U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:13 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
It seems to me that a lot of what happened tonight has to do with them being a bunch of freshmen vs. the juniors and seniors at Clemson.
But Clemson's guys were a bunch of sophomores and freshmen last year. And as the commentators noted last night, they didn't have Mike Williams or Deon Cain in the Playoff last year and they nearly took down Alabama. And it's most important to note that OSU was NOT inexperienced at the position that matters most: Quarterback. It's far more important to have a veteran QB than a veteran WR or running back (look what Calvin Ridley did as a freshman).

According to this article, Alabama plays 13 true freshmen, including one at the QB position (Jalen Hurts).

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in..._true_f.html#6
Quote:
Just imagine what would have happened if they still had Cardale and Zeke. I've never been a fan of Barrett or Samuel.
I always imagine what would have happened had Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Sean Taylor, Jonathan Vilma, Ochocinco, Reggie Wayne, Devin Hester, Frank Gore and Warren Sapp had all played together at the U at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Who would have thought that they would be hanging zeroes on opponents.
You know all Michigan fans are now saying: "Hey, at least we scored in our bowl game."

Old 01-01-2017, 10:05 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But Clemson's guys were a bunch of sophomores and freshmen last year. And as the commentators noted last night, they didn't have Mike Williams or Deon Cain in the Playoff last year and they nearly took down Alabama. And it's most important to note that OSU was NOT inexperienced at the position that matters most: Quarterback. It's far more important to have a veteran QB than a veteran WR or running back (look what Calvin Ridley did as a freshman).

According to this article, Alabama plays 13 true freshmen, including one at the QB position (Jalen Hurts).

Tracking all 13 Alabama true freshmen who've played so far | AL.com

I always imagine what would have happened had Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Sean Taylor, Jonathan Vilma, Ochocinco, Reggie Wayne, Devin Hester, Frank Gore and Warren Sapp had all played together at the U at the same time.
Barrett just isn't that good. Anyway, I think you're missing my point about JT/Samuel not being that good. Besides, Zeke (who left after his junior year) has said stuff like "I'd give anything to play with the Buckeyes one more time." Of course, I'm sure that anything doesn't include his $25m contract.

JT is inconsistent, although it didn't help him that his receivers were dropping passes and not getting much separation, and he didn't have a FG kicker who could actually make a FG. I don't think this was his worst game, but I wasn't impressed by him. That said, I think the game just got out of hand. They could have been down 10-6 early instead of 10-0 if they had a decent kicker. It just got out of control. In fact, when they missed their 2nd FG, I saw that coming. I think they missed it from the 30. Instead of going for all 18 yards on 3rd down, they should have gone for ~10, then gone for the rest on 4th down.

It's hard for me to understand how OSU was getting 200+ running yards per game for much of the year with their offense. Their offense was bad last night, it was bad against Michigan, and it was bad against Michigan State.

Watching the game, college penalties are just stupid also. PI is a 15 yard penalty, not at the spot of the foul. For some reason, for offensive holding, it's 10 yards, but they count the play and bring you back 10 yards there. You don't discount the play and get 1st and 20 like you should. Clemson (maybe OSU too, can't remember if they held) actually gained yardage a few times from committing offensive holding.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It's hard for me to understand how OSU was getting 200+ running yards per game for much of the year with their offense. Their offense was bad last night, it was bad against Michigan, and it was bad against Michigan State.
I don't understand why all their opponents didn't load the box all season long. I thought it was very obvious Barrett wasn't a good passer despite what OSU fans were saying. It's one thing to throw short outs and slants and another thing to throw more intermediate and longer routes that require more timing, accuracy and judgment.

Quote:
Watching the game, college penalties are just stupid also. PI is a 15 yard penalty, not at the spot of the foul. For some reason, for offensive holding, it's 10 yards, but they count the play and bring you back 10 yards there. You don't discount the play and get 1st and 20 like you should. Clemson (maybe OSU too, can't remember if they held) actually gained yardage a few times from committing offensive holding.
I actually like the college rule on PI. DB is the hardest position in football next to QB. The whole deck is stacked against you. Nothing is more frustrating than watching good defense all the way down the field and then seeing the ball spotted at the goal line because the receiver ran into the corner. PI in the NFL has gotten a bit ridiculous, imo, and it's nearly impossible to cover any elite receiver in one on one coverage for that reason.

