Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times

Advertisements

Because it is part of the discussion.

There are actually 4 different threads currently discussing the playoffs.
Maybe one of the others would be better suited for you since this one has taken such an evil turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:28 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
My top 4, as of 11/20/2016

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma (yeah, I said it!)
4. USC (yeah, I really said it!)

Next....
5. Washington
6. Ohio State
7. Michigan
Tie 8. Wisconsin, Penn State, Oklahoma State, Colorado
Yeah, I know. I'm flippin'.......

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

Next......
5. Penn State (a convincing smackdown of WI will bump the Buckeyes out of the top 4)(though won head to head v. Ohio State, real soft schedule keeps Nittanys out.....for now!)
6. Oklahoma (yeah, hard to just drop 3 spots, but them others who moved up looked doggone good!)
7. USC (see explanation of 6)
8. Wisconsin, Colorado, Michigan

Old 11-28-2016, 11:11 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Because it is part of the discussion.

There are actually 4 different threads currently discussing the playoffs.
Maybe one of the others would be better suited for you since this one has taken such an evil turn.
The title of this thread is............2016 Playoff.........

There are no 8 teams in the 2016 playoff.

( by the way........the other 2 threads I have found regarding playoffs have the word....4 TEAMS ...in the title of the thread )

Nothing wrong with you starting your own FANTASY playoff thread where you can put as many teams in as you want )

Last edited by David A Stone; 11-28-2016 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 02:40 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Heading into the last week of the regular season, I have the teams like this:

#1 Alabama
#2 Ohio State
#3 Clemson
#4 Washington

However, if I were making the call I would rank them as such

#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Washington
#4 Penn State/Wisconsin
#5 Oklahoma/Oklahoma State
#6 Ohio State
#7 Penn State/Wisconsin
#8 Colorado
#9 Oklahoma State/Oklahoma
#10 Western Michigan

Here's how some of the bowl games will shake out

New Year's Six Bowl Games

Rose Bowl: Colorado vs. Penn State
Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Florida
Orange Bowl: Michigan vs. Florida State
Cotton Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Western Michigan

Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Heading into the last week of the regular season, I have the teams like this:

#1 Alabama
#2 Ohio State
#3 Clemson
#4 Washington

However, if I were making the call I would rank them as such

#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Washington
#4 Penn State/Wisconsin
#5 Oklahoma/Oklahoma State
#6 Ohio State
#7 Penn State/Wisconsin
#8 Colorado
#9 Oklahoma State/Oklahoma
#10 Western Michigan

Here's how some of the bowl games will shake out

New Year's Six Bowl Games

Rose Bowl: Colorado vs. Penn State
Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Florida
Orange Bowl: Michigan vs. Florida State
Cotton Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Western Michigan
You honestly think WA is better than PENN or Ohio State? Their first three games were teams, that we in the PAC-12, all ranked those teams so weak. Wow, how the WA love got spread around without more facts known is fascinating, I guess, at best.

MSR

Roll Tide

Old 11-29-2016, 01:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default The case for Michigan

It's much stronger if Colorado were to win the PAC-12 championship game.

Forde's Fab Four: Making a case for Michigan to still make the College Football Playoff

Old 11-29-2016, 11:02 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
You honestly think WA is better than PENN or Ohio State? Their first three games were teams, that we in the PAC-12, all ranked those teams so weak. Wow, how the WA love got spread around without more facts known is fascinating, I guess, at best.

MSR

Roll Tide
Washington would be a conference champion, something Ohio State is not. The committee should reward those teams that actually win their conference.

Are you trying to say Washington is a garbage team? I don't think they're the best team in the country, but if they win the Pac-12 they clearly belong in the playoffs and should not be ranked lower than #3.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Washington would be a conference champion, something Ohio State is not. The committee should reward those teams that actually win their conference.
Ignorance.

By this logic, an American Athletic Conference or even MAC champion should get the nod over an Ohio State which played a bruising schedule and defeated the likes of Michigan, Wisconsin (road win), and Oklahoma (road win), all FBS top-ten teams, an even better resume than Alabama. Ohio State's only loss was to a top ten team in lousy weather on the road by three points.

