U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-27-2016, 03:56 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Reputation: 2779

Advertisements

This season shows that we need an 8 team playoff. That way all 5 conference champions from the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12 will get in plus 3 at-large bids.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Penn State/Wisconsin
5. Oklahoma
6. Ohio State
7. Michigan
8. Western Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2016, 04:36 PM
 
Location: sittin happy in the sun :-)
3,577 posts, read 5,831,613 times
Reputation: 1757
if they win out Bama Clemson and Washington must be in.


which leaves the Big 10. I cant see how Michigan can be considered unless Clemson AND Washington lose


my opinion
1. Wisconsin beat Penn st...Ohio state go as both they and Mi beat Wisconsin.
2. Penn st win...then its a toss up.....the head to head or the strength of schedule ??? that's down to someone else.


I don't see either Oklahoma team getting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
Reputation: 2482
As I've stated already on this board before if you want a "fair" playoff system (and that's really what us as fans want is a fair system):
-You make it an 8 team playoff (with a top 4 with 5 "Power" conferences, 1 conference is going to get screwed regardless. This has always been a failure since it's inception)
-The champions of the P5 conferences get 5 "automatic" spots. The other 3 spots are wildcards
-IF there is an unbeaten team from a non P5 conference than that team gets an AUTOMATIC spot in the playoffs. I don't care if you play St. Mary's school of the deaf 4 times, Kansas school of the blind 4 times, and Texas Agricultural school for farming 4 times, 12-0 is 12-0 no matter who you play, and you should be rewarded for it. Will Western Michigan really win a national title?? Probably not, but they should at least get an opportunity to play for 1. Nobody predicted Boise State to beat Oklahoma.....and they did it twice!
-IF there is more than 1 team from a non P5, the team with the higher SOS gets the automatic spot, and any others can go into the at large pool
-In order to be selected for an "at large" spot, aka 1 of the 3 remaining spots you must: play no fewer than 11 games, but no more than 13, have AT LEAST an 75 winning percentage, and play ONLY FBS teams. The FCS teams the SEZ teams play before rivalry week is a freaking joke! Tennessee-Chattanooga, Western Carolina, Northern Georgia?!?!?!? GFTO! I know you need these tuneup games since football doesn't have scrimmages, but you can easily do that do Sunbelt, CUSA & MAC teams. I'm sure Eastern Michigan would LOVE to get $100,000 to get pounded by Alabama, but they get to step foot on the same field as the Tide. The 75 winning percentage (and 11/13 games played) also includes any conference championship games, so if you are 8-2 and lose in your conference championship game, sorry you fall below the 75% threshold. And really 75% shouldn't be that much of a problem anyways. With that said, here would be 7express playoff teams (I'm using higher ranked teams to decide conference champions):
ACC: Clemson
Big 12: Oklahoma
Big 10: Wisconsin
Pac 12: Washington
SEC: Alabama
Wildcard #1: Western Michigan (currently 12-0) would be in the playoffs automatically since they are undefeated.
Now for eligible teams for selection based on my criteria above: 75 winning percentage, no more than 13 games/no fewer than 11, and no FCS teams on the schedule: Louisville, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin (if lost to Penn State), Old Dominion, Boise State, Stanford, USC & Appalachian State. What's interesting to note is how many FBS teams actually played FCS teams this year (get rid of those games!) and if Western Michigan loses to Ohio or the Washington/Colorado loser in the Pac 12 championship is eliminated from the playoffs since all 3 have an FCS team on their schedule. So, we have the 5 automatic qualifiers, 1 Wildcard and of the other at large spots, I'd pick Ohio State & Michigan as my final 2 participants (if Western Michigan loses swap out them for Wisconsin/Penn state loser), but really you can cherry pick the selections all you want. Sure, USC is playing the best, too bad games in September count as much as games in November do.
-Once you have the 8 participants in the playoffs THAN you rank them on a number of factors: head to head, strength of schedule, how conference was, etc. With my 8 teams selected here's where I would go:
#1 Alabama (nobody is beating them this year)
#2 Ohio State (wins over Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma with the only blemish to Penn State on a blocked field goal)
#3 Clemson (wins over Auburn, Louisville, Florida State, only loss on a field goal as time expired)
#4 Michigan (wins over Wisconsin, Penn State, Colorado, close loss @ Iowa, and double OT @ Ohio State)
#5 Wisconsin (wins over LSU, Nebraska, Michigan state [when all 3 were in top 8], loss by a TD @ Michigan [top 4], and in overtime to #2 Ohio State. Had they been able to beat Ohio State and or Michigan I'd have them top 4, maybe even top 3.
#6 Washington (Pac-12 not so great, but does have wins over Stanford [playing well], Utah, Colorado, only loss to USC who is one of hottest teams in country)
#7 Oklahoma (lost @ Houston which 1 week looks good and 1 week it doesn't, and than by multiple touchdowns at home vs. Ohio State, but won @ TCU when TCU was ranked and would have beaten two top 14 teams to end the season, but really the conference wasn't very good.
#8 Western Michigan (may not even beat Oklahoma, much less Alabama, but should be given the opportunity).
Penn State, Louisville, USC fans can argue about why they weren't selected, but really, I think 8 is the fairest way to crown a champion.....on the damn field! Penn State did beat Ohio State too bad you lost in the conference championship game! Louisville: Sorry you lost to Clemson....and Houston.....and Kentucky. Next year don't lose those games and you are in. USC: As mentioned earlier, sorry but games in September count the same as games in November do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
Reputation: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

