U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 01:31 AM

3,968 posts, read 3,632,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Almost puts bona fide guaranteed loss to Kentucky this Saturday.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:22 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,965 times
All right, y'all. Time for Week 9 picks. Here are the games this week.

Eastern Michigan vs. Northern Illinois
Florida State vs. Boston College
Tulane vs. (25) Memphis
Tulsa vs. SMU
(10) Oklahoma State vs. (23) West Virginia
Texas vs. Baylor
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss
Virginia vs. Pittsburgh
Cal vs. Colorado
Air Force vs. Colorado State
(3) Georgia vs. Florida
Indiana vs. Maryland
(2) Penn State vs. (7) Ohio State
(4) TCU vs. (24) Iowa State
(22) Michigan State vs. Northwestern
UCLA vs. (13) Washington
(15) NC State vs. (9) Notre Dame
Houston vs. (12) USF
Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina
Utah vs. Oregon
Minnesota vs. Iowa
UAB vs. Southern Miss
Mississippi State vs. Texas A&M
Tennessee vs. Kentucky
Nebraska vs. Purdue
Georgia Tech vs. (8) Clemson
(16) Washington State vs. Arizona
(17) USC vs. Arizona State

Pick Overall Record: 132-61
Pick Record Last Week: 20-8

Here are my picks.
Eastern Michigan vs. Northern Illinois (Eastern Michigan's been unlucky this season...they're gonna beat someone, IMO, and it may be this game, may be another, but they'll beat someone.)
Florida State vs. Boston College ('Noles can kiss their bowl-hopes goodbye if they lose this one.)
Tulane vs. Memphis (I'll take Memphis at home against Tulane. Yes, Tulane almost came back to beat USF, but they were at home in Yulman.)
Tulsa vs. SMU (SMU loses to Houston by 13, then Houston gets blown out by Tulsa...why? Because football, that's why.)
Oklahoma State vs. West Virginia (Mountaineers almost blew it to Baylor...i don't think it's gonna go well for them this week against the Cowboys.)
Texas vs. Baylor (This game honestly has me scared, no lie. Yes, Baylor's 0-7...but as their game against West Virginia showed...and the close losses they've had this year, they can compete with just about anybody in the country. They're gonna win a game this year, and the Kansas game for them is a guranteed W for them and for us. If we don't win this one, no bowl game for us this year again.)
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss (I know Shea's hurt...but i still think Ole Miss wins anyway. If they don't...other than UL Lafayette, is there another winnable game left?)
Virginia vs. Pittsburgh (After last week, i really don't know here.)
Cal vs. Colorado (Buffs have taken several steps back this year...Cal on the road.)
Air Force vs. Colorado State (Rams at home...and it's looking like their game against Boise is going to be lit.)
Georgia vs. Florida (Sorry, Gators, but Mark Richt ain't Georgia's coach anymore. There's a new sheriff in town in Athens.)
Indiana vs. Maryland (Another tossup pick.)
Penn State vs. Ohio State (Revenge game for last year, and it's at Columbus, and GameDay's there...i'll take Ohio State in this one. I will say, however, that if Penn State wins this game, i don't see another L left on the Nittany Lions' regular schedule.)
TCU vs. Iowa State (Sorry, Cyclones...as much as i want to pick y'all...i don't think y'all can do it against this TCU team.)
Michigan State vs. Northwestern (I have no faith in this MSU team with the way they've played...i think Northwestern beats them this week.)
UCLA vs. Washington (Huskies at home.)
NC State vs. Notre Dame (Another pretty good game this week...Irish at home against the Wolfpack.)
Houston vs. USF (Bulls at home...Houston ain't real good this season.)
Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina (Gamecocks have an 8-game win streak over Vanderbilt...it'll get extended to 9 this week, with how far down the crapper Vandy's going.)
Utah vs. Oregon (Fresh batch of who the hell knows?)
Minnesota vs. Iowa (Another tossup game...i'll take the Hawkeyes at home, rebounding from the Northwestern loss.)
UAB vs. Southern Miss (I was gonna take UAB...until they lost to Charlotte. Charlotte of all teams. I think Southern Miss wins this one.)
Mississippi State vs. Texas A&M (I...don't have faith in the Aggies. Like, none. Yes, their two losses are a blown 34-point lead to UCLA and they lost to Alabama by 8...but look at how they've performed in all of their other games. Had trouble with Nicholls, was trailing ULL at halftime, needed OT to beat a bad Arkansas team, was down 10 to South Carolina in the 3rd, and escaped Gainesville in a crapfest. I think Mississippi State will win in College Station, and show that Sumlin may not be so safe after all...)
Tennessee vs. Kentucky (This'll be the game that gets Butch fired...mark it down. Yes, Kentucky football has been known to disappoint in the past...they're not losing this one.)
Nebraska vs. Purdue (I know Purdue lost to Rutgers and Nebraska didn't...still taking them anyway.)
Georgia Tech vs. Clemson (Clemson rebounds from two weeks ago, and beats the Yellow Jackets at home.)
Washington State vs. Arizona (I like Khalil Tate. Arizona did have an offense before him, but Dawkins was awful. Now with Khalil Tate and now that it's been shown that USC is once again, impostors, i have faith in Arizona winning the Pac-12 South this year, TBH. Either them, or ASU...but that's rather unlikely.)
USC vs. Arizona State (USC should win this one...)

