U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 AM

1,162 posts, read 573,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
20-6 so far with Utah (likely loss) and Washington (likely win) still upcoming, so I will likely finish this week 21-7 which will get me to 82-42. Damn Florida State. They may have lost in overtime anyways, but how the hell does he get into the end zone on that play with under 10 seconds to play??
I was born and raised in Arizona but lived in Florida for 14 years - mostly in Tallahassee. The history of that rivalry is known for last-play drama like that. There was Wide Right I, Wide Right II, etc. In the early 00s, Chris Rix lost all his games against Miami - some on the last play. He set a "record" for losing to the same team, a rival, five teams.

Fast-forward to the modern era and Miami had been dismal since 2009. But this time, they reinvigorated the rivalry and last-play heroics of decades past. The Canes are finally back on top - for this year at least. But knowing FSU, they will be back with a vengeance. I lived in South FL for one year too. I know FL well-enough to see the clash of cultures - FSU has the Bible-Belt White Protestants of North Florida and the Panhandle - descendants of the Confederates. By contrast, Miami has the Latin American/Caribbean Fans of South Florida. Demographically, they are worlds apart despite being in the same state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCoc7SUpEc8

As for me, I went to FSU for graduate school but got sick of the football scandals. I am one of the rare FSU graduates who believes Erica Kinsman. So, I only root for the FSU women's soccer team. When it comes to football, I am a Gator. I went to graduate school there too (LOL). That Gator home game against Ole Miss was the best football game I had ever seen in an ultra-excited environment of "The Swamp".

Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM

2,086 posts, read 1,026,666 times
All right, y'all. Time for Week 7 picks. Here are the games for this week.

(5) Washington State vs. Cal
Florida State vs. Duke
(17) Michigan vs. Indiana
(19) NC State vs. Pittsburgh
Connecticut vs. Temple
South Carolina vs. Tennessee
Texas Tech vs. West Virginia
(7) TCU vs. Kansas State
Georgia Tech vs. (11) Miami
Northwestern vs. Maryland
Virginia vs. North Carolina
Akron vs. Western Michigan
(13) Auburn vs. LSU
(15) Oklahoma vs. Texas
Baylor vs. (10) Oklahoma State
Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss
Purdue vs. (8) Wisconsin
(25) Navy vs. Memphis
Texas A&M vs. Florida
Arkansas vs. (2) Alabama
Cincinnati vs. (14) USF
Missouri vs. (6) Georgia
(12) Ohio State vs. Nebraska
(22) Utah vs. (9) USC
Michigan State vs. Minnesota
UCLA vs. Arizona
Boise State vs. (18) San Diego State
Oregon vs. (20) Stanford

Pick Overall Record: 91-46
Pick Record Last Week: 18-10

Here are my picks.
Washington State vs. Cal (Should be an easy win for Wazzu.)
Florida State vs. Duke (Surely, this is another one the 'Noles can win, right?)
Michigan vs. Indiana (I'll take the Wolverines on the road in Bloomington...)
NC State vs. Pittsburgh (This should be an easy win for NC State, but they are a weird as **** team every year, so you never know.)
Connecticut vs. Temple (I don't know who to pick here...)
South Carolina vs. Tennessee (Rocky Top is crumbling to pieces...i'll have to see what Guarantano can do first before i change my mind on the Vols. Either way, i think Butch is doomed.)
Texas Tech vs. West Virginia (Tossup pick...i'll take Grier and the Mountaineers at home.)
TCU vs. Kansas State (TCU's better than what i thought they'd be this year.)
Georgia Tech vs. Miami (Mark Richt is GT's daddy...Miami wins this one.)
Northwestern vs. Maryland (I'll take Northwestern on the road.)
Virginia vs. North Carolina (If Virginia can't beat this UNC team, will they ever beat them again?)
Akron vs. Western Michigan (Broncos at home against Akron.)
Auburn vs. LSU (If there's any year that Auburn snaps the streak in Baton Rouge, this is it.)
Oklahoma vs. Texas (Mike Stoops' defense against Tim Beck's offense...the best way to describe this game, is a fresh batch of who the hell knows?)
Baylor vs. Oklahoma State (Okie State should win, but don't sleep on Baylor...they may not have won a game, but they haven't had their butts handed to them yet.)
Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss (Who even knows at this point?)
Purdue vs. Wisconsin (Badgers won't be tested until November. And likely not even until the B1G title game.)
Navy vs. Memphis (I don't know here...this is a guess.)
Texas A&M vs. Florida (The Aggies are not as good as their record and result against Alabama makes them look. The game against Florida, they should win, though.)
Arkansas vs. Alabama (Holy mother of god...If South Carolina can put up 48 on the Hogs, then you can't say Alabama can't put up 100 on them.)
Cincinnati vs. USF (This should be a very easy win for the Bulls.)
Missouri vs. Georgia (Missouri looked better against Kentucky...they'll go back to being the toilet of the SEC again this week.)
Ohio State vs. Nebraska (Buckeyes by 28 or more points.)
Utah vs. USC (Utah has never won in LA...even when they were 3rd and USC was having issues, they got owned...it won't be any different this time IMO.)
Michigan State vs. Minnesota (Sparty on the road over a not very good Minnesota team.)
UCLA vs. Arizona (Maybe if Rich had started Khalil Tate first, maybe Arizona's season wouldn't be the way it is now.)
Boise State vs. San Diego State (Broncos are sinking...Aztecs by 14 points or more.)
Oregon vs. Stanford (Oregon's big play-makers are injured...or most of them are, anyway. And Stanford looks a hell of a lot better than they did their first 3 games.)

