U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times
Reputation: 4317

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I personally want as much chaos as possible over the next 3 weeks to cause controversies and cries for playoff expansion. They need to expand the playoffs to 8 teams and guarantee a playoff spot for the conference champion of the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12. The committee also needs to specify stricter scheduling requirements - Power 5 schools must play a 9 game conference schedule, not be able to schedule an FCS team and must play at least 5 true road games, of which 1 must be a true non-conference road game. It's ridiculous you have a team like Alabama that has not played a true non-conference road game since 2009, when schools like Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State and Okalahoma are scheduling home-and-homes with other Power 5 conference schools.

1. Alabama played @ Duke in 2010 and @#23 Penn State in 2011(it was a home and away)

2. Non conference road games are overrated, at least in the context of the argument you are making

Alabama since 2009 has played

Va Tech(2x), Michigan, Wisconsin, USC, Penn State, West Virginia , Florida state.

None of these schools were diminished by playing Neutral site games in Atlanta, Arlington or Orlando . All of those schools have large fan bases and can equal Alabama in the stands.


Quote:
Even if Bama were to go 11-1 (lose to Auburn and miss SEC title game) or go 12-1 (lose to Georgia in SEC title game) I still believe a 13-0 Wisconsin team would/should get in over them. They would be undefeated and a Power 5 conference champion. Otherwise, it diminishes the importance of winning your conference. We already saw that happen last year with Penn State and Ohio state - only difference is that Penn State was 11-2 after they won the Big Tenn. Wisconsin would be 13-0 should they run the table.
To many, last year shows that the Big 10 isnt as great as many thought. To put that into perspective , there are 5 Power 5 champions. 1 is going to get left out regardless, why does going undefeated make one better than the other if the champs themselves didnt play each other ???

can you ever argue that Wisconsin is better than Clemson, USC, Alabama and Oklahoma(assuming those 4 win out) ????

This is why we need a 16 team playoff similar to the NCAA tourney and simply have rules set up.

let the Power 5 all have automatic bids as long as they finish in the top 16, any team in the top 4 regardless of championship status gets in .

 
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 PM
 
32,475 posts, read 26,356,312 times
Reputation: 19121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Arizona vs. Oregon (Still running with Arizona here.)
that is kind of an easy pick, next week though will be the tough one, arizona vs arizona state.
 
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
2. Non conference road games are overrated, at least in the context of the argument you are making
Auburn's close loss to Clemson in Death Valley looks far better than Alabama's wins over FSU at a neutral site, Fresno State, Colorado State and the presumed win over Mercer.

Which is why a 2 loss Auburn very well could make the playoffs over a 1 loss Alabama.
 
Old 11-15-2017, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Auburn's close loss to Clemson in Death Valley looks far better than Alabama's wins over FSU at a neutral site, Fresno State, Colorado State and the presumed win over Mercer.

Which is why a 2 loss Auburn very well could make the playoffs over a 1 loss Alabama.
Im not sure if you are joking or if you honestly dont see the flaw in your argument.

1. A 2 lose Auburn would make the playoff over a 1 loss Alabama because a 2 loss Auburn team would have beaten that 1 loss Alabama team and Georgia(twice)head to head. Not because of where a game was held.

By your own logic, home wins are worth less than neutral site wins and in the grand scheme only away wins really matter , so an away loss means even less, LOL, "it was close".

By arguing where the game was played in a home and away series, you are literally only arguing in the context of one game in one year. So if Auburn had beaten Clemson last year, then it wouldnt have meant anything because it was a home game for Auburn.

2. FSU was preseason #3, Clemson preseason #5

Colordao State is 6-5, Fresno is 7-3.

UL Monroe is 4-5 and Georgia Southern is 0-9

Both teams play mercer.

Alabama's out of Conference SOS was ranked #7, Auburn's #14.

3. Back to the" one game in one year" argument

Auburn's next 3 Major OOC games are all 1 offs against Washington, Oregon , and Southern Miss, and there last 3 were against Louisville, Kansas State and Washington State.

Your argument is flawed on multiple levels.
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726
Surprised the Committee put Clemson at #2. Granted, Miami has had some close wins, but they have nothing but wins while Clemson has had some close wins and a close loss. I would have thought Miami would have ended up no lower than No. 2 considering they're undefeated, have a better win than Clemson's best win, and have beaten all common opponents.
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
4 teams was never going to be good enough - this means a Power 5 conference champion gets left out. Heck if Notre Dame had beaten Miami and ran the table it would mean 2 Power 5 conference champions get left out.

