U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 04:30 PM

24,345 posts, read 12,102,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Wisconsin's next 2 games are against ranked teams, so if they win out they will have beaten 3 ranked teams in the last 4 weeks. Committee seems to think they belong right there on the doorstep of the top 4.
Im basing my assumption on there being no upsets.

Michigan is ranked now, but plays Ohio State and Wisconsin, it is unlikely to be ranked in 2 weeks at 8-4

Same is true of Iowa, which isnt ranked now at 6-4

That leaves Wisconsin with one possible top 25 win in Northwester. who is 7-3.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:08 AM

7,070 posts, read 4,773,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Ohio tonight. After the win over Toledo, they proved themselves as the top team in the MAC. Rest & totals later.
Quote:
Western Michigan vs. Northern Illinois. NIU at home in this MACtion packed matchup.
Mid Tenn State vs. Western Kentucky. Hilltoppers!
Rutgers vs. Indiana. Dare me to pick Rutgers?? Sorry I can't do it on the road, at home I'd at least think about it.
Virginia vs. (2) Miami. How has Miami managed to get 3 straight home games in November??
Texas vs. (23) West Virginia. 'Eers at home, don't think the Horns can hang with them.
SMU vs. (13) Memphis. Should UCF stumble to USF next week (doubtful), Memphis looks like the biggest benefactor shooting up the BCS rankings with only that single loss to UCF way back in the beginning of the year.
Minnesota vs. Northwestern. Northwestern.
(18) TCU vs. Texas Tech. TCU should bounce back.
(21) Michigan vs. (4) Wisconsin. Wisconsin's at home and I don't think Michigan is really this good anyways.
Fresno State vs. Wyoming. No idea.
Kentucky vs. (8) Georgia. Bad news for Kentucky fans: Georgia will be looking to put up style points, and Kentucky is the team across the field. Good news for Kentucky fans: Basketball season has started, so no one will even give a crap by how many points the football team is losing by.
Kansas State vs. (12) Oklahoma State. Pokes at home to keep pace with TCU & West Virginia for the 2nd spot in Arlington.
Navy vs. (15) Notre Dame. Irish at home.
Georgia Tech vs. Duke. Another toss up for me. I'll get the last bunch in sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

Last week: 15-9; overall: 174-81

UAB vs. Florida. This team is going to miss a bowl, unless they pull a Florida State and get a 12th team on their schedule for Championship weekend, but they aren't so terrible to lose this, right??
Texas A&M vs. Ole Miss. The annual A&M November swoon.
(20) LSU vs. Tennessee. Since Butch got the heave ho this might not be as big of a blowout as I thought it would be during the week, but LSU wins.
Arizona vs. Oregon. Toss up, I'll take the Ducks at Autzen.
NC State vs. Wake Forest. NC State, but I think Wake plays them close.
Missouri vs. Vanderbilt. I'll ride with the Dores again, even though they burned me last week.
Cal vs. (19) Stanford. Stanford again in what has become a one sided rivalry in the Cardinal the last decade.
UCLA vs. (7) USC. The "highly touted and overrated" QB bowl. Both of these guys should stay in school an extra year, but with how terrible this Bruins defense is and Mora is as a head coach Rosen probably can't get out of there fast enough. Think Darnald will end up staying at USC though.
Utah vs. (16) Washington. Huskies bounce back at home.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 AM

6,119 posts, read 2,712,418 times
Quote:
Last week: 15-9; overall: 174-81

UAB vs. Florida. This team is going to miss a bowl, unless they pull a Florida State and get a 12th team on their schedule for Championship weekend, but they aren't so terrible to lose this, right??
UAB is a 7-2 team with a very good coach. I wouldn't sleep on them.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:05 PM

938 posts, read 321,640 times
Can't believe the lack of quality match-ups when the regular season is winding down. Past Wisconsin-Michigan, unless some monumental possible upset is occurring late into a game, what a terrible week of college football. And why in god's name is Alabama scheduling Mercer this late in the season? I thought these games were always scheduled at the start of the season or for homecoming, not at the end of a season. I didn't know Mercer even had a football team. And Auburn and Clemson are following suit with these worthless games today. What a joke.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:20 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,312,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Can't believe the lack of quality match-ups when the regular season is winding down. Past Wisconsin-Michigan, unless some monumental possible upset is occurring late into a game, what a terrible week of college football. And why in god's name is Alabama scheduling Mercer this late in the season? I thought these games were always scheduled at the start of the season or for homecoming, not at the end of a season. I didn't know Mercer even had a football team. And Auburn and Clemson are following suit with these worthless games today. What a joke.
I don't get it either. Makes no sense. How is that supposed to sway the selection committee?

