Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 AM

459 posts, read 475,016 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice Alabama playing Washington in Atlanta about one hour from the Alabama State Line and Alabama has played at the Georgia dome many times. Second, University of Tennessee playing Nebraska in Nashville, Tennessee. Third, University of Florida playing Iowa in Tampa. Fourth, University of Miami playing in Orlando against West Virginia. Fifth, University of southern California playing Penn state in southern California. As a fan I would like to see more of these bowl games spread out across the entire country instead of having a majority of these bowl games in the south. I'm sure it all has to do with money and getting the games as close to one of the fan bases as possible perhaps; however, that's obviously not neutral at all with a lot of these bowl games anymore. Then next year the College national championship game being in Atlanta. HMMM I wonder if that favors Alabama again at all as usual? I have never seen any of the NCAA College National Championship Games being played in Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Detroit, San Francisco, or even Seattle. Some place outside of the south for once.

Last edited by ipkl07; 01-03-2017 at 02:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 06:50 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
ipk.. hi.
I get your point, about a generally unfair regional advantage for Southern teams.. but the mild winter weather has a lot to do with playing bowl games in the South. It's not much of an enjoyable reward for a team to have to go play an outdoor game in December or January Midwest/Northeast.

As far as the Rose Bowl.. would be hard to move all the traditions of Pasadena (Rose Bowl stadium, Rose parade, etc), to somewhere else. It's the 'Grandaddy of 'em all', don't think it needs fixing, even if it occasionally favors UCLA & USC.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Very few teams set their sights on Detroit's Motor City Bowl in August.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
The weather.

Atlanta is building a Taj Mahal of a stadium. So yeah the CFP wants to play there.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice Alabama playing Washington in Atlanta about one hour from the Alabama State Line and Alabama has played at the Georgia dome many times. Second, University of Tennessee playing Nebraska in Nashville, Tennessee. Third, University of Florida playing Iowa in Tampa. Fourth, University of Miami playing in Orlando against West Virginia. Fifth, University of southern California playing Penn state in southern California. As a fan I would like to see more of these bowl games spread out across the entire country instead of having a majority of these bowl games in the south. I'm sure it all has to do with money and getting the games as close to one of the fan bases as possible perhaps; however, that's obviously not neutral at all with a lot of these bowl games anymore. Then next year the College national championship game being in Atlanta. HMMM I wonder if that favors Alabama again at all as usual? I have never seen any of the NCAA College National Championship Games being played in Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Detroit, San Francisco, or even Seattle. Some place outside of the south for once.
The National Title Game will be played in Levis Stadium in 2019.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:43 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
This again?

This is just like asking why Omaha, Nebraska doesn't have an NFL team... NOT every city can host or is on the radar of hosing for several different reasons.

As someone already mentioned, Santa Clara is getting the game 2 years from now, but sorry, weather does play a part in it. That's why 3 of those cities you mentioned have roofs... not just for hosting major football championships, but other events as well.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:41 PM

455 posts, read 651,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The National Title Game will be played in Levis Stadium in 2019.
And it was in Phoenix just last year, which didn't favor either team...

Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM

459 posts, read 475,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This again?

This is just like asking why Omaha, Nebraska doesn't have an NFL team... NOT every city can host or is on the radar of hosing for several different reasons.

As someone already mentioned, Santa Clara is getting the game 2 years from now, but sorry, weather does play a part in it. That's why 3 of those cities you mentioned have roofs... not just for hosting major football championships, but other events as well.
(mod cut-one sentence deleted)

Glad to hear it's in Santa Clara, so in 2019 it'll be fair. lol

Minneapolis has opened it's building before Atlanta why not in Minneapolis this year instead of Tampa and then Atlanta next year after they open their new stadium? Oh, I forgot the NCAA is spineless, we can't have it in a cold weather city. Not everybody enjoys playing in 85 degree's, some like playing in the snow and ice. I enjoyed playing in all conditions. That's what football is all about, playing in all conditions, not just sunny and 85 degree's with a light breeze. Yes, I know the new Vikings stadium is indoors my point is they can and should have it in cold weather cities that play outdoors as well periodically. Every year they should switch regions for the national championship game and hit all regions!

I would NOT touch the Rose Bowl they have a great bowl game with great traditions and they do a great job. I would move some of these other bowl games to more neutral locations as I said, but I wouldn't touch the best bowl game there is which is the Rose Bowl.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-04-2017 at 06:32 AM..

Old 01-03-2017, 06:09 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
It also has to do with weather. People in the cold and snowy north want to get away for a couple days and enjoy a football game in Tampa, Phoenix, Los Angeles, etc.

Just be good enough to get the #1 seed and you have a choice of 2 locations, at least for the first playoff game.

I think the championship will be fair. Tampa is pretty close to both teams. The Phoenix location for OSU-Clemson was probably unfair in OSU's favor. The number of OSU fans far outnumbered Clemson fans. Based on reading C-D moving forums, it seems tons of people move from Ohio to Arizona. New year's flights across the country were incredibly expensive (probably around $1000), so it's not like all the Clemson fans could just get on a plane. For this reason, tickets to the game were very cheap. I don't know who had more fans at the championship game last year, but at least it was a bit after the new year, so flights wouldn't have been as expensive.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:06 AM

455 posts, read 651,595 times
Clemson outnumbered Bama in the fan count at last year's game in Phoenix by a pretty good margin. That's the main reason there were so many more OSU fans at the Fiesta Bowl (plus a lot of Clemson fans went all in on the Championship game in Tampa, reserving tickets, flights, and hotels immediately after the ACC Championship game).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football