U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
There's no way a 13-0, Big Ten champion Wisconsin would be left out.

Fine.. You say that.. But.. Let's say we have an 11-1 Alabama (Loses to Auburn, doesn't play in the SEC Championship).. and a 12-1 Georgia.. Beats Auburn in SEC Championship. Or you can flip this.. Auburn beats Alabama, then beats Georgia in the SEC Championship, so they're 11-2, SEC Champions and a head to head over Alabama.

Either a 12-1 Clemson or 13-0 Miami

And a 12-1 Oklahoma

And the 13-0 Wisconsin

who do you leave out? You've got 5 teams for 4 spots.

This is the perfect storm brewing. If things go this way.. There's going to be trouble. Because someone WILL be left out.

Personally, I think Alabama is on the outside in this scenario, which of course means there'll be trouble. But.. I think if you take all the other teams.. Alabama doesn't have the resume THIS YEAR to overcome that late season loss to Auburn.

And then.. what's the rankings?

That one where Auburn beats Alabama and then beats Georgia is the tough one. Auburn's a 2 loss team, but a H2H over Alabama.. I don't see how you can put Alabama in and leave Auburn out in that case.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 PM

23,290 posts, read 11,528,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Fine.. You say that.. But.. Let's say we have an 11-1 Alabama (Loses to Auburn, doesn't play in the SEC Championship).. and a 12-1 Georgia.. Beats Auburn in SEC Championship. Or you can flip this.. Auburn beats Alabama, then beats Georgia in the SEC Championship, so they're 11-2, SEC Champions and a head to head over Alabama.

And a 12-1 Oklahoma

And the 13-0 Wisconsin

This is the perfect storm brewing. If things go this way.. There's going to be trouble. Because someone WILL be left out.

Personally, I think Alabama is on the outside in this scenario, which of course means there'll be trouble. But.. I think if you take all the other teams.. Alabama doesn't have the resume THIS YEAR to overcome that late season loss to Auburn.

That one where Auburn beats Alabama and then beats Georgia is the tough one. Auburn's a 2 loss team, but a H2H over Alabama.. I don't see how you can put Alabama in and leave Auburn out in that case.
Wisconsin's worst nightmare is a

12-0 Bama losing to a 12-1 Georgia and everyone else running the table as planned.

12-1 Clemson ,12-1 Miami, 12-1 Oklahoma

All 5 of those teams are at least 20 SOS spots ahead of Wisconsin, and if there were no upsets , all would have triple the top 25 wins that Wisconsin has at the end of the season (3 wins to 1)

It is hard to see Wisconsin getting in unless there are some major upsets.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:34 AM

447 posts, read 471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Wisconsin's worst nightmare is a

12-0 Bama losing to a 12-1 Georgia and everyone else running the table as planned.

12-1 Clemson ,12-1 Miami, 12-1 Oklahoma

All 5 of those teams are at least 20 SOS spots ahead of Wisconsin, and if there were no upsets , all would have triple the top 25 wins that Wisconsin has at the end of the season (3 wins to 1)

It is hard to see Wisconsin getting in unless there are some major upsets.

Unless the committee decides that this is the year that conference championships are the tie breaker (which, btw, would be consistent with much of what they've said in the past). In that scenario, Bama stays home...

Old 11-14-2017, 09:24 AM

28,249 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Interesting how last year we were all saying that the Playoff should not be expanded beyond 4 teams given the results of the semi-final games. That made sense then because the Top 2 teams were so much better than the rest of the field. It's a different story this year where there really isn't that much separation among teams. Now an 8 team playoff seems like a good idea.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:22 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
Sorry for being late...time for Week 12 picks. Here are the games for this week.

Ohio vs. Akron
Western Michigan vs. Northern Illinois
Mid Tenn State vs. Western Kentucky
Rutgers vs. Indiana
Virginia vs. (2) Miami
Texas vs. (23) West Virginia
SMU vs. (13) Memphis
Minnesota vs. Northwestern
(18) TCU vs. Texas Tech
(21) Michigan vs. (4) Wisconsin
Fresno State vs. Wyoming
Kentucky vs. (8) Georgia
Kansas State vs. (12) Oklahoma State
Navy vs. (15) Notre Dame
Georgia Tech vs. Duke
UAB vs. Florida
Texas A&M vs. Ole Miss
(20) LSU vs. Tennessee
Arizona vs. Oregon
NC State vs. Wake Forest
Missouri vs. Vanderbilt
Cal vs. (19) Stanford
UCLA vs. (7) USC
Utah vs. (16) Washington

