U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 05:31 PM

5,119 posts, read 6,927,336 times

Advertisements

Time for a new coach! No excuses for what happened yesterday (even without Grier).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 07:15 AM

8,467 posts, read 8,497,368 times
Reading a UT board that the Houston Coogs are dumping Applewhite and courting Holgorsen.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:48 AM

3,334 posts, read 1,892,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Reading a UT board that the Houston Coogs are dumping Applewhite and courting Holgorsen.
That would be a step down the ladder.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:28 PM

No kidding.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:45 PM

3,334 posts, read 1,892,209 times
I read an interesting article today that proposed that it could happen.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:45 PM

The word on the street here in Dub-Vee is that he will indeed be going to Houston. All parties would be satisfied in the event, even though I agree that it would be a step down for him. He’d probably make more there though. I hope this comes to true, because I have been screaming for his head for a long time! I also trust our AD tremendously that he can secure us a solid HC!

Old 12-31-2018, 06:41 AM

Houston (Cougar High) has been trying to shed its reputation as a commuter school.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 PM

West Virginia is hiring Troy’s Neal Brown as its next head coach.

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2019/1...ch-search-hire

This is an up and coming coach, who I think will fit in well in Morgantown! Out of the options we had, I believe that this was the best choice. He is a family man who has a similar style offensive scheme, but is also defensive minded. Welcome to the Mountain State Coach Brown!

Old 08-19-2019, 11:02 AM

The Neal Brown Era is here, and we are less than two weeks away from opening up against James Madison.

Some Preseason observations:

1) Still no official announcement on a starting QB, but all indicators point to OU transfer Austin Kendall. Kendall sat on the bench behind Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray and wanted an opportunity to show what he could do when OU once again bumped him on the depth chart for incoming Alabama transfer Jalen Hurts. Kendall was a four star coming out of HS, so it should be interesting to see how he plays. The other options at QB are Jack Allison and Trey Lowe. Many believe Lowe is the future, and so this fall camp he has impressed Brown and his staff. An announcement on QB could be given any day now, with a major scrimmage being held this past Friday night under the lights.

2) O & D Lines should be very good. We have some skilled linemen returning on both sides of the line for this fall. This should help whoever the QB is on offense, and also put pressure on the other teams offense to help our struggling defense.

3) Running Backs are stacked! We might not have the passing attack that we've had these past two seasons, however we have 4 absolute studs at RB. With a solid O-Line, we should still have production on offense. This will; help control clock/tempo, help the eventual QB with play action and RPO, and should ultimately make us a better team than most people think that we will be. All of these guys have experience, and two of them might be playing on Sundays next season. 3 of the 4 have proven that they can catch the ball out of the backfield and make plays. I'm excited for these guys! The names to remember are McCoy, Pettaway, Brown, and Sinkfield.

4) Safeties and Corners are a concern. We have has some serious problems back there this off season with dismissals and transfers. I wouldn't be shocked if this costs us some games. Hopefully I'm wrong, but usually its a safe bet that our secondary is going to struggle. We have some guys back there that have made plays, but also some guys that had to change positions. Lucky thing for WV this year is that their aren't as many lethal passing QBs this year as there were in years past. Jalen Hurts at OU can certainly throw the football, but it was his lack of being a deep threat that propelled Nick Saban to play Tua over him this past season. OU's recievers shouls be able to helf Hurts out. Ellinger at Texas and Purdy and Iowa State will be the biggest challenges for our secondary.

5) Our WRs are talented but have no experience. We have a deep room of potential, but other than Tevin Bush and TJ Simmons, none of them have any meaningful snaps under their belt. If this position group can somehow be above average, then we have a real shot (even with a mediocre QB) to exceed expectations for the fall. Name to remember is Sam James who is touted as the next great Mountaineer receiver.

6) Neal Brown is the man for the job! If you've read my posts before, you'll know that I was never the biggest Dana fan. Neal Brown is not only a better rounded and proven talent at coach, he has far better character and integrity than Dana ever had. We are super proud here in West Virginia to have such a class act!

Predictions for the season:

Most people have written off the Mountaineers as in re-build mode and that they would be lucky to make a bowl game. While I agree with most of that, I would like to point out that we have a lot of talent that just needs a competent coach to mold it into a winning program. I do not believe that WVU will be breaking records or competing for the Big 12 title this year. However, I could see a solid season with a bowl game.

6-6 (4-5 Big 12) or 7-5 (5-4 Big 12) is my prediction
This includes one upset over a top 25 (Big Game Neal)

I will get into specific games as the season progresses!

Let's Goooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2019, 01:55 PM

Update:

Austin Kendall names starter verse JMU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or