U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:00 PM

944 posts, read 3,633,994 times

Advertisements

I can't believe what happened today --- USC lost!!!!!

Everyone was sure the BCS championship game would be Ohio State vs. USC. Now it looks like Florida has the inside track, although Michigan is deserving of the opportunity because the only loss on their record is by 3 points to Ohio State on OSU's home turf. In other words, Michigan lost by the average "home advantage" of 3 points, which means they essentially TIED that game!

Am I on the wrong forum or is there someone out there who's interested in this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 09:14 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,934,831 times
I'm shocked USC lost this game tonight.I was thinking USC - Ohio St. for the NC.The question is do they want to see this rematch between Ohio St. and Michigan.Florida to me would have the inside track because of strength of schedule but they threw the strength of schedule out of the BSC if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:22 PM

The voters in the polls can put strength of schedule, margin of victory, and anything else they want into their private thoughts about how they vote. So it's still there, it's just not part of the official equation. I'm 90% sure it will be Florida because most of the talking heads on ESPN etc, are saying they don't want to see a re-match and they don't think it would be fair.

Of course we all know what would be fair, and it's called a PLAYOFF!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,934,831 times
The BCS poll was suppose to be the one poll to determine the true 1 vs 2 matchup.I agree Florida should get bumped up and face Ohio St. in the NC.I also agree the only way to stop the BS is to have a playoff system.

This is a good read:

Snipped - copyright issues.
Original here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Poll

Last edited by Administrator; 12-03-2006 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Snipped - copyright issues.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 PM

454 posts, read 683,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I can! USC's record does not show the real team that we in the PAC10 saw. The lowly Washington Huskies and Washington State Cougars almost beat them, the Huskies almost nailed them in LA! Yes, they won, but they are nothing compared to what they were last year.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
...I also agree the only way to stop the BS is to have a playoff system.
You can't spell "BCS" without "BS", eh?

Thanks for the historical overview of the system.

dufferz, you saw a lot more of USC than I did. I've mostly seen the highlight reels and when you just see a series of the best plays from this year's offense they look spectacular. That one-handed leaping touchdown grab by, uhhh, what's-his-name, that's one of the greatest catches I've ever seen! Not that Reggie Bush's highlights weren't a jaw-dropper to watch over and over, I could never get enough of that guy and I wish the NFL were as crazy as the college level. But the defenses are too good to let guys like Bush go haywire the way he could in school. I'd love to download a copy of his high school highlights, the one that got all the media attention. Happen to know any newsgroups where it might be posted? (hint hint)

p.s. --- you and I, as of the moment I'm writing this, are both at a 108 rating, but you have fewer than half as many posts as I do. So you're more than twice as good, twice as handsome, twice as rich, twice as helpful and loveable.... Actually, I think I'm too controversial to ever go much higher cuz I like to debate politics and I love to lob controversial comments into conversations to see what happens. So I do get my share of negative ratings and some pretty nasty feedback, which is to be expected...

Old 12-03-2006, 12:26 PM

569 posts, read 1,136,366 times
Quote:

Everyone was sure the BCS championship game would be Ohio State vs. USC. Now it looks like Florida has the inside track, although Michigan is deserving of the opportunity because the only loss on their record is by 3 points to Ohio State on OSU's home turf. In other words, Michigan lost by the average "home advantage" of 3 points, which means they essentially TIED that game!

Am I on the wrong forum or is there someone out there who's interested in this topic?

I personally believe Florida should get into the BCS title game simply because the Big 11 (Big 10) and PAC 10 do not have a conference championship. Teams that play in conferences that do not have a championship game should be penalized in the final BCS standings since they play one less game than the Big 12, SEC, ACC and Big East.

Deeptrance: On a side note, I see that you live in Austin. Are you a UT fan? While watching the Big 12 championship last night I saw a great sign in the stands. It said:
Hotel - $350
Big 12 Championship tickets - $700
Using Texas' hotel and tickets - Priceless!

This should tell you where my heart is!
"I'm Sooner born and I'm Sooner bred. And when I die I'll be Sooner Dead!"