It doesn't matter if there's a blowout with an 8 team playoff - you would be giving more teams a shot to win a title. Essentially every year a team that is not a part of a Power 5 conference has zero shot of winning a national title because even if they they go 12-0 or 13-0 they will never be able to play for it. A school like UCF that could very well go 13-0 should have a shot to pay for a title.

If people have an issue of a potential blowout in the football playoffs, why then should we even have as many teams in the men's basketball tournament? A 16 seed has never beat a 1 seed. In the last 32 years a 15 seed has only beaten a 2 seed a total of 8 times or a whopping 7% of the time. A 14 seed has beaten a 3 seed 18 times, or 16% of the time. Combined over the 32 years a 16, 15, or 14 seed has won only 8% of the time.
I like the idea of a 6 team playoff. It's not terribly disruptive to the status quo. I think it's just broad enough to allow in a team that may have a decent shot of winning, but not too broad where you have an undefeated Alabama playing a 3 loss team. A team that has lost 3 games, IMO, has forfeited the right to play for a national championship.

I don't think the NCAA tournament should be compared to college football because the tourney can fit in a lot of games in a compressed schedule. There's also the issue of whether it's a good idea to have college teams playing a NFL length schedule. I get that "it's just one extra game," but one extra game in football and one extra game in basketball (or even 5 for that matter) are two different things with two very different sets of risks to players' physical and mental health.
 
Old 11-15-2017, 01:06 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,171 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Surprised the Committee put Clemson at #2. Granted, Miami has had some close wins, but they have nothing but wins while Clemson has had some close wins and a close loss. I would have thought Miami would have ended up no lower than No. 2 considering they're undefeated, have a better win than Clemson's best win, and have beaten all common opponents.
That really stood out to me. In fact I think Miami should be #1. It won't ultimately matter, but Clemson ahead of Miami was odd to me as well.
 
Old 11-15-2017, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,248 posts, read 4,679,799 times
Reputation: 16403
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Wisconsin's worst nightmare is a

12-0 Bama losing to a 12-1 Georgia and everyone else running the table as planned.

12-1 Clemson ,12-1 Miami, 12-1 Oklahoma

All 5 of those teams are at least 20 SOS spots ahead of Wisconsin, and if there were no upsets , all would have triple the top 25 wins that Wisconsin has at the end of the season (3 wins to 1)

It is hard to see Wisconsin getting in unless there are some major upsets.
Wisconsin's next 2 games are against ranked teams, so if they win out they will have beaten 3 ranked teams in the last 4 weeks. Committee seems to think they belong right there on the doorstep of the top 4.
 
Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726
I didn't realize Bama's defense was so banged up. This might be the year Auburn takes them down.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/a...hurts-injuries
 
Old 11-15-2017, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,546 posts, read 4,496,603 times
Reputation: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Ohio tonight. After the win over Toledo, they proved themselves as the top team in the MAC. Rest & totals later.
Western Michigan vs. Northern Illinois. NIU at home in this MACtion packed matchup.
Mid Tenn State vs. Western Kentucky. Hilltoppers!
Rutgers vs. Indiana. Dare me to pick Rutgers?? Sorry I can't do it on the road, at home I'd at least think about it.
Virginia vs. (2) Miami. How has Miami managed to get 3 straight home games in November??
Texas vs. (23) West Virginia. 'Eers at home, don't think the Horns can hang with them.
SMU vs. (13) Memphis. Should UCF stumble to USF next week (doubtful), Memphis looks like the biggest benefactor shooting up the BCS rankings with only that single loss to UCF way back in the beginning of the year.
Minnesota vs. Northwestern. Northwestern.
(18) TCU vs. Texas Tech. TCU should bounce back.
(21) Michigan vs. (4) Wisconsin. Wisconsin's at home and I don't think Michigan is really this good anyways.
Fresno State vs. Wyoming. No idea.
Kentucky vs. (8) Georgia. Bad news for Kentucky fans: Georgia will be looking to put up style points, and Kentucky is the team across the field. Good news for Kentucky fans: Basketball season has started, so no one will even give a crap by how many points the football team is losing by.
Kansas State vs. (12) Oklahoma State. Pokes at home to keep pace with TCU & West Virginia for the 2nd spot in Arlington.
Navy vs. (15) Notre Dame. Irish at home.
Georgia Tech vs. Duke. Another toss up for me. I'll get the last bunch in sometime later tonight or tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top