U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,973,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
(8) Penn State vs. Michigan State.
(18) Auburn vs. Texas A&M. I praised A&M last week for not having the annual late season swoon and guess what happens?? They get embarrassed at home! Auburn will embarrass them in College Station once again as the Sumlin seat ignites in flames.
maybe it is time for A&M to go find some other minor league conference to cry in. They will never be good enough for the SEC, and since they like to play teams like New Mexico, Louisiana Lafayette and Nichols State, then maybe they would be better served in the Mountain West or Sunbelt Conference?

Old 11-05-2017, 05:10 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,191 times
15-12 on picks this week. Here's my Top 25.

#1: Alabama (9-0)
#2: Georgia (9-0)
#3: Notre Dame (8-1) +2
#4: Wisconsin (9-0)
#5: Miami (8-0) +2
#6: Clemson (8-1)
#7: Oklahoma (8-1) +3
#8: Washington (8-1) +3
#9: TCU (8-1) +3
#10: USC (8-2) +5
#11: UCF (8-0) +6
#12: Auburn (7-2) +6
#13: Ohio State (7-2) -10
#14: Penn State (7-2) -6
#15: Oklahoma State (7-2) -6
#16: Memphis (8-1) +4
#17: USF (8-1) +4
#18: Michigan State (7-2) NEW
#19: Washington State (8-2) +5
#20: Virginia Tech (7-2) -7
#21: Mississippi State (7-2) +4
#22: LSU (6-3) -6
#23: Michigan (7-2) NEW
#24: Iowa State (6-3) -10
#25: Toledo (8-1) NEW

Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM

32,452 posts, read 26,317,069 times
considering that it was 21-6 at the half, arizona did well in the second half of the USC game. final score USC 49 AZ 35.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:15 PM

23,290 posts, read 11,533,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So let's take a quick run through the playoffs which I'll try to do every Saturday:

ACC: The winner of Miami/Va Tech is still in it, though Miami is in much better shape and they'll still have quality upcoming games: Notre Dame, and than Clemson in the ACC title game, while Va Tech would just get Clemson in the ACC title game if they win. And Clemson is still in it as well. Unless Virginia Tech beats Miami tonight and Clemson loses to South Carolina and than Va Tech loses to Clemson in the ACC title game (or Miami beats Va Tech, & loses to ND next week and beats Clemson in the ACC championship game), I believe the ACC will get 1 entrant into the playoff; the ACC title game winner between Virginia Tech/Miami/and Clemson

Big 12: Since I can't see TCU beating Oklahoma in Norman, the conference would be better off with OU winning out including a rematch with TCU or OK State in the Big 12 title game. TBD whether the conference gets a playoff team. The winner of TCU/Oklahoma regular season game will get in assuming OU holds on to beat OK State (currently up 3 just starting the 4th) and than wins the rematch in the Big 12 championship game.

Big 10: Ohio State & Penn State are both all but officially out, so the conference rests on Wisconsin, who's incredibly bad SOS may send Wiscy to the Rose bowl anyways, but I have to believe if Wisconsin wins the Big 10 championship they'd be in. Any other team (Ohio State, Michigan State) wins the big 10 championship and say goodnight to the Big 10 in the playoff.

Pac 12: Like the Big 10, the Pac 12 playoff hopes rest on 1 team: Washington. They win their remaining 4 games, and whoever comes out of the South in the Championship, and they may be in it. However, even that may not be enough as they'd likely be behind a lot of potential 1 loss teams (Virginia Tech, Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and possibly even Miami & Wisconsin should those 2 suffer a loss in season).

SEC: Looking good to get both Georgia & Alabama in the playoff, though don't sleep on Auburn. Should they beat both Georgia & Alabama in the regular season (I believe they play both at home too), and than Georgia again in the SEC title game what do you do with Auburn in that case?? They'd have 2 losses, but they would have won the SEC, tied for the SEC West, and gone 3-0 against Alabama & Georgia teams ranked #1 & #2. I assume IF this scenario happens Auburn would be the SEC team in the playoff, but the million dollar question is do you take a second SEC team?? if you do, who gets the nod between the Georgia & Alabama?? They both would have won/tied for a division, lost to the same team, and have virtually identical records which Georgia getting the extra game of the conference title game. They wouldn't have played in season so head-to-head is out the window. Georgia would have had the best win of the 2, and that might be enough. If you don't take a second SEC team, which other team gets that 4th spot.