Michigan, by all fairness, deserves the nod over Washington, and certainly over Colorado if it defeats Washington. Washington's strength of schedule is pathetic by comparison with Ohio State and Michigan.

How Michigan's resume compares to other College Football Playoff hopefuls | MLive.com

Alabama hasn't defeated a single team in the FBS top ten ranked teams.

FBS College Football Rankings | NCAA.com

Who wants to see championship games featuring only league champions with poor strength of schedules?

At least Alabama passes the eye test, something that can't be said of Washington either. The FBS committee certainly will note that USC lost to Alabama, 52-6, but defeated Washington at Husky Stadium, 26-13. Most football fans want to see if Ohio State can upend Alabama once again, rather than watch Alabama make a doormat out of another PAC 12 team in 2016. Ditto, Michigan versus Alabama. Alabama might defeat both Ohio State (one of the youngest FBS teams in the country) and Michigan easily, but it's not a likely certainty as it is with Washington.

Ohio State and Clemson fans likely would prefer that Alabama match up with Washington in the first round rather than Michigan. The ensuing rout might leave Alabama somewhat unprepared for a tougher opponent in the championship game.

If Washington wants to play in the FBS play-offs ever, it needs to schedule some strong non-PAC 12 opponents and/or go undefeated, overall and in the PAC 12. USC and even Colorado deserve credit for their scheduling, but Washington does not. Rutgers was Washington's Big Ten opponent, and the Huskies gave up 13 points at home to the hapless Scarlet Knights. Ohio State played its back-ups for most of the second half against Rutgers. Did Washington?

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2...l-schedule.php

Last edited by WRnative; 11-29-2016 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Ala

Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
obviously they need to expand to 8 teams. if your not going to VALUE power 5 conference champions then don't tell us you do. I think OSU deserves to be in the top 4 and i don't think Michigan is any worse than OSU.. But what's the point of having a BIG10 Championship game??? Hell, Alabama could lose to FLorida and that don't even matter so the SEC Championship game is nothing more than a spring scrimmage.. because regardless of the outcome, Alabama is in and Florida is out.. DUMB!

They have totally devalued the Conference Championship games which is just DUMB IMO. I would prefer a system that includes all Power 5 Conference Champions above any one else.. then they can have some at large bids to include obvious teams like Ohio State and even Michigan..

Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
obviously they need to expand to 8 teams. if your not going to VALUE power 5 conference champions then don't tell us you do. I think OSU deserves to be in the top 4 and i don't think Michigan is any worse than OSU.. But what's the point of having a BIG10 Championship game??? Hell, Alabama could lose to FLorida and that don't even matter so the SEC Championship game is nothing more than a spring scrimmage.. because regardless of the outcome, Alabama is in and Florida is out.. DUMB!

They have totally devalued the Conference Championship games which is just DUMB IMO. I would prefer a system that includes all Power 5 Conference Champions above any one else.. then they can have some at large bids to include obvious teams like Ohio State and even Michigan..
I don't disagree that an expansion to six teams (with two byes) or eight teams would be great fun, but the argument is that student athletes need some time to refocus on their academics. Some university athletes are very serious students, and some are very challenged academically and need time to survive their course loads.

Most football fans likely would want the best six or eight teams in the expanded play-offs, providing for some additional enticing inter-league match-ups. Note if each Power 5 champion was selected in a six-game format, there would be room for only one non-champion and likely no teams, such as Houston, from non-Power 5 conferences. A play-off expansion also might torpedo non-playoff bowl revenue, a worry for the NCAA.

An expansion of the play-offs likely will occur when the NCAA needs more money. This may be sooner rather than later, as leagues without their own cable networks such as the ACC and the Big 12 already are falling rapidly behind in the competitive mix, and cord cutting may threaten the windfalls from the existing broadcast rights contracts and from the league networks.

What Happens To Conference Networks If Cord Cutting Accelerates? | Outkick The Coverage

The Big Ten may have gained a competitive advantage by renegotiating its rights this year, assuming the rights are adjusted for inflation in subsequent years.

Forbes Welcome

The ACC plans to launch a cable network in 2019, but there is much doubt that the launch will be successful.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...C-Network.aspx

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...e91514812.html

Last edited by WRnative; 11-29-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football