That's why I always say an excellent pass rush is more important than an excellent secondary. Seattle's Legion of Boom got all the credit for shutting down Peyton in the Super Bowl, but it was their Front 7 that forced him into throwing those bad passes. And as the Giants showed--with Strahan, JPP, Umenyiora, and Justin Tuck--you can completely demolish the most dominant passing attack in NFL history if you can get to the QB early, hard and often. The Giants' secondary was mediocre, but a pass rush with both Strahan and Tuck coming off the edges can turn an overall average defense into a great defense.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Give me a nasty front 7 any day of the week. I don't even care if my secondary is Deion, Ed Reed, Revis and Brian Dawkins in their prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXJkUA0kduM

Old 01-01-2017, 01:59 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,747 times
Yeah, I get that about PI. The game has become very offensive-oriented. But if you get beat deep, it's just super cheap to commit PI and get hit for 15 yards and instead of 50 yards. I don't think there's much of a defense for the holding rules though.

Cardale not only was able to pass reasonably well in his 3 games, but more importantly, he was a big big man, and when they got pinned deep against Alabama, he was able to escape all the tackles and run all over them. Barrett just doesn't have that in him. Unfortunately for OSU, he's likely going to be back for a 5th year next year. I don't know if they can find a quality freshman QB to recruit.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,872,366 times
Quote:
Yeah, I get that about PI. The game has become very offensive-oriented. But if you get beat deep, it's just super cheap to commit PI and get hit for 15 yards and instead of 50 yards. I don't think there's much of a defense for the holding rules though.

Cardale not only was able to pass reasonably well in his 3 games, but more importantly, he was a big big man, and when they got pinned deep against Alabama, he was able to escape all the tackles and run all over them. Barrett just doesn't have that in him. Unfortunately for OSU, he's likely going to be back for a 5th year next year. I don't know if they can find a quality freshman QB to recruit.
If Barrett does come back, don't be surprised if he loses the starting job to redshirt freshman Dwayne Haskins, an apparently proficient passer.

Cocky and talented Dwayne Haskins thinks he's Ohio State's Deshaun Watson -- he could be right | cleveland.com

Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But Ohio State did beat more top teams than Clemson, though. Clemson still hasn't seen a defense like the Buckeyes'.
In what sense of the word? OSU's defense was a sieve. Clemson took their foot off the gas.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:00 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
I'm not REALLY recommending this because there's all kinds of problems with it. But.. There's a big difference between a PI and 2 plays that were in the OSU/Clemson game. Twice Clemson got a PI called against them where the defender didn't even turn around to look at the ball. Those are the flagrant PI calls.. And that being a spot foul I could understand. Same thing happened in the Clemson/FSU game, actually.

When both players are going after the ball, or there's a PI call where the DB is looking at the ball coming in.. That's far less egregious to me.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM

2,836 posts, read 1,776,314 times
I'll eat some crow now.

Clemson played a GREAT game. Very impressed by their defensive game plan. Well timed blitzes, but sat in confusing zones most of the time. That's how you play Barrett. I think they executed enough on offense and capitalized on great field position. I think they will win Monday too.

Now, I thought OSUs Defense was fine under normal circumstances (Offense getting first downs and moving the ball) in this case Clemson won't score 31. I've yet to meet a Buckeye fan that had anything negative to say about the defense. I expected Clemson to score 24- not far off. I didn't expect OSU offense to look like it did, although there were some signs during the year.

1. Comment about why teams didn't load the box all year on OSU. Well, there were occasions when Beck and Warriner actually called some decent plays (Oklahoma, Nebraska) and OSU executed. Barrett was actually a very competent QB HALF of the year- the numbers suggest this too. Some teams did load the Box and calls and execution were spot on. OSU put up some huge scores this year.

2. There was time to throw- the comments about OSU OL being overmatched is lazy analysis in my opinion. If some of you folks have played football before you understand at ANY level if you get 4/5 seconds to sit in a pocket and make a throw- you are getting plenty of time. I'd venture to say this was the case 80-85% of the time and on some of those occasions he had 6,7,8 seconds.

3. Williams is a great WR. I was at a loss why we had Denzel Ward on him. Denzel Ward is OSU #3 or #4 Corner. That was an odd matchup to me. I'm a Browns fan too, I don't really think we should draft a guy like Watson in the first round. I don't see a first round NFL talent. Hooker, Williams, Lattimore those are first round guys.

4. Beck and Warriner's puzzling calls reared their ugly head again. It was strange to me that OSU completely abandon the run game. First drive 3 passes. odd. weird. Uncharacteristic. I get the OSU was down one of their better lineman right at the start but still not the way you envision the game. They won't be calling plays for a reason next season. There was one play (only time Barrett is under center) that OSU ALWAYS jet sweeps off of.... 4 times this season Barrett has been under center and Samuel or Campbell goes in motion and gets a jet sweep. They have no action off this play, no wrinkle off of it...nothing. You can see Clemson call it out (I did too) and shift and easily make a stop for a huge loss.

OSU will be back. Way too much talent on the roster- and the talent coming in is unreal. They have a QB coming in that would not surprise me at all if he took the spot and played great FB NEXT season.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 01-04-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or