Old 10-26-2017, 08:20 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Washington State vs. Arizona (I like Khalil Tate. Arizona did have an offense before him, but Dawkins was awful. Now with Khalil Tate and now that it's been shown that USC is once again, impostors, i have faith in Arizona winning the Pac-12 South this year, TBH. Either them, or ASU...but that's rather unlikely.)
USC vs. Arizona State (USC should win this one...)
Hey, Tiger! Unless I missed it, that might be the very first time you've ever gushed over either of the Arizona FBS teams.

I guess we in Arizona are a bit more cautious, but I will say that Tate has been a pleasant surprise for everybody. If the Wildcats take down Wazzu, we may be more optimistic. ASU has also suddenly been packing some punch, but will they actually compete with USC? That remains to be seen.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:50 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Last week: 19-9
Overall: 119-57

Eastern Michigan vs. Northern Illinois. Huskies at home over EMU.
Florida State vs. Boston College. Southern Tiger is right, if Florida State loses this game they probably won't be eligible for a bowl game, and I like the Eagles at home. They are coming off 2 nice road wins @ Louisville and just waxed Virginia @ Virginia. Granted, Louisville is overrated, but that same team won last weekend @ Doak and BC hung on and won despite blowing a 2 touchdown 4th quarter lead. Give me the Eagles at home,
Tulane vs. (25) Memphis. Tigers continue their winning ways at the Liberty Bowl.
Tulsa vs. SMU. I'll take the Pony Express in Dallas.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 AM

32,452 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger
Washington State vs. Arizona (I like Khalil Tate. Arizona did have an offense before him, but Dawkins was awful. Now with Khalil Tate and now that it's been shown that USC is once again, impostors, i have faith in Arizona winning the Pac-12 South this year, TBH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Hey, Tiger! Unless I missed it, that might be the very first time you've ever gushed over either of the Arizona FBS teams.

I guess we in Arizona are a bit more cautious, but I will say that Tate has been a pleasant surprise for everybody. If the Wildcats take down Wazzu, we may be more optimistic. ASU has also suddenly been packing some punch, but will they actually compete with USC? That remains to be seen.
tiger, i hope you are right about arizona beating washington st. this game, like when arizona plays cal, is always a crap shoot.

as for arizona winning the south, probably not going to happen this year, since we still have to play USC and they are always a dangerous team to play.

as for dawkins, he is not a bad quarterback, just a bit too conservative, and lacking accuracy in passing. he a decent enough back up quarterback though. i too prefer tate, the kid is just so much fun to watch.

colt, i think you hit the nail on the head.

i think if arizona wins their next two games, then we can talk about them winning the south.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Last week: 19-9
Overall: 119-57

