U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 10:58 AM

929 posts, read 296,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If Auburn wins out, that means Alabama doesn't play for the SEC Championship.

That's where Alabama's schedule could be trouble.

Right now, my eyes, they have one quality win.. Yesterday over Mississippi State. You can't count that win against FSU and LSU.. kinda bizarre to me that they're ranked.

A case could be made.. Clemson wins out.. Oklahoma wins out, Auburn wins out and Wisconsin wins out.

Who's in?

I would guess in that case Wisconsin would be left out. They will be in the same boat as Alabama with few quality wins.

I think Wisconsin has no margin for error, but will get in if they finish undefeated. Beating Michigan and then either Ohio St or Penn St will do it and leapfrog them over Oklahoma. I can see Oklahoma being ahead of Wisconsin come Tuesday, but Oklahoma being the one that ultimately needs help else where. If Bama loses to Auburn (or perhaps even beats Auburn but loses to Georgia) a scenario could exist where a good argument can be made to leave out Alabama. This shouldn't involve a history lesson of what has happened in the past, or because Alabama was highly ranked at the beginning of the year and they haven't lost, you can't leap frog other teams ahead of them. However the mindsets are so entrenched, I doubt Alabama gets left out even with one loss, so long as its close. If they get blown out next week to Auburn, then it could be more dicey for Alabama. Same rationale when it comes to Miami being ranked ahead of Alabama. I don't care how far off the radar Miami once was, the pollsters should consider ranking Miami #1, but they won't.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:14 AM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's my thinking right now.

I'd put Georgia at No. 6 behind Wisconsin. Even though they suffered a bad loss, I don't see them tumbling too far from the top. I could see ND ending up around the No. 8-9.

That's how I ultimately put it when it comes to Georgia and Wisconsin. I decided to make it...
1. Miami (tough call, because you can't lose sight of the whole season, and Miami had a lot of dicey wins against bad/average teams)
2. Alabama (maybe the best, but why do they get different treatment from say, Wisconsin if this isn't a history lesson?)
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma
5. Wisconsin
6. Georgia
7. Auburn

After that, I don't care. I think you can argue #3 thru #6 in any order you want (I could almost flip-flop Clemson and Georgia, and god only knows, Clemson hasn't been enamoring me for a long while- but I still have to take the whole season in account)
Ultimately the three teams though that are after Oklahoma, will all leap frog the Sooners if they win out. So Oklahoma I think is still in a not-so-good predicament. Clemson and Wisconsin are in if they win out. I think the only realistic way it becomes a tough call as to who to leave out among 5 teams, would be Miami losing a close game to Clemson; not unrealistic now to maybe see Miami being able to absorb a loss. Perhaps if they even lose to UVA or Pitt, but soundly beat Clemson, they may still be in. And then if Bama loses along the way, might they become a second SEC participant? But even so, it will be at the expense of Oklahoma. I don't see there being both two SEC and ACC teams, with Wisconsin being snubbed, if the Badgers win out.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:00 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,963 times
The top 4 teams in AP and coaches poll will/should remain with it being #1 - Alabama, #2 - Miami (FL), #3 - Oklahoma, #4 - Clemson.

Wisconsin should be #5 given they're 10-0.

Looks like this year it will be the Pac-12's turn to be left out of the playoff.

As an aside, atrocious play calling by Mississippi State in the 4th quarter.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:51 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
Miami’s strength of record, formulated by ESPN, ranks best in the country.

https://www.diehards.com/miami/miami...anked-no-1/amp

Old 11-12-2017, 10:36 PM

1,130 posts, read 553,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The top 4 teams in AP and coaches poll will/should remain with it being #1 - Alabama, #2 - Miami (FL), #3 - Oklahoma, #4 - Clemson.

Wisconsin should be #5 given they're 10-0.

Looks like this year it will be the Pac-12's turn to be left out of the playoff.