Old 10-12-2017, 02:29 PM

9,510 posts, read 7,206,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
All right, y'all. Time for Week 7 picks. Here are the games for this week.

South Carolina vs. Tennessee

South Carolina vs. Tennessee (Rocky Top is crumbling to pieces...i'll have to see what Guarantano can do first before i change my mind on the Vols. Either way, i think Butch is doomed.)
This one.. Carolina has won precisely ONCE at Tennessee.. Ever.

In 2011, which if I recall was a good year for Carolina and a bad one for Tennessee.. Carolina won 14-3 at Tennessee..

Yeah, Carolina finished 11-2 and Tennessee was 5-7. Carolina won that game 14-3

In 2013.. Carolina finished 11-2 and Tennessee was 5-7.. Carolina lost that game 23-21

So. I'd tend to agree with you that Carolina is the stronger team.. But they tend to lay an egg in Knoxville no matter how good they are or how bad Tennessee is.

Carolina has only beaten Tennessee 5 times in history. So.. Logically.. I agree with you. Looking at history.. I think Tennessee pulls off the win.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM

6,580 posts, read 4,537,350 times
Last week: 21-7
Overall: 82-42

(5) Washington State vs. Cal. The Wazzu show on the road in another prime time matchup.
Florida State vs. Duke. FSU due to win a game sometime soon, right??
(17) Michigan vs. Indiana. Indy will keep it close, but Wolverines bounce back.
(19) NC State vs. Pittsburgh. NC State should win, but knowing their history they will probably lose.
Connecticut vs. Temple. Toilet bowl of the week!
South Carolina vs. Tennessee. Butch Jones will have to go into the Witness Protection Program if Tenn loses this one.
Texas Tech vs. West Virginia. 'Eers should be able to outscore them.
(7) TCU vs. Kansas State. Close game in the little apple, but TCU is rolling, hard to go against them.
Georgia Tech vs. (11) Miami. Another game that is close, but the home team wins this one.
Northwestern vs. Maryland. Toss up pick.
Virginia vs. North Carolina. So far UVA looks like the better team.
Akron vs. Western Michigan. Directional Michigan at home!
(13) Auburn vs. LSU. Yes, LSU stinks but at home I think they can get the win.
(15) Oklahoma vs. Texas. Oklahoma will bounce back in this rivalry series they have crushed Texas recently.
Baylor vs. (10) Oklahoma State. I think the Pokes blow them out.
Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss. Ole Miss is terrible, so not playing a top SEC team Vandy should get the win.
Purdue vs. (8) Wisconsin. Another easy win for the Badgers.
(25) Navy vs. Memphis. Who knows with Memphis?? Outside of the UConn game last weekend they have played to their opponents level (beat UCLA, get crushed @ UCF). They may not win, but I think Memphis keeps it close.
Texas A&M vs. Florida. Have the Gators left the state of Florida since their week 1 game against Michigan?? Seems like every weekend they are playing at home.
Arkansas vs. (2) Alabama. This will get ugly.
Cincinnati vs. (14) USF. Bulls at home.
Missouri vs. (6) Georgia. Easy win.
(12) Ohio State vs. Nebraska. Buckeyes by 2+ touchdowns in Lincoln.
(22) Utah vs. (9) USC. geez, is this the only game between 2 ranked teams this week?? And this doesn't even look that exciting.
Michigan State vs. Minnesota. Can Sparty keep their momentum from the win in Ann Arbor last weekend??
UCLA vs. Arizona. UCLA's defense still stinks!
Boise State vs. (18) San Diego State. These aren't your Chris Pederson's Broncos!
Oregon vs. (20) Stanford. Cardinal on the farm.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 PM

587 posts, read 384,042 times
Down goes Clemson!
Never play on Friday the 13th.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:43 PM

5,108 posts, read 6,897,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Down goes Clemson!

Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 PM

20,026 posts, read 19,133,783 times
Clemson needs to have heads examined after the surprise loss. First, defense did not step up to make big plays. Second, Kelly Bryant's injury aside, too many drives were wasted. You cannot win games by punting the ball and going for field goals.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:24 PM

6,580 posts, read 4,537,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Down goes Clemson!
After Dabo Sweeney came on SiriusXM the other day and complained about how playing Friday nights are terrible I figured they would be in trouble, even against a crap team like Syracuse. I mean, the same thing happened with the US soccer team. They complained the entire afternoon about how the field was unplayable, so that gave them a built in excuse in case they lost, which of course is what happened.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:42 AM

Clemson loses to Syracuse...and Cal smacks the hell out of Washington State? Cal actually has defense once? And weren't they projected to go 1-11, 2-10 by a lot of people?

Cal could be 7-3 heading into the Stanford game. Just look at their next three opponents.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 PM

Welp....bye, Butch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or