Other: Notre Dame. Their season rest on 2 games: @ Miami next weekend, @ Stanford Thanksgiving weekend. Win those 2 games and they are in the playoff no matter what happens elsewhere in the other 5 conferences. Lose 1 or both of those games and out of the playoff they go.
Wisconsin going undefeated is not going to be enough

Wisconsin is going to have to play #25 Iowa and maybe top 10 Michigan State/Ohio State/Penn State and possibly Michigan

In a 4 way tie, it is possible a 9-3 Michigan State is in the low 20's

Miami still has to play #3 Notre Dame and #4 Clemson

Oklahoma may get a top 10 TCU twice

Clemson will get a top 10 Miami team unless there is another upset.

Georgia will get a top 10 Auburn(twice if they beat Alabama) or a top 10 Alabama

Alabama will get a #19 Mississippi State and a top 25 Auburn

Even Washington could jump ahead of them. playing USC in the title game as well as a ranked Stanford and Wash State.

The Big 10 no matter who wins, will need help.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:59 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
maybe it is time for A&M to go find some other minor league conference to cry in. They will never be good enough for the SEC, and since they like to play teams like New Mexico, Louisiana Lafayette and Nichols State, then maybe they would be better served in the Mountain West or Sunbelt Conference?
Woudla-coulda-shoulda.. I saw someone on Youtube talk about South Carolina if they had never left the ACC back in the day and gone independent and they made a very good point. They probably would have several ACC championships under their belt and might be a power program..

Going independent and then joining the SEC in.. When was that? Late 80's?.. They said set the program back 20 years.. I'd say it set it back more than that.. Had they been able to keep up with the building that Spurrier did.. But, to do that, they would have needed Spurrier to stay and recruits knew he wasn't long for the Head Coaching job. They bought themselves 4 good years for however many millions they paid him. And then they replaced him with.. That..

Old 11-06-2017, 05:35 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Woudla-coulda-shoulda.. I saw someone on Youtube talk about South Carolina if they had never left the ACC back in the day and gone independent and they made a very good point. They probably would have several ACC championships under their belt and might be a power program..

Going independent and then joining the SEC in.. When was that? Late 80's?.. They said set the program back 20 years.. I'd say it set it back more than that.. Had they been able to keep up with the building that Spurrier did.. But, to do that, they would have needed Spurrier to stay and recruits knew he wasn't long for the Head Coaching job. They bought themselves 4 good years for however many millions they paid him. And then they replaced him with.. That..

South Carolina is on this list... I think they made a good decision being in the SEC. Same with A&M.

The 25 schools that make the most money in college sports - Business Insider

Old 11-06-2017, 07:15 PM

10,024 posts, read 9,333,229 times
Go Dawgs!!!!!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,761,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Go Dawgs!!!!!
i actually do hope you beat cowburn this weekend .. but you wont beat BAMA ...

Old 11-07-2017, 09:59 AM

28,258 posts, read 26,231,676 times
There doesn't seem to be a really good team in CFB this season. Last season, I thought Clemson would be the team to take it all because they had so many weapons on offense and a good defense to boot, but I don't see any team like that this season. There's no team where I'm like "Wow. Alabama needs to watch out." I could see Alabama handily beating any team in the country.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 AM

28,258 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i actually do hope you beat cowburn this weekend .. but you wont beat BAMA ...
Unfortunately, I don't see Georgia beating Alabama either. To beat Bama, imo, you need a very good passing attack and/or a good dual threat QB. Georgia doesn't have either of those things. Fromm is a freshman who only averages 162 yards through the air per game. Chad Kelly averaged 310 yards per game. Deshaun Watson averaged 306 passing yards. While Cardale Jones was nowhere close to being as prolific a passer as those guys, he was also built like a LB and could and did run over Bama's secondary like a Mack truck.

Georgia won't be able to out Bama Bama. Bama will shut their running game down and force their freshman QB into a couple of turnovers at minimum. I don't see that game playing out much differently from the Washington-Bama game last year.

I see the same thing happening to Notre Dame. Look at what Alabama's defense did to Deshaun Watson in the first half of last year's championship game. Watson is a special player. Brandon Wimbush is not. Bama will shut ND's running attack down and grind them down with their own run game.

Clemson looked like a strong team at the beginning of the season, but their play has been questionable over the last few weeks. Without the passing attack they had last year, I can't see them beating Bama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or