I don't see either Oklahoma team getting in.

Washington & Wisconsin lose I'd take the Oklahoma winner before I took Washington OR a second Big 10 team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,549,845 times
Reputation: 4317
If Penn State and Colorado win their titles

Michigan would actually be above Ohio State in any playoff scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 06:07 PM
 
529 posts, read 280,643 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If Penn State and Colorado win their titles

Michigan would actually be above Ohio State in any playoff scenario.
How's that?

No matter who wins the PAC or the B1G Michigan is behind OSU every day of the week.

2 losses vs 1 loss and one of Michigan's two was head to head vs. OSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 06:11 PM
 
529 posts, read 280,643 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Spoiler
As I've stated already on this board before if you want a "fair" playoff system (and that's really what us as fans want is a fair system):
-You make it an 8 team playoff (with a top 4 with 5 "Power" conferences, 1 conference is going to get screwed regardless. This has always been a failure since it's inception)
-The champions of the P5 conferences get 5 "automatic" spots. The other 3 spots are wildcards
-IF there is an unbeaten team from a non P5 conference than that team gets an AUTOMATIC spot in the playoffs. I don't care if you play St. Mary's school of the deaf 4 times, Kansas school of the blind 4 times, and Texas Agricultural school for farming 4 times, 12-0 is 12-0 no matter who you play, and you should be rewarded for it. Will Western Michigan really win a national title?? Probably not, but they should at least get an opportunity to play for 1. Nobody predicted Boise State to beat Oklahoma.....and they did it twice!
-IF there is more than 1 team from a non P5, the team with the higher SOS gets the automatic spot, and any others can go into the at large pool
-In order to be selected for an "at large" spot, aka 1 of the 3 remaining spots you must: play no fewer than 11 games, but no more than 13, have AT LEAST an 75 winning percentage, and play ONLY FBS teams. The FCS teams the SEZ teams play before rivalry week is a freaking joke! Tennessee-Chattanooga, Western Carolina, Northern Georgia?!?!?!? GFTO! I know you need these tuneup games since football doesn't have scrimmages, but you can easily do that do Sunbelt, CUSA & MAC teams. I'm sure Eastern Michigan would LOVE to get $100,000 to get pounded by Alabama, but they get to step foot on the same field as the Tide. The 75 winning percentage (and 11/13 games played) also includes any conference championship games, so if you are 8-2 and lose in your conference championship game, sorry you fall below the 75% threshold. And really 75% shouldn't be that much of a problem anyways. With that said, here would be 7express playoff teams (I'm using higher ranked teams to decide conference champions):
ACC: Clemson
Big 12: Oklahoma
Big 10: Wisconsin
Pac 12: Washington
SEC: Alabama
Wildcard #1: Western Michigan (currently 12-0) would be in the playoffs automatically since they are undefeated.
Now for eligible teams for selection based on my criteria above: 75 winning percentage, no more than 13 games/no fewer than 11, and no FCS teams on the schedule: Louisville, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin (if lost to Penn State), Old Dominion, Boise State, Stanford, USC & Appalachian State. What's interesting to note is how many FBS teams actually played FCS teams this year (get rid of those games!) and if Western Michigan loses to Ohio or the Washington/Colorado loser in the Pac 12 championship is eliminated from the playoffs since all 3 have an FCS team on their schedule. So, we have the 5 automatic qualifiers, 1 Wildcard and of the other at large spots, I'd pick Ohio State & Michigan as my final 2 participants (if Western Michigan loses swap out them for Wisconsin/Penn state loser), but really you can cherry pick the selections all you want. Sure, USC is playing the best, too bad games in September count as much as games in November do.
