U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,434,683 times

Advertisements

The situation is being stereotyped. He is being compared to Ray Rice because he is a black athlete. He is getting lumped in with every angry black athlete stereotype. The situations are nothing alike.

This is what happened. The girl's guy friend called Joe a racial slur. Joe responded by calling him a f$#. The girl then shoves Joe and hits him in the face. He then throws a punch.

Was he wrong to use that much force? Sure. He was also a teenager and immature. It's a gut reaction. For most young guys, if they get hit in the face, that is their natural inclination to hit back.

Bob Stoops should not be fired. Bigger coaches than him have not only not suspended players for similar actions or allegations, but they let them play. Stoops outright suspended him for a season. They assumed he would transfer to another school. Most athletes in Mixon's case would have. He was the #1 RB out of high school. A lot of programs would have taken him. Mixon chose to sit out that year and stay at OU.

What about the girl in this case? Shouldn't she be held responsible for assaulting him? Just because he is a different gender, it makes it okay? Just because he is bigger and stronger, she is right for hitting him in the face? It's a double standard.

I think Mixon is a good guy. I think he made a terrible mistake but let's stereotype him and just allude to him being some thug or having "rage issues" Give me break. He was a teenager who was just called a racial slur and was hit in the face first, a lot of young immature men would have reacted similarly.

This isn't the first time that women have assaulted men first. It happens in bars all of the time. A lot of women try to start fights or hit or shove guys because they feel they can because guys are not expected to strike back. It happens a lot. I'm glad this got caught on camera. I'm sorry her face was fractured and her mouth was wired shut but if you are stupid enough to assault a football player and hit him in his face, then be prepared for the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Go right ahead and see how far you'd get with charging the other "beast".

Read a quote from the Tulsa World where Mixon claimed he felt like he had been "hit by a dude" in his statement to police. Big bad football player (and a damned tough & talented one) really said that? lol

In the end though, the biggest disgrace is Bob Stoops & Boren thinking a redshirt year was a real punishment. That kid should never have been allowed back on the football team from the moment they watched the video two years ago. It's all about football to them.

Looking at the video, that slap would barely squash a mosquito. Tough guy made himself look silly with such an absurd claim.

That gal is playing it cagey though - not wanting the video to get out - so as to keep it from messing with Mixon's NFL draft status. Girl wants to get paid.
If I was Bob Stoops, I wouldn't have cut Joe Mixon either. This is not a Lawrence Phillips or Ray Rice scenario. Stoops did the right thing. It's not even a Jameis Winston scenario.

The girl assaulted him first. If you watch the tape, Mixon doesn't punch her until she goes for his face. She shoved him and he let it go. He dodges back and takes a swing at her. He was immature and made a poor choice. He should have walked away or just shoved her but he is not a 30 year old man. He was a teenager in that situation. They make poor choices.

It would be one thing if he had raped a girl. This was a completely different scenario. He was in a bar. The guy called him a racial slur. He went back to retaliate and called him a homosexual slur. Then she gets up to defend her friend by hitting him first.

I don't hear you guys calling for Ray Lewis' head. He was "allegedly" an accessory to murder and got away with it. Kobe Bryant "allegedly" raped a woman. Jameis Winston "allegedly" raped a women and Florida St. didn't suspend Winston. None of you posted anything about Jimbo Fisher being fired or criticized FSU for allowing Jameis Winston to remain with the team.

It's a double standard.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
You're advocating violence from males towards women, yet trying to call others "half-wits"? What do you mean "If she felt insulted in any way shape or form, she too could have easily walked away"..? That's exactly what happened at the beginning of the video. She and her friends walked away from the original incident outside. Mixon wasn't through so he followed them in. He instigated the situation. But keep trying to blame the girl for getting punched in the face by a football player. As you've already said, you don't support "double standards" (not sure how this could be considered a double standard unless you think a sorority girl has the same physical composition as a male football player that is twice her size).
That is not what that poster was doing. The poster was citing the double standard that you and so many others are advocating. You are preoccupied with Mixon's reaction but not holding the woman accountable for assaulting him first.

As to who instigated what is up for debate. Both people have their version of their story. Reading both of these, I find Mixon's account to be more believable. Refer to this to see both individual's accounts of what happened.

https://rufwriters.com/2016/12/20/in...ngs-new-facts/

I find this segment rather interesting from the source above

"It is still unknown if Amelia Molitor used the “N” word towards Joe Mixon. Some have reported it, and sources have told me that she in fact said that to him at least once. From this interrogation video, we still do not know. We do know that Molitor’s friend used the “N” word at or describing Mixon whenever Mixon showed up at the table."

Let's also remember that only Mixon was charged with a crime. Why was Molitor not charged? She assaulted him first. Shouldn't she have also been charged? Because she is a woman, she should not be charged even though she struck him first? That is the double standard that you and many conveniently are ignoring. If she had been a male, they would have said Mixon was acting in self defense.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-05-2017 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM

8,363 posts, read 8,360,332 times
Laughable that a big tough football player was afraid a girl half his size was gonna hurt him with a slap upside his head, so he had to crush her skull bones. Then he ran away like a kitty.

