U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 AM

431 posts, read 309,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Arrrggghhh! And I don't hear anything about either of those top vote-getters in the NFL, but they're from "glamour schools" so they got all the attention and love.
Weinke is a back-up QB with the Carolina Panthers and Josh Heupel is a QB Coach at OU. He's also the founder of an organization called Number 14 - they are all about helping under-priveleged youth in OK have an alternative to street gangs, crime and dropping out of school. That is success in my book - if his organization helps one kid better his life.

Looking forward to the Tostito Bowl! :=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 AM

944 posts, read 3,631,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Weinke is a back-up QB with the Carolina Panthers and Josh Heupel is a QB Coach at OU. He's also the founder of an organization called Number 14 - they are all about helping under-priveleged youth in OK have an alternative to street gangs, crime and dropping out of school. That is success in my book - if his organization helps one kid better his life.
Ladies and Gentlemen: I've just been schooled!

Thanks for the info. Now I feel guilty for getting uppity about those guys being voted over Tomlinson. But on a pure football skills basis, Tomlinson should have won. I love what Heupel is doing! He always had the face of a truly nice person even in the heat of battle on the football field. Not surprising to learn that he's doing good deeds.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:46 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,169,167 times
Last night I saw the Hawaii Bowl and a Hawaiian player was flagged in the endzone for unsportsmen like conduct.
What he did: he gave fans high fives.
That's it. He didn't dance in the endzone, he didn't taunt the other team. All he did was acknowledge the fans. And it was a bunch of kids, too.
He was ejected from the game and the fans rightfully booed the ref. I didn't see anything wrong with what the player did. Those fans look up to their players. Hey, Hawaii doesn't really have football other than Hawaii University (the Pro Bowl too, but that only comes once a year and they're talking about moving the game somewhere else). I think it's wrong for college players to make a show of endzone celebrations, but come on, can't they do anything? I don't see anything wrong with the Heisman Pose. And I don't see anything wrong with shaking fans' hands.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:23 PM

98 posts, read 400,174 times
Go Vols!! Penn State is goin down

Old 12-26-2006, 10:31 AM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,933,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Last night I saw the Hawaii Bowl and a Hawaiian player was flagged in the endzone for unsportsmen like conduct.
What he did: he gave fans high fives.
That's it. He didn't dance in the endzone, he didn't taunt the other team. All he did was acknowledge the fans. And it was a bunch of kids, too.
He was ejected from the game and the fans rightfully booed the ref. I didn't see anything wrong with what the player did. Those fans look up to their players. Hey, Hawaii doesn't really have football other than Hawaii University (the Pro Bowl too, but that only comes once a year and they're talking about moving the game somewhere else). I think it's wrong for college players to make a show of endzone celebrations, but come on, can't they do anything? I don't see anything wrong with the Heisman Pose. And I don't see anything wrong with shaking fans' hands.

I thought it was a pretty stupid call,but some Ref's view things differently than others.I have still yet to see a ref call someone for diving into the endzone for a Touchdown.I think that is taunting to the other team.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:51 PM

944 posts, read 3,631,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That was the most ridiculous call, these college football rules are incredibly uptight. What are they supposed to do when they score a touchdown, calmly walk away and pretend they're not happy?

Colt Brennan was AMAZING and I hope he comes back for another year so we can see him get a Heisman. Oh, wait.... there's an unwritten rule that you can't win the Heisman unless you're on a major team. Never mind if he breaks every QB record in the books, he'll have a tough time winning over the glamor stars on the glamor teams.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:19 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,169,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
That was the most ridiculous call, these college football rules are incredibly uptight. What are they supposed to do when they score a touchdown, calmly walk away and pretend they're not happy?

Colt Brennan was AMAZING and I hope he comes back for another year so we can see him get a Heisman. Oh, wait.... there's an unwritten rule that you can't win the Heisman unless you're on a major team. Never mind if he breaks every QB record in the books, he'll have a tough time winning over the glamor stars on the glamor teams.
That's a nother thing. Why is it that the so called "Big teams" get everything. Hiesman trophy winners, better chances to play in BCS games...it's sad that the underdogs get no shot in anything. I'm sick of the BCS popularity contest.
Even I came up with a tournament system that's a heck of alot better than the current, "we love to play favorites" system that college football has now.
Colt Brennan is a great QB. From what I saw that night, he could be great on Sundays. It's just a shame that him and Hawaii will be under the BCS cloud because they're not "BCS material".

Old 12-26-2006, 05:34 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,955,498 times
[quote=rdbeard5;190170]I personally believe Florida should get into the BCS title game simply because the Big 11 (Big 10) and PAC 10 do not have a conference championship. Teams that play in conferences that do not have a championship game should be penalized in the final BCS standings since they play one less game than the Big 12, SEC, ACC and Big East.
QUOTE]

This makes no sense! A team can jump your team in the BCS standings because your conference does not have a conference championship and theirs does.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,955,498 times
If Colt Brennan were to win the Heisman Trophy as you'd agreed, but only if he was in a major conference or a major team. Here's the answer, you have the ability to schedule a tough non-conference team. Yes, Oregon State was a good team. But, you have to play a powerhouse from either the Big 12Big 10 SEC. Because the voters are on the East Coast, not on the island of Hawaii. Just like when the Pac 10 would complain the East Coast journalists would not watch their games because it was only regional games. Colt Brennan is an amazing quarterback, but there's also an amazing system. I believe Colt Brennan should have attended the Heisman awards, but he's not the same athlete as Troy Smith or Derrick McFadden, and therefore would have placed second. No, Quinn should not have been in attendance, he was absolutely slaughtered by my Michigan wolverines and USC, the only two quality teams Notre Dame had played.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,135,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
This makes no sense! A team can jump your team in the BCS standings because your conference does not have a conference championship and theirs does.
Say hypothetically OU finished 12-0 in the regular season and was ranked #1 in the BCS. They play the Big 12 championship and lose, this loss would probably knock them out of the National Championship game. USC also finished 12-0 in the regular season and ranked #2 in the BCS. Since the PAC 10 doesn't have a championship game they don't have the opportunity to LOSE that extra game and get knocked out of the title game.

It happened this year. Before the conference championship games Michigan and Florida were both 11-1. Michigan was #2 in the BCS but sat at home because their season was over. Florida played a in the SEC championship game and won, thus becoming 12-1. I'm sure that winning the SEC championship game is what moved them ahead of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football