U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,874,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Gotta say the Kick Six game.

I don't think there's ever been an instance of a more high-stakes game turning on such an improbable outcome. Cal-Stan? Very cool ending, but both teams were really down that year. Doug Flutie's Hail Mary? Fantastic, but a lot of games have been won on those. The Michigan/Ohio State goal line stand? Again, great ending. Not taking a thing away from Ohio State.

But a walk-off field goal return for a touchdown during a #1 vs. #4 matchup? I think that play has happened maybe four times in the entirety of NCAA history, and none of those came during an epic David-vs-Goliath seesaw struggle with all the marbles on the line.

Kick Six without a doubt.
Hands down the best ending I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 AM

447 posts, read 473,416 times
As a Clemson alumnus and fan, a few that I attended and still stand out in my mind are:

- The 1988 CU-FSU "Puntrooskie" game at Death Valley: One of the best trick plays ever but heartbreaking for us Tigers fans.

- The 1977 CU-Notre Dame game at Death Valley: My first fall at Clemson and I didn't think our little ACC team stood a chance against the bruisers from South Bend. As it turned out, we dragged them around the field pretty good and were leading after 3-1/2 quarters, but then this guy named Joe Montana led the Irish back to win the game late, a scene often repeated that year as Notre Dame went on to win the national championship. Montana and Dwight Clark, opponents on that day, would later be teammates on the 49ers and combine for one of the most memorable NFL plays in the 1981 NFC Championship Game ("The Catch").

- The CU-Bama CFP Championship game in Tampa this past January: Being at this game and watching Hunter Renfrow haul in Deshaun Watson's pass for the win right in front of me in the end zone was special!

Old 07-27-2017, 03:00 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,921,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
...The CU-Bama CFP Championship game in Tampa this past January...
Easily, the most memorable game for me.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:53 PM

3,577 posts, read 5,834,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post

- The CU-Bama CFP Championship game in Tampa this past January: Being at this game and watching Hunter Renfrow haul in Deshaun Watson's pass for the win right in front of me in the end zone was special!

me and a buddy were there and in the same section as you, a truly great game

Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,159,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Gotta say the Kick Six game.

I don't think there's ever been an instance of a more high-stakes game turning on such an improbable outcome. Cal-Stan? Very cool ending, but both teams were really down that year. Doug Flutie's Hail Mary? Fantastic, but a lot of games have been won on those. The Michigan/Ohio State goal line stand? Again, great ending. Not taking a thing away from Ohio State.

But a walk-off field goal return for a touchdown during a #1 vs. #4 matchup? I think that play has happened maybe four times in the entirety of NCAA history, and none of those came during an epic David-vs-Goliath seesaw struggle with all the marbles on the line.

Kick Six without a doubt.
What's funny about that game is I was saying BEFORE Alabama attempted that ridiculously long field goal that it was a mistake for them to try it because there was a chance of the missed goal being returned for a touchdown. I'm serious - I actually thought that could happen before it happened. My reasoning was the kick was well beyond the range of the Alabama kicker, so it probably wouldn't get out of the endzone. Then, you have players for the kicking team who aren't accustomed to playing kick coverage, and the kicking team can't easily set up to defend for a return.

If I were Nick Saban in that spot, I would have either tried a Hail Mary pass or I would kneeled down and gone to overtime. I definitely wouldn't have tried a field goal well beyond the range of an inexperienced kicker.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,159,267 times
The most memorable game I attended in person was probably a 2011 Division I-AA/FCS Round of 16 playoff game between Lehigh and Towson played at Johnny Unitas Stadium at Towson. It was a crazy game dominated by offense until late in the game; I think neither team ever led by more than 7 points. Then with about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Lehigh pinned Towson deep in its own territory and forced a safety, which proved to be the winning points in a 40-38 Lehigh win.

One other game I attended that was very memorable to me was the Notre Dame/Temple game in Philadelphia in 2015. Hell froze over and Temple actually played a prime-time, nationally-televised game on an over-the-air network (ABC); the Owls were undefeated while the Irish were 6-1. It was a close, hard fought game, and Notre Dame pulled it out and avoided the upset by scoring a touchdown in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter to win 24-20.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:41 PM

7,238 posts, read 8,245,233 times
That Kick Six game was awesome. I was not there but I loved every second of that ending. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if it was in Tuscaloosa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As a NC State fan, there are lots of memorable games that include last second wins at UNC on a season long field goal, the complete domination of Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl, etc. That said, I think that the 1986 match-up with South Carolina is my most memorable. Seemingly out of reach, the Wolfpack won the game after a defensive lineman for USC went offsides on the final offensive play for NC State as the clock ran out. Since a game cannot end on a defensive penalty, the Wolfpack was given one last play from scrimmage with 0 on the clock. The play resulted in a TD as the desperation Hail Mary pass is completed to Danny Peebles in the end zone. NC State and South Carolina had a long standing rivalry that was pretty much a knotted affair in the W/L column over time. Unfortunately that rivalry "ended" when USC joined the SEC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPxTMRBAf88
Were you there in 1998 when they beat Florida State? I was about 10 then and remember there were so many people walking up and down Hillsborough Street in celebration.

I didn't quite understand at that time why this was such a big deal. It wasn't until the next year when FSU won the championship that I finally understood the significance here, FSU curb-stomped everyone in the ACC in the 90's minus that one game at Virginia until that point, actually continued to do so until State beat them in Tallahassee a few years later. FSU's first loss at home since joining the ACC IIRC.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:11 PM

76 posts, read 53,922 times
As a Hog fan, the 2007 win in Death Valley against LSU was sweet 3OT and DMAC went off that day

Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 AM

5,969 posts, read 5,319,572 times
2007 Fiesta Bowl.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:54 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,264,795 times
Let's bring this thread up to date. Fantastic posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or