Washington
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State

It will be VERY interesting is either Clemson or Washington were to lose their conference title games.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:55 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Ohio State was ranked #2 this week.....no way they are lower #2 next week after beating #3, so let's clear that out of the way. The problem comes next week. #5 Washington won & beat a ranked team AND are playing a ranked team for a conference championship next week (either #9 or #12). Wisconsin was #6, won, playing a ranked team for a conference championship next week (#7). Penn State was #7, won, playing a ranked team for a conference championship next week (#6). #8 (Oklahoma) & #10 (Oklahoma State) are both off this week, and even though the Big 12 doesn't have an "official" championship game, those 2 are playing for the Big 12 championship next weekend. Colorado (#9) plays #22 Utah tonight; if they win they play #5 for the Pac-12 championship next weekend, if they lose they are out. I'd have to say the top 10 stays pretty much the same with some minor adjusting (Clemson & Washington each up 1 spot [assuming Clemson wins]), Michigan at 5, Wisconsin & Penn State holding steady at 6 & 7 maybe Colorado & Oklahoma swapping, but aside from Washington (in) & Michigan (out) the top 10 should look the same as it did next week.

Assuming Clemson wins tonight IF they win next weekend as well they are IN the playoffs. Even if Alabama loses to Florida they are IN the playoffs. No matter which team Washington plays on Friday night (USC or Colorado) IF they win Friday they are IN the playoffs. So now 2 questions as it relates to Ohio state:
1) Is a Penn State/Wisconsin Big 10 title enough to bump out Ohio State. If Penn state wins they have a legitimate case: They would be the Big 10 champions AND they beat Ohio State head-to-head, so if the committee really cares about head-to-head and winning the conference it'd be difficult to keep Ohio State in and Penn State out when Penn State has both & OSU has neither. But a jump from #7 to #4 is a pretty big jump, and remember Penn State got blown out in the head-to-head matchup @ Michigan while Michigan has 2 close road losses. Wisconsin lost to both Michigan & Ohio State, so I could see them being left out if it beat Penn State.
2) What will happen in the Bedlam game?? If 1 of the teams blows the other one out, will that be enough to supplant Ohio State?? I just can't see it happening. Even though they shouldn't have lost that game due to the officiating error, Ok State has a loss to a bad MAC team (Central Michigan) while Oklahoma has a 2+ touchdown home loss to Ohio State, so I don't think so.

I personally think Ohio State is pretty safe as I can't see them falling below #4 in any scenario, even the Penn State beating Wisconsin scenario. Though it will open up a can of worms for TCU & Baylor who got left out in the same situation Ohio State is currently in (11-1 but didn't win their conference).

Old 11-26-2016, 06:01 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,333 times
Ohio State will stay #2. They will bring more viewers and money, and people want to see Alabama-OSU rematch.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Washington and Clemson will both be 12-1 and conference champions assuming they both win the title games. I don't see how they would be ranked below Ohio State, who did not win their conference. The committee will/should take that fact into account. Winning your conference should be rewarded with a higher ranking. I definitely think Ohio State is in, but they should not be ranked ahead of 1 loss conference champs.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:59 PM

578 posts, read 330,582 times
like i predicated it be this

1.)alabama
2.)ohio state
3.)clemson
4.)washington(who will get blown out)

everyone want to see alabama vs ohio state or clemson rematch!

Old 11-26-2016, 07:09 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,333 times
Quote:
Washington and Clemson will both be 12-1 and conference champions assuming they both win the title games. I don't see how they would be ranked below Ohio State, who did not win their conference. The committee will/should take that fact into account. Winning your conference should be rewarded with a higher ranking. I definitely think Ohio State is in, but they should not be ranked ahead of 1 loss conference champs.
I don't know. Ohio State has a very impressive resume already. Wins over #3 Michigan, #8 Wisconsin, #10 Nebraska, #14 Oklahoma. Would an extra win over Wisconsin really tell us anything? More importantly, do we really want to see another OSU-Bama semifinals game and a joke of a championship the next week? Maybe you can make an argument for Bama-Clemson rematch, but I don't think that game would be close this year.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:30 PM

529 posts, read 279,916 times
Lets say the playoff was 8 like it should be.

You have conference champs from all Power5 conferences (assuming no upsets):

Bama
Clemson
Washington
OK/OKST winner
Wisc/PSU winner

Then Western Michigan (unbeaten Go5 team), Ohio State (Only remaining 1 loss Power 5 team)

That leaves one spot. Who gets it?

Contenders would be as follows:

Remaining 2 loss teams from Power 5 conferences:
Michigan
West Virginia

Then, personally, I would even consider 3 loss USC, as they lost 3 of their 1st 4, but since the QB change have won 8 in a row, including wins over both teams playing for the conference championship.

IMO since the B1G already has two representatives, Michigan is a no go.

That makes it a choice between West Virginia and USC.

I'd choose the team who is playing as good as anyone at this point in the season and put USC as the 8th seed setting up a 1st round game with Bama, which would be a rematch of the week one game where the Trojans took a beating with their initial QB.

What CFB fan wouldn't love to see that game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or