You'd think that the people who schedule these games would have a little more sense & pride in them.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM

452 posts, read 499,973 times
This has been going on for years, dating back to the BCS era. It’s a scheduling philosophy originated in the SEC to get the best players on their teams rested and ready for rivalry week, and it has now spread to other leagues and teams.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 PM

938 posts, read 321,640 times
I don't see anyone doing it beyond a few schools in the south (for whatever that's worth). The schools have their reasons, but why not just have a bye week? Sorry, but playing Mercer is over the top. My philosophy has always been that if you are going to have a classification system in NCAA sports- Divisions I, I-AA, II, III- then you should be playing those same schools. Why have the system if your allowed to play a school that isn't Division I, when you are a Division I school? Enough with Wisconsin's schedule. They will have earned their way in if they finish undefeated, every bit as much as Alabama.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:51 PM

24,345 posts, read 12,102,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I don't see anyone doing it beyond a few schools in the south (for whatever that's worth). The schools have their reasons, but why not just have a bye week? Sorry, but playing Mercer is over the top. My philosophy has always been that if you are going to have a classification system in NCAA sports- Divisions I, I-AA, II, III- then you should be playing those same schools. Why have the system if your allowed to play a school that isn't Division I, when you are a Division I school? Enough with Wisconsin's schedule. They will have earned their way in if they finish undefeated, every bit as much as Alabama.
The committees job officially is to pick the 4 best teams, not the teams who have "earned it/deserve it". Thats is actually one of the reasons I like the committee over the BCS, look at 2014. FSU was the only undefeated, but clearly not the best team. They were #3, and should have been around 8, but at least the committee started to show they were willing to rank teams best to worst and not best record to worst. Wisconsin being undefeated does not make them one of the better teams. I think they are around 8 or 9

As for Scheduling, why does it matter when the game is scheduled and if they are FCS or a bottom feeder FBS team ? Alabama scheduling an OOC opponent in November is no different than Wisconsin playing Florida Atlantic in September.

If the Betting line is +30 then it doesnt matter what division they are from.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,997,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The committees job officially is to pick the 4 best teams, not the teams who have "earned it/deserve it". Thats is actually one of the reasons I like the committee over the BCS, look at 2014. FSU was the only undefeated, but clearly not the best team. They were #3, and should have been around 8, but at least the committee started to show they were willing to rank teams best to worst and not best record to worst. Wisconsin being undefeated does not make them one of the better teams. I think they are around 8 or 9

As for Scheduling, why does it matter when the game is scheduled and if they are FCS or a bottom feeder FBS team ? Alabama scheduling an OOC opponent in November is no different than Wisconsin playing Florida Atlantic in September.

If the Betting line is +30 then it doesnt matter what division they are from.
If a team goes 13-0 and wins a conference title from a Power 5 conference, they will be in the playoff and deserve to be in the playoff. If Wisconsin wins out they should be in the playoff. It's not so simple to claim one team is better than the other when more often than not they do not play common opponents and thanks to not having a playoff for many years and even now have a 4 team playoff means they will never play or have a chance to play.

Regarding scheduling, Big Ten teams are not allow to schedule FCS teams. Something the playoff committee should mandate other conferences from being allowed to do. They also play a 9 game conference schedule (the Pac 12 and Big 12 also play 9 game conference schedules). Something the playoff committee should also mandate to the ACC and SEC.

Last edited by TAM88; 11-18-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,039,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
If a team goes 13-0 and wins a conference title from a Power 5 conference, they will be in the playoff and deserve to be in the playoff. If Wisconsin wins out they should be in the playoff.

Regarding scheduling, Big Ten teams are not allow to schedule FCS teams.
Partially true

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...all-scheduling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or