Eastern Michigan vs. Northern Illinois. Huskies at home over EMU.
Florida State vs. Boston College. Southern Tiger is right, if Florida State loses this game they probably won't be eligible for a bowl game, and I like the Eagles at home. They are coming off 2 nice road wins @ Louisville and just waxed Virginia @ Virginia. Granted, Louisville is overrated, but that same team won last weekend @ Doak and BC hung on and won despite blowing a 2 touchdown 4th quarter lead. Give me the Eagles at home,
Tulane vs. (25) Memphis. Tigers continue their winning ways at the Liberty Bowl.
Tulsa vs. SMU. I'll take the Pony Express in Dallas.
(10) Oklahoma State vs. (23) West Virginia. Pokes are the better team so even on the road in Morgantown they should win
Texas vs. Baylor. Horns by double digits over Baylor.
Arkansas vs. Ole Miss. Man Arkansas has been terrible.
Virginia vs. Pittsburgh. No idea here I'll take the Panthers at home.
Cal vs. Colorado. Buffs at home.
Air Force vs. Colorado State. Falcons take home the Ram-Falcon trophy for the next year.
(3) Georgia vs. Florida. I'm hoping Florida wins, but this team just is not good, and Georgia should slaughter them.
Indiana vs. Maryland. Terps at home.
(2) Penn State vs. (7) Ohio State. It turns out the Penn State game vs. Michigan was basically a bye for them, but Ohio State had a real bye, so that plus at home in the Horshoe coming off last seasons loss, Ohio State is the pick.
(4) TCU vs. (24) Iowa State. I've picked against them a lot and have kept losing, so why stop now??
(22) Michigan State vs. Northwestern. Sparty keeps wining, and makes last season look more and more like a fluke.
UCLA vs. (13) Washington. Jake Browning will devour this porous defense.
(15) NC State vs. (9) Notre Dame. ND will probably lose at Miami and or at Stanford later on in November to avoid another playoff controversy (well at least ND getting in without a conference affiliation would fast track a 6 or 8 team playoff though) but they'll beat the Wolfpack to stay alive in the playoff race.
Houston vs. (12) USF. Bulls continue to roll.
Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina. South Carolina at home.
Utah vs. Oregon. Utah hasn't been very good, Ducks at home.
Minnesota vs. Iowa. Iowa takes home that pig trophy. What's that thing called like the Floyd of Rosedale or something like that??
UAB vs. Southern Miss. Another rivalry game this week that So Miss wins.
Mississippi State vs. Texas A&M. I'd hate to say it and jinx it, but A&M hasn't gone in the late season swoon yet
Tennessee vs. Kentucky. How the hell did Butch Jones last longer than New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi?? Say goodnight to Butch after Tennessee loses this one.
Nebraska vs. Purdue. Who knows with this one??
Georgia Tech vs. (8) Clemson. Yikes! What a terrible Saturday night game!
(16) Washington State vs. Arizona. This will be my upset of the weekend. AZ with Tate is playing great ball, and I think they hand the Cougs another loss.
(17) USC vs. Arizona State. IF AZ State hadn't beaten Washington a couple of weeks ago I'd take AZ state here, but since the Sun Devils knocked off the Huskies, they opened everyone's eyes not to sleep on the Devils and with that said, that's why I'll pick the Trojans, but I wouldn't be totally surprised to see AZ State win.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 PM

Looks like FSU is going to be the biggest disappointment since the 2000 or 2001 Oregon State Beavers were predicted by SI to win the national championship and they failed to even qualify for a bowl game that season. Granted, the injury to Francois sucked, but good teams have a "next man up" mentality and they don't let an injury derail their season. Sure, they might be kaput from a conference & national title, but a bowl bid should still be attainable especially with how low of a standard the bar is now set for bowl qualification, especially for power 5 teams who are guaranteed 2 or 3 wins a season, and only have to win 1 or 2 games in conference to qualify for a bowl. The Noles have to win out just to qualify with a 6-6 record and with games still to come @ Clemson & @ Florida we can virtually eliminate them from that scenario. A 5-7 season could still be attainable, and depending how many bowl slots fail to fill they could be asked by a bowl for an invite with a 5-7 record but Syracuse could wind up beating them next week (and I'll probably pick them too if the games is on here) which would end that since they certainly aren't beating both Clemson & Florida, but I doubt they even take the invite at 5-7 and very well could decline a bowl invite if they do somehow win out and finish 6-6, so effectively their season is OVER.