Old 12-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I personally believe Florida should get into the BCS title game simply because the Big 11 (Big 10)
Are you a Clone too? I'm such a clone that I actually print out lists of Jungle affiliates before I go on a roadie, just in case I can catch Rome in some other part of the country that I'm traveling through. If you don't know what I'm talking about then just ignore these comments. If you DO know what I'm talking about then I just want to say that Terrence in Sierra Madre has mad smack and he's been jammed a few times, I think he out-performs The Cablinasian but he never wins the smack-off. If you disagree, go ahead and drop the hammer.
Quote:
Deeptrance: On a side note, I see that you live in Austin. Are you a UT fan?
I've been in Austin since 1990. Spent 6 years in a PhD program in Marketing, the business school is couple hundred yards up the road from the stadium. You tell me, am I a Longhorn fan?

By the way, nice to see VY's game is actually working in his first year in the NFL! Been watching a bit today, saw some of that same slippery action where he looks like he's going for an after-Thanksgiving-dinner-stroll while eluding a bunch of 300 pound tacklers who are trying to kill him. He's a freak! And he's the reason I'm going to get more into NFL football instead of just sticking with college.
Quote:
While watching the Big 12 championship last night I saw a great sign in the stands. It said:
Hotel - $350
Big 12 Championship tickets - $700
Using Texas' hotel and tickets - Priceless!

This should tell you where my heart is!
"I'm Sooner born and I'm Sooner bred. And when I die I'll be Sooner Dead!"
Well, this should tell you where my heart is:
1. Texas
2. Aggies
3. Sooners

I'm a fan of our region and I believe in sticking together. Have fun with the rivalries but have respect. It's so different from places like Ohio and Michigan where they celebrate by burning their city to the ground. I dig the culture of the south-central USA! When the Aggie bonfire killed those students, thousands of UT fans held a candlelight ceremony to honor them. I was crying, man. That's what being a Texan is all about. That type of thing wouldn't happen in my home state, California, which is constantly hyping how superior it is to our part of the world. I hate that elitism. I love the humility and down-to-earth nature of people in this part of the country, even though it's kinda messed up in many ways. Well, I'm kinda messed up in many ways too, so it's a good fit for me.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:28 PM

569 posts, read 1,136,366 times
Quote:
Are you a Clone too? I'm such a clone that I actually print out lists of Jungle affiliates before I go on a roadie, just in case I can catch Rome in some other part of the country that I'm traveling through. If you don't know what I'm talking about then just ignore these comments.
I'm no clone, but I do know of what you speak.

Quote:
By the way, nice to see VY's game is actually working in his first year in the NFL!
Being a Sooner I was glad to see him graduate and move up to the NFL!

Quote:
Well, this should tell you where my heart is:
1. Texas
2. Aggies
3. Sooners

I'm a fan of our region and I believe in sticking together. Have fun with the rivalries but have respect.
Well said! I used to root for the Sooners and whoever was playing Texas, Nebraska, A&M, etc. However, my late Grandfather and I were discussing the bowl games a few years back and he explained to me why he rooted for the Big 12. He said that he always rooted for the Big 12 schools to do well because when the conference did well it made Oklahoma look better. Coming from a man who used to fly his Cessna from Casper, WY to Norman to go to the games with his brother, made me rethink how I viewed the rest of the Big 12.

That being said, I never thought I could root for UT in their quest for a National Championship. But after remembering my conversion with that wise old man, I found myself doing just that! You should have seen the looks on my friends faces the first time I yelled "Hook 'em "Horns".

Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
[re: Vince young] -- Being a Sooner I was glad to see him graduate and move up to the NFL!
I hear that! In fact, I kinda wish you guys had won the Red River shootout this year, but your boys were still adjusting to all the changes and injuries. Regardless of all that, you get to show Boise how the REAL college game is played . Don't let us down, OK?
Quote:
You should have seen the looks on my friends faces the first time I yelled "Hook 'em "Horns".
Yeah, we have that whole "OU Sucks" thing going on here, like people call into local talk shows and say "Hi, I'm Ron and it's 3:47 PM and OU still sucks" like it's a normal greeting for Texans. I totally don't feel that way but I love it anyway because it's fun. Problem with some sports fans is they get too serious about it, like British soccer hooligans or soccer fans just about anywhere. They like to riot a lot. And toss urine bombs (yikes!) And the northeast, especially the old industrial states, are really bad. If their team wins ANY sport, they riot. If they lose, they change their response and, uhhh, they riot.

It's a freaking GAME. Supposed to be fun, entertaining. Yeah, I know people get emotional about it, I do too, but I'm not going to burn cars in the street over a sports championship. That, to me, is evidence that we may not have evolved as far past the apes as we imagine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football