U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 10:28 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,636,772 times

Advertisements

No argument here. Georgia has defeated ND, which is a top 10 team now. Bama defeated FSU not even in the top 25 now.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm going to throw something out here that is likely going to have people throwing things my direction..

I think Georgia is ranked #1 by the CFP tomorrow.

They're going to look at strength of schedule, which Georgia has all over Alabama.

3 and 4 I don't know.. I'll take a guess here.. But I think they put Georgia as #1.

#1 - Georgia
#2 - Alabama
#3 - Notre Dame
#4 - Wisconsin

And.. Honestly.. #4 I could see Clemson there based on the quality wins they have.. I'm giving it to Wisconsin because they're undefeated. But.. I really want to go back and change it to Clemson.
I don't think your top 4 is far fetched at all - in fact I think there's a good chance this is how things come out.

Alabama has not played a true non-conference road game since 2009. Their win over Florida State continues to look weaker and weaker now that the Seminoles are 2-5. Teams should be forced to play actual road games outside of their conference, and not just neutral field games where half the crowd or more is cheering for them.

The thing about Wisconsin is their schedule - they haven't beaten a ranked opponent yet. Their non-conference schedule has been a joke. We'll see if they're for real when they play Michigan and Iowa back to back - but even then they may have to wait until the Big Ten title game to get a solid resume building win.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,763,882 times
because bama beats the crap out of 99% of who we play we dont play a strong enuff schedule .. it would not matter who we played ...games are scheduled years in advance .. who do you want us to beat in the regular season in 5 years ...

Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
because bama beats the crap out of 99% of who we play we dont play a strong enuff schedule .. it would not matter who we played ...games are scheduled years in advance .. who do you want us to beat in the regular season in 5 years ...
Well.. Clemson is just finishing up a home and away series against Auburn..

Before that, it was Georgia.

Before that, Auburn

Now.. Clemson is getting burned the next 2 years.. They've scheduled a one and one against Oregon. Back 3 years ago when the ink was drying on this.. It looked good. Not so much now.

Alabama.. They picked poorly this year.. Florida State. I mean, who woulda thunk that several years ago when they signed this? Plus, their division kinda stinks this year. And, for some reason, they win their division and get the #2 and #6 finishing teams from the East.. Which really bit them this year, because Tennessee and Vandy are just at the top of their games. Now.. All that happens. The problem is that Alabama fans are blind to recognizing it.

Alabama really hasn't shown anything this year. They're the 6th grader beating up all the 3rd graders.

Saban recognizes it. I'll give the man his due.. He's not an idiot.. That is why you had the 'rat poison' comments a few weeks ago. He's concerned about his team getting overconfident.

Get through Georgia.. Then i'll give them some credit. I will be very interested to see how they perform against Auburn, to be honest. I don't expect them to lose that game, I don't think Auburn is good enough to beat Alabama, but.. It's on the road..

LSU is ranked, but.. What the hell, man? LSU will take years to earn back any form of credibility after that loss to Troy.

Alabama also schedules 3 craptastic games a year. Clemson on the other hand.. They schedule 2 throwaway games and one that may or may not be.. Luck of the draw.. Normally South Carolina is a throwaway game.. But.. Every now and again they jump up.. Even this year, while they're not ranked, they don't look too bad. It might not be a marquee win, assuming they win, but it wouldn't be a crap win.

An Alabama-Georgia Tech game could revive a rivalry and provide a good quality game for Alabama in most years.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:12 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
I agree with Labonte I think Georgia will be #1 & Alabama will be #2 due to strength of schedule. But that's irrelevant because as long as both win out to the SEC championship game I believe both teams will be in the playoff. 3 and 4 is a bit complicated. I have a feeling the committee is going to reward schedule strength (which is why I think Georgia will be #1) and in that case that's why I will take Notre Dame at 3rd and Ohio State at 4th with Clemson (5) and Wisconsin (6) rounding out the top 6.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:49 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Quote:
I'm going to throw something out here that is likely going to have people throwing things my direction..

I think Georgia is ranked #1 by the CFP tomorrow.

They're going to look at strength of schedule, which Georgia has all over Alabama.

3 and 4 I don't know.. I'll take a guess here.. But I think they put Georgia as #1.

#1 - Georgia
#2 - Alabama
#3 - Notre Dame
#4 - Wisconsin

And.. Honestly.. #4 I could see Clemson there based on the quality wins they have.. I'm giving it to Wisconsin because they're undefeated. But.. I really want to go back and change it to Clemson.
I'd still keep Bama as No. 1. People can complain all they want about the competition they're playing against, but the fact of the matter is that Saban is able to get his players motivated to stomp out that competition week after week. We don't see too many surprise Alabama losses. Bama has been so dominant for so long that they deserve every benefit of the doubt.

In theory, ND shouldn't be ahead of Clemson or Ohio State. It's possible that favorable institutional bias could get them into the Top 4, however. Here are my Top 4.

Alabama - Undefeated. Obvious.

Georgia - Undefeated. Signature win over ND. Obvious.

Ohio State - Signature win over PSU. Media/institutional bias will work in their favor. "Better" loss than Clemson.

Clemson - Probably the best resume of the Top 4. Defending champs bias. QB was injured in Cuse loss.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:01 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd still keep Bama as No. 1. People can complain all they want about the competition they're playing against, but the fact of the matter is that Saban is able to get his players motivated to stomp out that competition week after week. We don't see too many surprise Alabama losses. Bama has been so dominant for so long that they deserve every benefit of the doubt.