As an aside, atrocious play calling by Mississippi State in the 4th quarter.
I saw that. The Bulldogs tripped themselves on those play calls. They had Alabama on the ropes.
But I think it gives Auburn a blueprint (hint).

Your poll is accurate for this week. Who knows what will happen next weekend. Meanwhile, the
Iron Bowl has become relevant again.

Personally, I would find it awesome to see the REAL 80s rivalry come back to life in the CFP - Miami vs Oklahoma. For much of his book, Brian Bosworth (a linebacker who played in those great OU-Miami 80s games), made it clear Miami was the rival for them (and many other teams at that time). That 80s
rivalry between Notre Dame and Miami was actually one-sided. Miami usually won at the Orange Bowl (like last night). But OU-Miami was at another level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qUakS5BG2M

Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Miamiís strength of record, formulated by ESPN, ranks best in the country.

https://www.diehards.com/miami/miami...anked-no-1/amp
I saw that a few weeks ago and Miami was #1 then.. What, exactly, is the calculation for SOR?

I mean, they have.. I'll call it 2 and a half quality wins with one of them being a 'signature' win.. ND obviously being that signature.. The VT win being quality and i'll give a half credit for the win over FSU in Tallahassee, simply because.. Yeah, FSU sucks this year, but that's a rivalry game. Usually doesn't matter who is good and bad in those.

Clemson has 2 games upcoming that are revenge games.. First, the game against Miami.. Remember 2015 where Clemson destroyed them 58-0.. There's players on that Miami team that went through that.. They're going to remember it.

Same with South Carolina in 2 weeks.. Lost 4 in a row to Clemson and 56-7 last year AND this one is in Columbia.

Both of those games I can see being a 14-13 game or similar.. Very low scoring. Carolina, especially, doesn't have much of an offense, but their defense is decent. Miami is very similar to Clemson.. Very good defense and the offense is kind of.. Streaky. They have the ability to put up alot of points at times, but most times, they're doing just enough to win.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:59 AM

578 posts, read 372,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I saw that. The Bulldogs tripped themselves on those play calls. They had Alabama on the ropes.
But I think it gives Auburn a blueprint (hint).

Your poll is accurate for this week. Who knows what will happen next weekend. Meanwhile, the
Iron Bowl has become relevant again.

Personally, I would find it awesome to see the REAL 80s rivalry come back to life in the CFP - Miami vs Oklahoma. For much of his book, Brian Bosworth (a linebacker who played in those great OU-Miami 80s games), made it clear Miami was the rival for them (and many other teams at that time). That 80s
rivalry between Notre Dame and Miami was actually one-sided. Miami usually won at the Orange Bowl (like last night). But OU-Miami was at another level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qUakS5BG2M
Yep, MSU punting on 4th and 2 in the 4th was the key moment.
After that all Tide.

The blueprint is play slow and limit touches by Hurts and co.
Normally against Alabama that would be a fatal move since Saban prefers situational football but with their D so depleted, it might be the best option.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
https://frntofficesport.com/its-all-...n-260aa41ad811

• ESPN’s first-ever College GameDay Built by The Home Depot from the campus of the University of Miami drew a 1.5 overnight, the show’s highest-rating of the season.
  • Miami, Fla., was the №1 local market, earning a 15.6 rating. The rating is the market’s second highest on record for a regular season game on ESPN’s networks.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,667,706 times
If Wisconsin wins out, they'll have beaten 3 ranked teams in the last 4 weeks of their schedule, and will be the undefeated champions of a Power 5 conference. I don't see them being left out. 3 more wins, preferably in convincing fashion, and they're in.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:54 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
If Wisconsin wins out, they'll have beaten 3 ranked teams in the last 4 weeks of their schedule, and will be the undefeated champions of a Power 5 conference. I don't see them being left out. 3 more wins, preferably in convincing fashion, and they're in.
There's no way a 13-0, Big Ten champion Wisconsin would be left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or