So, I know this was a long paragraph to come to this question, but where does 2017 Florida State rank in the annals of all time biggest disappointment in college football??

Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 PM

1,130 posts, read 553,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Looks like FSU is going to be the biggest disappointment since the 2000 or 2001 Oregon State Beavers were predicted by SI to win the national championship and they failed to even qualify for a bowl game that season. Granted, the injury to Francois sucked, but good teams have a "next man up" mentality and they don't let an injury derail their season. Sure, they might be kaput from a conference & national title, but a bowl bid should still be attainable especially with how low of a standard the bar is now set for bowl qualification, especially for power 5 teams who are guaranteed 2 or 3 wins a season, and only have to win 1 or 2 games in conference to qualify for a bowl. The Noles have to win out just to qualify with a 6-6 record and with games still to come @ Clemson & @ Florida we can virtually eliminate them from that scenario. A 5-7 season could still be attainable, and depending how many bowl slots fail to fill they could be asked by a bowl for an invite with a 5-7 record but Syracuse could wind up beating them next week (and I'll probably pick them too if the games is on here) which would end that since they certainly aren't beating both Clemson & Florida, but I doubt they even take the invite at 5-7 and very well could decline a bowl invite if they do somehow win out and finish 6-6, so effectively their season is OVER.

So, I know this was a long paragraph to come to this question, but where does 2017 Florida State rank in the annals of all time biggest disappointment in college football??
FSU has won a championship very recently and is fine to rebuild. I wouldn't be surprised if they go to another CFP within the next 4 years. FSU fans are kind of spoiled. I lived in Tallahassee for about 13 years.

By contrast, Notre Dame in the midwest has not won a legitimate championship since the 1970s. Their 1988 championship was tainted by steroid abuse. So they haven't won the big one since the days of Joe Montana (LOL).

ND is on the uptick this year, but I know the campus well enough to point out that fans are "leery" after the horrendous loss against Alabama in Jan, 2013. ND could very well lose tomorrow or against Miami or Stanford and not make the CFP again.

FSU is down this year, but it's only temporary. I predict the Gators will annihilate them.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:06 PM

So, for those of you that want to expedite the 8 team playoff here's what you got to hope for rest of this year:

Georgia & Alabama both win out in the SEC. Unless Georgia gets totally demolished if both of them get to the SEC championship game undefeated, I think both will be in the playoff.
Notre Dame wins out. Wins over Miami, Stanford, & USC who would all be ranked at the time they played and likely end of the season would be enough on it's own to get them in, and than factor in wins over Michigan State & NC State, teams who maybe ranked either at the time they played or at the end of the season and the Irish are a shoein for the playoffs. So, we now have 3 of the 4 playoff teams: 2 would be from 1 conference, and the 3rd (Notre Dame) doesn't even have a conference affiliation. So now the other 4 power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12) are stuck with 1 playoff spot between them. THAT will be enough for them to band together for an 8 team playoff.
And for good measure we can throw in a 3rd: Ohio State & Oklahoma both win out. Even though Oklahoma would have won on the road by double figures @ Ohio State, Ohio State would likely be the 4th team in the playoffs, and I'm pretty certain that would NOT go over well in Big 12 land or Oklahoma especially, and likely wouldn't go over well with Penn State either who would've gotten screwed in the same scenario back-to-back years!

Old 10-28-2017, 01:52 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,965 times
I know it's early, but so far of what i've seen from Penn State...i think they're the real deal, and i think they're gonna challenge Alabama or Georgia in the playoffs. Or whoever else they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or