Pick Overall Record: 182-91
Pick Record Last Week: 17-8

Here are my picks.
Ohio vs. Akron (Ohio on the road big coming off of a blowout of Toledo.)
Western Michigan vs. Northern Illinois (Huskies at home.)
Mid Tenn State vs. Western Kentucky (Tossup pick.)
Rutgers vs. Indiana (Rutgers has improved a ton this year...don't see them getting the win here, though.)
Virginia vs. Miami (Miami big time. Virginia has a snowball's chance in hell of winning this game.)
Texas vs. West Virginia (Texas' O-line is pathetic...Mountaineers should make quick work of us.)
SMU vs. Memphis (I'll take Memphis in a shootout.)
Minnesota vs. Northwestern (Northwestern in your typical B1G defensive struggle.)
TCU vs. Texas Tech (I think the Horned Frogs bounce back from the Oklahoma game...)
Michigan vs. Wisconsin (I'll take the Badgers at home...still not that impressed with Michigan.)
Fresno State vs. Wyoming (Don't know who to go with, so this is just a guess.)
Kentucky vs. Georgia (Georgia will bounce back from the Auburn embarrassment.)
Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State (Okie State at home.)
Navy vs. Notre Dame (I'll take Notre Dame...while Navy has never been easy for them to beat, i don't see them losing two in a row.)
Georgia Tech vs. Duke (Another tossup pick.)
UAB vs. Florida (Yes. I'm serious with this...Florida is bad.)
Texas A&M vs. Ole Miss (Who even knows with this one...yes, A&M won big last week, but it was New Mexico. So who knows what will happen when they're back in conference play...)
LSU vs. Tennessee (LSU should win big...)
Arizona vs. Oregon (Still running with Arizona here.)
NC State vs. Wake Forest (Wolfpack should win.)
Missouri vs. Vanderbilt (Mizzou will finish 7-5, i guarantee it...plus, Vandy's not very good.)
Cal vs. Stanford (Stanford has dominated Cal this decade, and i don't see it stopping anytime soon.)
UCLA vs. USC (This is most likely the game that gets Mora fired. Strangely enough, UCLA has not lost a single game at home - all 5 of their losses were road games.)
Utah vs. Washington (Utah ain't real good this year...Washington should bounce back from the Stanford game.)

Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

And a 12-1 Oklahoma

And the 13-0 Wisconsin

I personally want as much chaos as possible over the next 3 weeks to cause controversies and cries for playoff expansion. They need to expand the playoffs to 8 teams and guarantee a playoff spot for the conference champion of the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12. The committee also needs to specify stricter scheduling requirements - Power 5 schools must play a 9 game conference schedule, not be able to schedule an FCS team and must play at least 5 true road games, of which 1 must be a true non-conference road game. It's ridiculous you have a team like Alabama that has not played a true non-conference road game since 2009, when schools like Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State and Okalahoma are scheduling home-and-homes with other Power 5 conference schools.

Even if Bama were to go 11-1 (lose to Auburn and miss SEC title game) or go 12-1 (lose to Georgia in SEC title game) I still believe a 13-0 Wisconsin team would/should get in over them. They would be undefeated and a Power 5 conference champion. Otherwise, it diminishes the importance of winning your conference. We already saw that happen last year with Penn State and Ohio state - only difference is that Penn State was 11-2 after they won the Big Tenn. Wisconsin would be 13-0 should they run the table.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Interesting how last year we were all saying that the Playoff should not be expanded beyond 4 teams given the results of the semi-final games. That made sense then because the Top 2 teams were so much better than the rest of the field. It's a different story this year where there really isn't that much separation among teams. Now an 8 team playoff seems like a good idea.
A fair point. You'll have some stinker years with either 4 or 8 teams.

that being said.. Washington I don't feel was embarrassed by Alabama. They certainly didn't play well, the outcome of the game was really never in doubt.. But.. They didn't have anything to be ashamed of. Ohio State, on the other hand..

4 teams seems too few, 8 too many.. Maybe 6 teams where the first and second seeds get a bye? 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5, then #1 plays the lowest remaining and #2 plays the highest?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
4 teams was never going to be good enough - this means a Power 5 conference champion gets left out. Heck if Notre Dame had beaten Miami and ran the table it would mean 2 Power 5 conference champions get left out.

It doesn't matter if there's a blowout with an 8 team playoff - you would be giving more teams a shot to win a title. Essentially every year a team that is not a part of a Power 5 conference has zero shot of winning a national title because even if they they go 12-0 or 13-0 they will never be able to play for it. A school like UCF that could very well go 13-0 should have a shot to pay for a title.

If people have an issue of a potential blowout in the football playoffs, why then should we even have as many teams in the men's basketball tournament? A 16 seed has never beat a 1 seed. In the last 32 years a 15 seed has only beaten a 2 seed a total of 8 times or a whopping 7% of the time. A 14 seed has beaten a 3 seed 18 times, or 16% of the time. Combined over the 32 years a 16, 15, or 14 seed has won only 8% of the time.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:10 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Ohio tonight. After the win over Toledo, they proved themselves as the top team in the MAC. Rest & totals later.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM

23,290 posts, read 11,528,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Unless the committee decides that this is the year that conference championships are the tie breaker (which, btw, would be consistent with much of what they've said in the past).
If no upsets had happened starting with week 8, the final polls would have likely been

1. Georgia 13-0
2. Clemson 12-1
3. Alabama 12-1
4. Notre Dame/ Miami 11-1/12-1
6. 12-1 Oklahoma

the committee set precedence by having Wisconsin so low. Even in 2014, Florida State was 13-0 and ranked #3. And in 2016, they took Ohio State over Penn State even though PSU beat Ohio State head to head and was the big 10 champ.

The Committee has made it clear that they care more about who they believe the better team is rather than record.

Quote:
In that scenario, Bama stays home...
This isnt about Bama, this is about Wisconsin, who even if Bama sits home, is still going to be behind a 12-1 Oklahoma, 13-0 Miami or even a 12-1 Clemson. I think even an 11-2 Auburn would be ahead of them, that or a 12-1 UGA, 13-0 Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or