Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:11 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

I knew Rutgers was a bottom tier football team when they joined the Big Ten, but I didn't think they were this bad. The fact that they lost 136-0 combined in the last 2 weeks to the 2 juggernauts of the conference (Michigan and Ohio State) just shows how big of a talent gap they have.

I know they were brought in to generate money from the NYC market and the northeast, but I have friends and family in the NYC area, and Rutgers isn't even on people's radar. They don't have a winning football or basketball tradition to bring in that market for the Big Ten.

They just seem like such a geographical and fit oddity for the Big Ten. At least Maryland contributes to basketball, and while their football isn't great, they don't really standout from the other middle to bottom teams. Rutgers has been painfully bad in both football and basketball. I still don't understand them in the conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 12:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,286 times
They're another team i would have in the American if i had my way, along with BC.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
The reasons have nothing to do with football.

They're there because they make the B1G's TV contract much more valuable. They cause the Big Ten Network to be carried on basic cable in their home territory, which is the New York City TV market (Ranked #1 in size by Nielsen) and their presence leads to B1G games being televised by ABC and ESPN there. Those facts, in themselves, are worth many millions of dollars a year to the conference.

New Jersey is also fertile recruiting territory for the B1G. Take a look at how many players from that state are on B1G rosters, both in football and basketball. Having a conference school in the state produces media exposure for conference schools. That gives coaches from conference schools a leg up in recruiting the state's top athletes.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:48 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Yeah, they don't add much other than TV revenue. But that's what is important to conferences in this day and age. I would have preferred if they had picked up Mizzou, but too late. STL and KC are two mid sized metros in the middle of the conference geographicly, but obviously aren't as big of a market as NYC, even if very few NYers are Rutgers fans.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Yeah, they don't add much other than TV revenue. But that's what is important to conferences in this day and age. I would have preferred if they had picked up Mizzou, but too late. STL and KC are two mid sized metros in the middle of the conference geographicly, but obviously aren't as big of a market as NYC, even if very few NYers are Rutgers fans.
I agree, Missouri would have been a natural fit for one of the expansion schools. In a dream scenario, if they could have found a way to get Notre Dame to join, that would have obviously been a home run, although they had been trying for decades to get ND to join and they couldn't work it out contractually (due to all of their rich independent football contracts).

Realistically, as for the second expansion school in addition to Mizzou, I would have preferred Pitt. They would have fit nicely into the B1G in terms of geography and football cultural. I even think Syracuse would have been a decent backup option if Mizzou/Pitt didn't work out, but that's all hypothetical since TV markets/revenue drive these decisions.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:28 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The reasons have nothing to do with football.

They're there because they make the B1G's TV contract much more valuable. They cause the Big Ten Network to be carried on basic cable in their home territory, which is the New York City TV market (Ranked #1 in size by Nielsen) and their presence leads to B1G games being televised by ABC and ESPN there. Those facts, in themselves, are worth many millions of dollars a year to the conference.

New Jersey is also fertile recruiting territory for the B1G. Take a look at how many players from that state are on B1G rosters, both in football and basketball. Having a conference school in the state produces media exposure for conference schools. That gives coaches from conference schools a leg up in recruiting the state's top athletes.
Bingo.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:54 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
I would have liked to see Missouri and Iowa State in the Big Ten.

Rivalries and both of those two have basketball programs that could compete.

But, as others have stated, it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 10-11-2016, 11:40 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I would have liked to see Missouri and Iowa State in the Big Ten.

Rivalries and both of those two have basketball programs that could compete.

But, as others have stated, it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$
Those would have been good. I think Pitt would have also been reasonable. Unfortunately only Mizzou expands the TV footprint. Pitt and Iowa State would not increase conference revenue, so they would never get in, even though culturally they fit in and they already they have good rivalries in the conference. Good thing Mich State got added to the conference in the 1950's, they wouldn't bring new TV territory so they'd have a tough time getting in now. I actually don't mind Maryland as much as Rutgers. At least Maryland has decent basketball and a average football team. Maryland adds the Baltimore and DC markets. Both Rutgers and Maryland have comparable academic rankings. Rutgers may have invented football, but they are far behind the rest of the country now.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Rutgers and Maryland were definitely added solely for financial reasons. They both look so lost out there in Big Ten football. I feel embarrassed for them getting smashed the way they have been. MD showed a little promise initially destroying Purdue and beating a down MSU, but losing by nearly 60 in back to back weeks??? Even if it is to Michigan and OSU, that is BAD!

And with Rutgers, there's just nothing to say: losing to a down MSU 49-0, getting blown out by OSU 58-0, and getting historically beatdown by Michigan 78-0....no words.

Last edited by personone; 11-13-2016 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 10:57 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
They are in the Big 10 fir 2 reasons,,,,, #1. Money and #2 They think they belong in the Big 10. They don't ...the Big 10 only let them in so that they could expand their market to the east coast/mid Atlantic . Rutgers deserves everything that is coming to them. Bully coaches in both men's and women's basketball, football players that belong in jail...and all on the taxpayer dime while the gas tax is raised and highest property taxes in the state with decrepit roads and bridges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football