In theory, ND shouldn't be ahead of Clemson or Ohio State. It's possible that favorable institutional bias could get them into the Top 4, however. Here are my Top 4.

Alabama - Undefeated. Obvious.

Georgia - Undefeated. Signature win over ND. Obvious.

Ohio State - Signature win over PSU. Media/institutional bias will work in their favor. "Better" loss than Clemson.

Clemson - Probably the best resume of the Top 4. Defending champs bias. QB was injured in Cuse loss.
Ohio State I can't rank that high.. Great win over PSU, but that loss to Oklahoma and nothing else on their resume. Oklahoma is a top 10 team, but..

Clemson's on the bubble.. Yes, I agree, the loss to Syracuse was on the road, lost their starting QB, but.. They haven't looked great offensively in other games. Defense has looked real good.. Of course, I was saying alot of the same things about them last year, so.. They do have the best resume of any team in the top 10 totally agree with you there.

Wisconsin.. As I said, I gave it to them for being undefeated, but they have a worse resume than Alabama.

Notre Dame lost to the #2 team (possibly #1) by 1 point and has quality wins over NC State and USC. Perhaps not signature wins, but quality wins. That Stanford game looms large tho. ND always seems to stumble. And I don't think Miami will be a stumbling block for them.

Miami.. no chance. They're winning by the skin of their teeth, and not looking good doing it.

But.. Out of these teams.. two of them have to go in.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Not really surprising: As both Labonte and myself predicted Georgia would be #1, Alabama would be #2 and Notre Dame would be #3 which was just the case. Clemson came in at #4, Oklahoma at #5 and Ohio State at #6. Not really surprising as the Penn State and Wisconsin schedules suck. I thought even with the head-to-head victory over Ohio State, the Buckeyes would jump in front of OU at least for this week based on the fact of beating Penn State while the Sooners have yet to play TCU or Oklahoma State yet.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:01 AM

23,303 posts, read 11,544,319 times
Quote:
Well.. Clemson is just finishing up a home and away series against Auburn..

Before that, it was Georgia.

Before that, Auburn

Now.. Clemson is getting burned the next 2 years.. They've scheduled a one and one against Oregon. Back 3 years ago when the ink was drying on this.. It looked good. Not so much now.

Alabama.. They picked poorly this year.. Florida State. I mean, who woulda thunk that several years ago when they signed this? Plus, their division kinda stinks this year. And, for some reason, they win their division and get the #2 and #6 finishing teams from the East.. Which really bit them this year, because Tennessee and Vandy are just at the top of their games. Now.. All that happens. The problem is that Alabama fans are blind to recognizing it.

Alabama really hasn't shown anything this year. They're the 6th grader beating up all the 3rd graders.

Saban recognizes it. I'll give the man his due.. He's not an idiot.. That is why you had the 'rat poison' comments a few weeks ago. He's concerned about his team getting overconfident.

Get through Georgia.. Then i'll give them some credit. I will be very interested to see how they perform against Auburn, to be honest. I don't expect them to lose that game, I don't think Auburn is good enough to beat Alabama, but.. It's on the road..

LSU is ranked, but.. What the hell, man? LSU will take years to earn back any form of credibility after that loss to Troy.

Alabama also schedules 3 craptastic games a year. Clemson on the other hand.. They schedule 2 throwaway games and one that may or may not be.. Luck of the draw.. Normally South Carolina is a throwaway game.. But.. Every now and again they jump up.. Even this year, while they're not ranked, they don't look too bad. It might not be a marquee win, assuming they win, but it wouldn't be a crap win.

An Alabama-Georgia Tech game could revive a rivalry and provide a good quality game for Alabama in most years.

So much wrong with this post.

First off, Florida State was Preseason #3. The fact that they have lost 5 games has a lot to do with losing their starting QB in the Alabama game.

Second. Clemson playing South Carolina every year does provide for a quality match up and yes, a game they can indeed lose, but in the context of your post, its a flawed argument. they are rivals for 100 years. There is no evidence Clemson would play a random Power 5 team every year if they were forced to end that rivalry.

Third, Conference games pretty much work the same way on a rotating basis in every conference. The SEC does however have cross divisional permanent games.

Alabama and Tennessee are rivals, like Clemson and South Carolina. They play every year no matter what.

And no, Alabama does not get the #2 and #6 teams from the East(there would be no way to predict that).

Troy almost beat Clemson last year, so it makes no sense to make fun off LSU.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:09 AM

3,792 posts, read 6,527,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So much wrong with this post.

First off, Florida State was Preseason #3. The fact that they have lost 5 games has a lot to do with losing their starting QB in the Alabama game.

Second. Clemson playing South Carolina every year does provide for a quality match up and yes, a game they can indeed lose, but in the context of your post, its a flawed argument. they are rivals for 100 years. There is no evidence Clemson would play a random Power 5 team every year if they were forced to end that rivalry.

Third, Conference games pretty much work the same way on a rotating basis in every conference. The SEC does however have cross divisional permanent games.

Alabama and Tennessee are rivals, like Clemson and South Carolina. They play every year no matter what.

And no, Alabama does not get the #2 and #6 teams from the East(there would be no way to predict that).

Troy almost beat Clemson last year, so it makes no sense to make fun off LSU.
And hell Clemson struggled with Auburn also. Georgia's SOS is no tougher than Alabama's. ND is basically on par with FS with their starting Qb. There is a lot of ifs and maybes but if Florida would not have played Alabama in the season opener or lost their starting qb. Their record would be much better right now. As I've said before,the Alabama team that play in the first game is never the same team that play in the mid or end of the conference season.

Last edited by PortCity; 11-01-2017 at 05:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or