U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will you pick?
Alabama 12 57.14%
Clemson 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
2/15 on Third Down

14/32 passing for 155 yards.

25:16 Time of Possession

16 First Downs

I don't think their offense choked.. I just don't think their offense is that good.. Yet. Especially once Bo went out. Is there potential there? oh, yeah.. But they were too green, specifically Hurts

If their offense was like last year.. They could have put the game away in the early 3rd quarter. Because Clemson's offense took a while to really get going, which was the time it took to wear down Bama's defense. And Clemson's pass defense can be suspect at times. Lots of PI calls on them normally. They didn't get one last night.. Why? because no long passes, save one, was close to a receiver.

Clemson let alot of opportunities slip away as well. Take away 3 big runs and a blown coverage and they likely hold Bama to 3 points.
Good points, but that still doesn't take away from Alabama's offense getting the go ahead touchdown with hardly any time left.

It was the defense who could not prevent Clemson from marching down the field and scoring the winning touch down.

Alabama defense..........allowing Clemson to move down the field and get close enough to kick a tying field goal and send it into overtime ?...........understandable

..............................allowing Clemson to move all the way down and score the winning touchdown ?........unexcusable

Plus a couple bonehead penalties by Alabama defense............unexcusable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,154,072 times
I think in the end you can say these teams are pretty evenly matched. Clemson was the only team that could beat Alabama this year and many people felt that before the NC game. The announcers got one thing right last night. Watson took a page out of Vince Young's book and pulled the team together to victory.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Watson took a page out of Vince Young's book and pulled the team together to victory.
He's done that his whole career.

I think it was the Louisville game where they talked about him having a "John Candy" moment. The old story about Joe Montana looking up in the stands at Super Bowl 23 before the final drive and saying "Hey, isn't that John Candy?"

Sadly, Watson is so young he had no idea who John Candy was when someone interviewed him about it.

But he's led that final drive many times through his career.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times
Clemson's touchdown drive was perfect clock management.

They were so precise I worried that a failed touchdown attempt might cause them to have no time for a tying field goal.

Calm, cool, no panic.

Imagine if Les Miles was in charge of clock management on that last drive .

Old 01-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Good points, but that still doesn't take away from Alabama's offense getting the go ahead touchdown with hardly any time left.

It was the defense who could not prevent Clemson from marching down the field and scoring the winning touch down.

Alabama defense..........allowing Clemson to move down the field and get close enough to kick a tying field goal and send it into overtime ?...........understandable

..............................allowing Clemson to move all the way down and score the winning touchdown ?........unexcusable

Plus a couple bonehead penalties by Alabama defense............unexcusable
Ugh.. i've tried to type out a reply to this three times so far and get interrupted each time.

The defense was on the field too long. That was the problem. After 90-some-odd plays that they were on the field, they were just out of gas.. You should blame the offense for not keeping them off the field and making them be out there for 99 plays.

The Unsportsmanlike call at the end.. I agree with you.. Those calls are ALWAYS boneheaded. Well, not the call, the behavior that leads to them. The PI.. Well.. It happens. Better to take the PI than give up the touchdown, though it all washed out the same.

One thing I haven't seen talked about.. To me, the play early on, I think it was the 1st quarter.. There was a very close targeting no-call. And.. Personally, I thought that was targeting.. It wasn't intentional.. He was attempting to lead with his shoulder, but that doesn't matter.. He hit him with the crown of the helmet. He should have been ejected. While I don't agree with the rule as it is.. That is the rule.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:14 PM

3,386 posts, read 4,333,453 times
Quote:
Ugh.. i've tried to type out a reply to this three times so far and get interrupted each time.

The defense was on the field too long. That was the problem. After 90-some-odd plays that they were on the field, they were just out of gas.. You should blame the offense for not keeping them off the field and making them be out there for 99 plays.

The Unsportsmanlike call at the end.. I agree with you.. Those calls are ALWAYS boneheaded. Well, not the call, the behavior that leads to them. The PI.. Well.. It happens. Better to take the PI than give up the touchdown, though it all washed out the same.

One thing I haven't seen talked about.. To me, the play early on, I think it was the 1st quarter.. There was a very close targeting no-call. And.. Personally, I thought that was targeting.. It wasn't intentional.. He was attempting to lead with his shoulder, but that doesn't matter.. He hit him with the crown of the helmet. He should have been ejected. While I don't agree with the rule as it is.. That is the rule.

What this guy said. A big part of Clemson's strategy was apparently wearing out the defense and particular the guys tasked with defending our deep threat wide receivers. If you rewatch they constantly switched out Williams and Leggett. So over the course of the game those two about 50 routes for Clemson and Bama had not subbed out so the defender was up to almost 100. And gassed. If the offense had woken up a little sooner, gotten better field possession of punts or simply stretched one or two possessions I think they could have opened up a lead.

And I understand the fine print of the rule did not make the hit on Willaims targeting on helmet alone- he did hit Williams in a defenseless position. So I agree with you on that count as well.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:32 PM

28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
The bright side of things for Bama fans is that the Tide made good one one promise: they would not allow Clemson to score 40 points on them again.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:42 PM

28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
some of you look at a few impressive wins Clemson may have had this year .. i look at their near misses .. how did they look in a 6 point win over auburn ? or a 6 point win over mighty troy ..and an equally impressive 6 point squeaking by of a not really good Louisville team with an overrated QB ..or that loss they should have gotten if the NC state guy could have made a 30 yard field goal .. how did they look beating Florida State by three ? where was this stellar defense against mighty Pitt ?.. yeah !! they looked good against several really bad teams but not so much against stiff competition .. do you know who played as Deshawn Watson in every bama practice leading up to last years game ? it was Jalen Hurts .. some of you say Clemson won the game last year just not the score .. i say they played way over their heads ..
How did this reasoning work out?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 PM

529 posts, read 280,096 times
Quote:

Nope.

If you watch the replay he hit him with the side of his helmet.

It was helmet to helmet contact but NOT with the crown. It was pretty clear on the replay, and that is how the rule is written.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Nope.

If you watch the replay he hit him with the side of his helmet.

It was helmet to helmet contact but NOT with the crown. It was pretty clear on the replay, and that is how the rule is written.
Crown is defined as anything above the facemask. If, even if it were the side, and I disagree that it was, it was still above the facemask. Now.. Maybe the rule says it's a straight line and above the facemask on the side doesn't count.. If so.. It should count.

There was also that play.. Now, this one was NOT targeting, but.. The one that was a hit right under the helmet on Williams? I mean, right to the chin. There was nothing wrong with that, but in the interests of safety.. There SHOULD have been. Meaning.. That's something that should be looked at for a possible rule change for next year. That was an intimidation play, intentional, and very dangerous.

And.. From the other side.. I didn't catch this in the game, but did when I watched highlights.. When Boulware nailed the 10 yard loss on Bama's final drive.. Sniffed out that screen.. He was AWFUL close to delivering a suplex there. Didn't look like it when I first was watching the game, but later.. Yeah..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football