Playing the alleged race card after Mixon allegedly called the boy a gay slur?

Really, two scrawny whities gonna pick a fight with a superstud musclebound football player? Where's that lol meme?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,324,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Laughable that a big tough football player was afraid a girl half his size was gonna hurt him with a slap upside his head, so he had to crush her skull bones. Then he ran away like a kitty.

Playing the alleged race card after Mixon allegedly called the boy a gay slur?

Really, two scrawny whities gonna pick a fight with a superstud musclebound football player? Where's that lol meme?
When you're in the heat of the moment, sometimes your fight-or-flight response takes over before you have a chance to reel it back in. Especially if you're a young inexperienced 19-year-old. So if you're not tough enough to take on a superstud musclebound 19-year-old football player, don't hit one in the face. If you do, don't be surprised if you end up eating dinner through a straw for a few weeks.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,040,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
I guess some people think he is supposed to stand there and take everything. I don't agree with his actions because it was over the top. What if she kicked him in the balls. Will that change minds. I agree that he should have left the area. At the same time, he has the right to be there too without being assaulted by anyone. I wonder if people are more pissed because of his race. Hmmm.

I hope she learned a lesson. I know that he has learned a lesson because the public is making him apologize over and over. This is a complete double standard. She needs help too and she should apologize too. Everyone has rights, even the man.
I think most would feel the same regardless of race. I know some have the tough guy philosophy of "get in my face and get dealt with", but most people in society don't act so quickly on emotion (and yes 19 is a man). IMO, most men having a 120 pound woman take a slap at them would simply step back, shake their head and walk away. As a male you usually realize at a young age (4-6 yrs old) to respect your physical advantage over a woman and you don't assert that advantage unless it's a SHTF situation. Yeah, it's a little unfair in the sense that men have the added burden of keeping their emotions more in check, but simply looking blindly at gender could put women at a severe disadvantage.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I think most would feel the same regardless of race. I know some have the tough guy philosophy of "get in my face and get dealt with", but most people in society don't act so quickly on emotion (and yes 19 is a man). IMO, most men having a 120 pound woman take a slap at them would simply step back, shake their head and walk away. As a male you usually realize at a young age (4-6 yrs old) to respect your physical advantage over a woman and you don't assert that advantage unless it's a SHTF situation. Yeah, it's a little unfair in the sense that men have the added burden of keeping their emotions more in check, but simply looking blindly at gender could put women at a severe disadvantage.
Hey, here's an idea: if you're at a severe physical disadvantage against someone, don't start a physical confrontation with them. If we don't want women to get pummeled by men they start physical confrontations with, we need to stop telling them implicitly or explicitly that it's OK to initiate those confrontations.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Hey, here's an idea: if you're at a severe physical disadvantage against someone, don't start a physical confrontation with them. If we don't want women to get pummeled by men they start physical confrontations with, we need to stop telling them implicitly or explicitly that it's OK to initiate those confrontations.
The same could be said if a 8 yr old initiated a confrontation with a 250lb man. Humans aren't simply animals that act based on instincts - we are (or should be) able to logically analyze a situation and determine a reasonably appropriate reaction (that's what makes adults...adults). For example, if an 8 yr old kicks my shin, it may hurt like hell, but I'm not going to feel self righteous in using my pistol on him/her. The same could be said for the 120lb females that tries girl fighting on me...as an adult capable of reasoning, my best punch to the face doesn't seem warranted.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The same could be said if a 8 yr old initiated a confrontation with a 250lb man. Humans aren't simply animals that act based on instincts - we are (or should be) able to logically analyze a situation and determine a reasonably appropriate reaction (that's what makes adults...adults). For example, if an 8 yr old kicks my shin, it may hurt like hell, but I'm not going to feel self righteous in using my pistol on him/her. The same could be said for the 120lb females that tries girl fighting on me...as an adult capable of reasoning, my best punch to the face doesn't seem warranted.
So you're comparing adult women to 8-year-olds. Nah, that's not sexist or condescending at all!

Unless you want to see more women get pummeled, we need to stop signaling that it's OK for them to hit men. It's a lesson even 8-year-olds can understand.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
So you're comparing adult women to 8-year-olds. Nah, that's not sexist or condescending at all!

Unless you want to see more women get pummeled, we need to stop signaling that it's OK for them to hit men. It's a lesson even 8-year-olds can understand.
Why is it sexist and condescending to acknowledge this woman's (and the vast majority) lack of size and strength? If I said her lack of size/strength made her a lesser person, that would be sexist.

Who's signaling that it's ok for anyone to hit anyone? There are legal avenues for both sexes to take if an assault has taken place. In this case, if the athlete simply took a step back, walked away and called the police, he is likely seen as the mature "hero" of the situation (granted, he may have provoked the entire thing if he was harassing the woman's gay friend).

Life often turns out badly for those that act on instincts to knock out (or in many cases shoot) anyone that has wronged/disrespected them. In Mixon's case, this doesn't really come as a shocker:

https://www.google.com/amp/kfor.com/...attendant/amp/

I won't be surprised if bad decisions follow him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or