Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,983,953 times

Advertisements

Should the powers that be tell Minnesota either confirm their desire to play in their bowl game or should they tell them to take a hike and find a more deserving team without the drama unfolding in Minnesota to play in their bowl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:31 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,971,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Should the powers that be tell Minnesota either confirm their desire to play in their bowl game or should they tell them to take a hike and find a more deserving team without the drama unfolding in Minnesota to play in their bowl?
???????????

I was unaware there was any controversy.
Care to share ?

Old 12-16-2016, 12:47 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,918,785 times
well, we really don't want to waste our time with this insignificant bowl game attended by mostly drunken sailors anyways...we only get excited for Rose Bowls

Old 12-16-2016, 02:08 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,543,745 times
I think they need to figure it out by the beginning of next week. Pretty sure if there isn't a resolution by say Tuesday (one week from the Bowl), the Bowl invites Northern Illinois and move on.

They may not even wait that long, and I can't really blame them.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:18 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,543,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
???????????

I was unaware there was any controversy.
Care to share ?

Quick synopsis, forgive me if I miss anything important:

1) Several players were accused of sexual assault.
2) After the police investigation into the matter no charges were filed.
3) The school decided to suspend ten members of the football team because of their "involvement", but declined to provide any further details"

4) The football team declared they have decided, as a sign of solidarity with their 10 teammates that they are NOT going to participate in the SD bowl. They said that their teammates were slandered, and that the school suspension casts a shadow on the character of these young men. They were not charged, but yet they are being disciplined and the rest of the team feels like these 10 players will now have damaged reputations going forward, which will make it harder for them to secure a job once they finish school, and the team believes that is unfair to these 10 students.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:20 PM

I'm a Gopher fan but something isn't right about all those suspensions over an incident happening in Sept.

However, if I was involved with the San Diego Bowl, Minnesota would get 2 days to pee or get off the pot .

Old 12-16-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well, we really don't want to waste our time with this insignificant bowl game attended by mostly drunken sailors anyways...we only get excited for Rose Bowls
How many times in your lifetime has this happened ?

It's been so long ago ( and so infrequent back then ) that I doubt the Gopher athletic dept even know what state Pasadena is in.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:00 PM

9,706 posts, read 7,388,645 times
Anyone want to do a running count on how many 5-7 teams made bowls this year?? I'm pretty sure 4 made it last season, and I'm curious as to whether or not that number is higher or lower this season. May be a deciding factor as to how long the bowl waits. If there's 4+ handful of 5-7 teams if I was the bowl committee person I'd say "$%^k this we don't need any more non-deserving teams playing" and wait it out for a while" If there's 0 5-7 teams, and even some 6-6 teams I may take swift action: a 6-6 New Mexico state or some other 7-5/6-6 Sun Belt team would probably rather be playing than Minnesota. As is, I think they'll play anyways.

And as far as non-deserving teams: I've said this enough on here that you should know it by now, but if you don't: The absolute minimum you should be to go to a bowl game is 7-5, but more likely 8-4. I remember when bowl games used to be the cream of the crop, you got rewarded for having a good season. Now you get rewarded for being less than mediocre. Lose by 40 to Alabama, 25 to Florida, 35 to Georgia, 20 to LSU, and 30 to Auburn but get to play 1 FCS team, & 2 non p-5 teams, and beat up the SEC dregs, we should reward THAT school with a bowl game?? Take away 30, leave the best of the best (Cotton, Rose, Chick-Fil-A, etc) and make the mandatory 65 winning percentage, and make bowl games great again.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:39 PM

529 posts, read 368,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Anyone want to do a running count on how many 5-7 teams made bowls this year?? I'm pretty sure 4 made it last season, and I'm curious as to whether or not that number is higher or lower this season. May be a deciding factor as to how long the bowl waits. If there's 4+ handful of 5-7 teams if I was the bowl committee person I'd say "$%^k this we don't need any more non-deserving teams playing" and wait it out for a while" If there's 0 5-7 teams, and even some 6-6 teams I may take swift action: a 6-6 New Mexico state or some other 7-5/6-6 Sun Belt team would probably rather be playing than Minnesota. As is, I think they'll play anyways.

And as far as non-deserving teams: I've said this enough on here that you should know it by now, but if you don't: The absolute minimum you should be to go to a bowl game is 7-5, but more likely 8-4. I remember when bowl games used to be the cream of the crop, you got rewarded for having a good season. Now you get rewarded for being less than mediocre. Lose by 40 to Alabama, 25 to Florida, 35 to Georgia, 20 to LSU, and 30 to Auburn but get to play 1 FCS team, & 2 non p-5 teams, and beat up the SEC dregs, we should reward THAT school with a bowl game?? Take away 30, leave the best of the best (Cotton, Rose, Chick-Fil-A, etc) and make the mandatory 65 winning percentage, and make bowl games great again.
Pretty sure the number is 2 at the moment, North Texas and Mississippi State. Hawaii is in at 6-7 as well.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:18 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,213,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I think they need to figure it out by the beginning of next week. Pretty sure if there isn't a resolution by say Tuesday (one week from the Bowl), the Bowl invites Northern Illinois and move on.

They may not even wait that long, and I can't really blame them.
It is entirely possible the Holiday Bowl will need to be canceled; it may be hard to get an entire team together on less than two weeks notice to play a neutral site game away from home two days after Christmas when they expected their season to be over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football