-Once you have the 8 participants in the playoffs THAN you rank them on a number of factors: head to head, strength of schedule, how conference was, etc. With my 8 teams selected here's where I would go:
#1 Alabama (nobody is beating them this year)
#2 Ohio State (wins over Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma with the only blemish to Penn State on a blocked field goal)
#3 Clemson (wins over Auburn, Louisville, Florida State, only loss on a field goal as time expired)
#4 Michigan (wins over Wisconsin, Penn State, Colorado, close loss @ Iowa, and double OT @ Ohio State)
#5 Wisconsin (wins over LSU, Nebraska, Michigan state [when all 3 were in top 8], loss by a TD @ Michigan [top 4], and in overtime to #2 Ohio State. Had they been able to beat Ohio State and or Michigan I'd have them top 4, maybe even top 3.
#6 Washington (Pac-12 not so great, but does have wins over Stanford [playing well], Utah, Colorado, only loss to USC who is one of hottest teams in country)
#7 Oklahoma (lost @ Houston which 1 week looks good and 1 week it doesn't, and than by multiple touchdowns at home vs. Ohio State, but won @ TCU when TCU was ranked and would have beaten two top 14 teams to end the season, but really the conference wasn't very good.
#8 Western Michigan (may not even beat Oklahoma, much less Alabama, but should be given the opportunity).
Penn State, Louisville, USC fans can argue about why they weren't selected, but really, I think 8 is the fairest way to crown a champion.....on the damn field! Penn State did beat Ohio State too bad you lost in the conference championship game! Louisville: Sorry you lost to Clemson....and Houston.....and Kentucky. Next year don't lose those games and you are in. USC: As mentioned earlier, sorry but games in September count the same as games in November do
.
I just feel that USC is a different team with Darnold at the helm. That matters to me, but I can certainly understand the argument against.
I also don't think you can have 3 teams out of 8 from the same conference.

Lets say for the sake of argument that was an actual rule (As I think it would be).

So if Michigan was out because obviously Ohio St. gets the nod, then who is your 8th team under that scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,549,845 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
How's that?

No matter who wins the PAC or the B1G Michigan is behind OSU every day of the week.

2 losses vs 1 loss and one of Michigan's two was head to head vs. OSU.
The College football selection Committee has stated that a team that is unequivocally better than 2 Power 5 champions( Colorado and Penn State) would have consideration of being placed into the playoff above all other non champions.

That means Michigan comes before Ohio State. if that happens.


What is more interesting is if] Wisconsin wins and so does Oklahoma and Colorado.

Both Michigan and Ohio State would have then beaten the Big 10 Champ, and another conference's champion.

There could be the possibility of the 4 teams then being Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
Reputation: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
I just feel that USC is a different team with Darnold at the helm. That matters to me, but I can certainly understand the argument against.
I also don't think you can have 3 teams out of 8 from the same conference.

Lets say for the sake of argument that was an actual rule (As I think it would be).

So if Michigan was out because obviously Ohio St. gets the nod, then who is your 8th team under that scenario?


If you only want to limit 2 to a conference which is totally understandable I'd take the Big 10 championship game winner and Ohio state. My 8th team would probably be USC in that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 09:27 AM
 
4,315 posts, read 2,529,064 times
Reputation: 7686
shouldn't all these posts about .......this year's teams...regarding a FANTASY 8 team playoff belong in a separate thread entitled..............FANTASY FOOTBALL COLLEGE PLAYOFFS .. ?

We have one post describing scenarios about a REAL 4 team playoff and the next poster talking about his FANTASY 8 team playoff.

Why not separate the threads into REALITY and FANTASY playoff threads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top