U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 01:51 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know exactly how bowl games make money. I am not talking about the big bowl games (Fiesta Sugar, Orange, etc.) because that's pretty obvious. I am referring to the useless bowl games we now have that feature riveting match ups between 6-6 teams being played in front of less than half full stadiums. I cannot imagine the sponsors are paying seven figures to have their names on the game, nor at TV ratings anything stellar. Take for example the 2016 Quicklane Bowl played in Detroit between 6-6 Boston College and 6-6 Maryland in front of 19,000 fans. How is that bowl making money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 02:31 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,857,551 times
I mean they sell tickets and make money. What are their expenditures? Lights for that one night can't cost that much money. If it is even a night game. Concessions, Water, etc.

19K times whatever the ticket price is quite a bit of money. even at $20 per ticket your talking 380K.

Team payouts are pretty small for the lower tier bowls too.
It is the TEAMS that are generally losing money on these crap bowls.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:42 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,537,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I mean they sell tickets and make money. What are their expenditures? Lights for that one night can't cost that much money. If it is even a night game. Concessions, Water, etc.

19K times whatever the ticket price is quite a bit of money. even at $20 per ticket your talking 380K.

Team payouts are pretty small for the lower tier bowls too.
It is the TEAMS that are generally losing money on these crap bowls.
BS !

I don't know why posters keep bashing the lessor bowl games.

A sponsor is willing to sponsor them, the teams are willing to play in them , and the colleges do make money.

Seems the ones complaining are the ones sitting on a couch and too lazy to turn the remote away from a game they don't want to watch .

Old 01-11-2017, 06:30 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,857,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
BS !

I don't know why posters keep bashing the lessor bowl games.

A sponsor is willing to sponsor them, the teams are willing to play in them , and the colleges do make money.

Seems the ones complaining are the ones sitting on a couch and too lazy to turn the remote away from a game they don't want to watch .
First of all, I don't mind the lesser bowls. I enjoyed quite a few of them this season in particular.

Second of all, here are a couple of articles that support my statement so I'll stand by it.

Bowl Games Are Not Always Winners For Schools CBS Miami

do-the-economics-of-bowl-games-make-sense-for-schools-sponsors

Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 AM

Schools can reject any bowl invitations of bowls they don't want to participate in.
Sponsors can drop their sponsorship of bowls from year to year.
Cities can refuse to host those bowl games

Lastly, fans who hate those bowl games are under no obligation to watch them.

Some of those lessor bowl games have produced some close exciting games.

If some are money losers, they will be weeded out.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 AM

The AD of a Sunbelt Conference bowl team was just stating that the Sunbelt Conference schools benefitted $$$$$$$$$$ from having many teams go to a bowl this year.

(Sunbelt Conference teams rarely play in the "big name " bowl games )

Old 07-14-2017, 09:38 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,958,980 times
Corporate sponsors now liter the bowl landscape. Many of these lower tier bowl games don't even sell half their tickets but with a corporate sponsor that covers your costs at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or