U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If ND were forced to join a conference in full membership, which would it choose?
ACC 8 28.57%
Big Ten 18 64.29%
Pac Ten 1 3.57%
SEC 0 0%
Big 12 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,786,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I can't imagine a better fit for Notre Dame than the Big Ten. As always, ND is smack dab in the heart of Big Ten country, a stone's throw away from the heart of the Big Ten Conference, Chicago. Rivalries? No conference has so many with the Irish than the Big Ten....the on-going, constant instate battle with nearby Purdue, the long series with MSU, going deeply back into the time the two were the leading midwestern independents, the true classic that is Notre Dame vs. Michigan. The incredibly long series with nearby Northwestern with its Chicago tie-in. Plenty of games against Iowa. frequent enough games vs. Wisconsin and Illinois, and although far rarer than Michigan, those great Notre Dame-Ohio State matchups. Throw in some matchups with in-state IU (infrequent, I realize) and it seems that ND has had a pretty good connection with all of the old ten Big Ten schools, short perhaps of Minnesota.

ND is with the ACC only because of the special deal that that conference worked out with the Irish, giving them full membership in all sports but football, but assuring a nice slate of ACC opponents on the gridiron (even though ND is not part of the conference standings).

And the ACC gives ND a hook in the northeast market, a place it highly values with Pitt giving it Pittsburgh, Syracuse giving it a connection with the NYC market. And, course, BC bringing in Boston. Yet The Big Ten gives more bang-for-the-buck than the ACC in the northeast. Of the major markets, only Boston isn't included in the conference, but look at the rest; Penn State delivers Philadelphia, Rutgers does the same for NYC and Both DC and Baltimore are brought in by UMD.

From a rivalry perspective, there is little to choose for in the ACC for the Irish....there is the battle of Catholics, ND vs. BC, and there are long standing series with GT, Pitt, and Miami. But these simply do not compare with the Big Ten rivalries.

Indeed, after the Big Ten, the Irish have their best rivalries with the Pac 12 with USC and Stanford, giving them an annual game in the Golden State, alternatingly between LA and the Bay Area, working well with ND's recruiting pipeline with the state of California. But the Pac 12 is a fit far fro the Irish who are still miles removed from the closest outpost in Boulder.

If full membership were required, the Big Ten, by far, would be the best bet.
I don't disagree that for ND the Big Ten is more attractive, as a fan the Big Ten is what I'd want, for the exact reasons you listed. But I still go back to what the Big Ten wants, would they want Notre Dame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 03:16 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,557,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I don't disagree that for ND the Big Ten is more attractive, as a fan the Big Ten is what I'd want, for the exact reasons you listed. But I still go back to what the Big Ten wants, would they want Notre Dame.

good question. they go back and forth, don't they.....Notre Dame wants the Big Ten, the Big Ten says no. The Big Ten wants Notre Dame, Notre Dame says no.

My guess...they'd take them. Full membership would do the trick (the Big Ten never would have given the Irish the sweetheart deal that the ACC did; the Big Ten would accept nothing short of full equity for all members.

So given the reputation of the program and given the high academics (academics being important to the Big Ten and both the Big Ten and ND would benefit from the university being in the CIC), my guess is that if the Big Ten went to 16, they'd take the Irish.

Stop and think about it. Can you think of any school that would be a good fit for the Big Ten short of Notre Dame (and I am suggesting that some sort of footprint has to be followed).

Who would they take? Iowa State? Nothing there that Iowa doesn't already give the conference. KU? Great basketball, but horrible football and it adds nothing in the way of market. Mizzou? Not leaving the SEC. UVA....great academic fit, but so so football and nothing added market-wise (UMD takes in the DC market). Pitt? Same as Iowa-ISU....Pitt adds nothing with Penn State already in the loop. Syracuse? Rutgers brings in NYC market; what could Syracuse offer. OU? Wouldn't leave Texas and OK State.

I"m coming up blanks....the Irish would be, by far, the best fit for an expanded Big Ten.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 PM

447 posts, read 473,416 times
There's not even a question to answer here - the ACC grant of rights agreement, modified just last summer, ties up Notre Dame until 2036. If they join a conference for football, it has to be the ACC or they leave a ton of money on the table. Of course they could sue the conference to get out of it, but Maryland already found out that comes at a price...

Old 12-17-2016, 05:57 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times
Notre Dame to the Big XII would probably save the conference for sure.

But many of us here in the South-Central seriously doubt if this conference is worth saving though. The leadership of the Big XII has been so bad that 4 big state schools left and we added small-time programs when we could have done much much better if the Big XII Brass had been more proactive.

At this point it appears to be a foregone conclusion that the Big XII is on borrowed time.

Let's get those Notre Dame to the Big XII rumors stoked though!

Old 12-19-2016, 09:38 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,264,795 times
I voted Big Ten. Though it may not happen that Notre Dame could join the Big Ten. I think they are just going to stay independent in football and stay in the ACC in other sports.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:20 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Based on how they played this year, I think they'd be a good fit in Conference USA.

Honestly, I'm trying to understand why people think Notre Dame still belong in the elite of college football.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:51 PM

17 posts, read 24,805 times
Realistically the ACC, but the Big 10 would be nice. Could they replace Rutgers

Old 01-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 4 days ago)

1,241 posts, read 585,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_H_I_O View Post
Realistically the ACC, but the Big 10 would be nice. Could they replace Rutgers
My pipedream is for the ACC to have ND become a full member and then the ACC trade ND to the Big 10 for UMD.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 PM

23,348 posts, read 11,562,324 times
US News and world College ranks

#8 Duke
#12 Northwestern
#13 Notre Dame
#24 Virginia
#27 Wake Forest #27 Michigan
#30 UNC
#31 Boston College
#34 Georgia Tech
#44 Miami #44 Illinois, #44 Wisconsin
#50 Penn State
#54 OSU
#60 Purdue
#60 Cuse #60 Maryland

#66 Clemson
#68 Pitt
#70 Rutgers
#71 Minnesota
#74 Va Tech
#82 Michigan State, Iowa
#86 Indiana
#92 FSU, NC State

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,889,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Stop and think about it. Can you think of any school that would be a good fit for the Big Ten short of Notre Dame (and I am suggesting that some sort of footprint has to be followed).
Pittsburgh is a good research school and would lock in the Pittsburgh market (Penn State, I believe is bigger in eastern PA, including Philadelphia).

However, my memory is that the Big Ten most covets the southeast -- Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and Duke have been mentioned. New television markets.

After the Big Ten grabbed Maryland, the ACC has raised break-up fees to perhaps prohibitive levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or