U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 PM
 
929 posts, read 296,681 times
Reputation: 799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The committees job officially is to pick the 4 best teams, not the teams who have "earned it/deserve it". Thats is actually one of the reasons I like the committee over the BCS, look at 2014. FSU was the only undefeated, but clearly not the best team. They were #3, and should have been around 8, but at least the committee started to show they were willing to rank teams best to worst and not best record to worst. Wisconsin being undefeated does not make them one of the better teams. I think they are around 8 or 9

As for Scheduling, why does it matter when the game is scheduled and if they are FCS or a bottom feeder FBS team ? Alabama scheduling an OOC opponent in November is no different than Wisconsin playing Florida Atlantic in September.

If the Betting line is +30 then it doesnt matter what division they are from.
My comment has nothing to do with not believing Clemson, Auburn, or Alabama aren't necessarily 3 of the 4 best. Really the point was, I see just schools that happen to be from the ACC and SEC scheduling these ridiculous games today. I have no partisan interest in one of these schools or conferences versus another. It was mentioned in a reply to my original comment that more and more schools are doing it when in fact, there is no indication of that, and as another poster pointed out, some of the conferences aren't allowed to schedule teams like Mercer.

The difference in scheduling is that early season patsies were the norm as to allow teams to ease into the season, acclimate players to a new season, especially the freshmen. IMO, there is a big difference playing these games in the middle of November- flat-out embarrassing. The betting line comment, I can't comment on because you lost me there.

 
Old 11-18-2017, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,446 posts, read 10,899,598 times
Reputation: 28189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
...You'd think that the people who schedule these games would have a little more sense & pride in them.
Games like Clemson vs The Citadel are a financial necessity for FCS teams like The Citadel. Also, it's part of Clemson's Military Appreciation Week.
 
Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Murphy, North Carolina
2,084 posts, read 1,018,402 times
Reputation: 1701
16-8 on picks this week. Here's my Top 25 going into Rivalry Week.

#1: Alabama (11-0)
#2: Miami (10-0)
#3: Oklahoma (10-1)
#4: Wisconsin (11-0)
#5: Clemson (10-1)
#6: Auburn (9-2)
#7: Georgia (10-1)
#8: USC (10-2)
#9: Ohio State (9-2)
#10: UCF (10-0)
#11: Penn State (9-2)
#12: Memphis (9-1)
#13: USF (9-1)
#14: Notre Dame (9-2)
#15: Washington (9-2)
#16: Washington State (9-2)
#17: TCU (9-2)
#18: Stanford (8-3)
#19: Oklahoma State (8-3)
#20: LSU (8-3)
#21: Boise State (9-2)
#22: Mississippi State (8-3)
#23: Troy (8-2)
#24: San Diego State (9-2)
#25: Northwestern (8-3)
 
Old 11-19-2017, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
My comment has nothing to do with not believing Clemson, Auburn, or Alabama aren't necessarily 3 of the 4 best. Really the point was, I see just schools that happen to be from the ACC and SEC scheduling these ridiculous games today. I have no partisan interest in one of these schools or conferences versus another. It was mentioned in a reply to my original comment that more and more schools are doing it when in fact, there is no indication of that, and as another poster pointed out, some of the conferences aren't allowed to schedule teams like Mercer.
There are conferences like the big 10 that tell their schools not to play FCS teams, but they are still playing bottom feeder FBS teams, which is why I said if the betting line is +30, it doesnt matter, and it really doesnt.

Its an optics argument that doesnt really fly on the field because you are likely going to beat FAU( an FBS
school) just as bad as you beat Mercer( an FCS team)


Quote:
The difference in scheduling is that early season patsies were the norm as to allow teams to ease into the season, acclimate players to a new season, especially the freshmen. IMO, there is a big difference playing these games in the middle of November- flat-out embarrassing. The betting line comment, I can't comment on because you lost me there.
As long as I have watched Football, the SEC has always played a patsy late season.

Betting line means you are predicted to beat that team by that many points.

Whether it is November or September, FBS or FCS, if you are expected to win by 30, it doesnt matter when you play them. Which is why I dont see a difference.
 
Old 11-19-2017, 03:05 PM
 
929 posts, read 296,681 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are conferences like the big 10 that tell their schools not to play FCS teams, but they are still playing bottom feeder FBS teams, which is why I said if the betting line is +30, it doesnt matter, and it really doesnt.

Its an optics argument that doesnt really fly on the field because you are likely going to beat FAU( an FBS
school) just as bad as you beat Mercer( an FCS team)




As long as I have watched Football, the SEC has always played a patsy late season.

Betting line means you are predicted to beat that team by that many points.

Whether it is November or September, FBS or FCS, if you are expected to win by 30, it doesnt matter when you play them. Which is why I dont see a difference.
I still don't get the betting line argument and how that has anything to do with anything. Who cares. Those get released about six days before a game takes place. Oregon was favored by 28 points in a conference championship game a few years ago. Beyond that, we'll just agree to disagree. I just don't like the timing of these games.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 11-19-2017 at 04:12 PM..
 
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,222 posts, read 8,235,579 times
Reputation: 4910
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Can't believe the lack of quality match-ups when the regular season is winding down. Past Wisconsin-Michigan, unless some monumental possible upset is occurring late into a game, what a terrible week of college football. And why in god's name is Alabama scheduling Mercer this late in the season? I thought these games were always scheduled at the start of the season or for homecoming, not at the end of a season. I didn't know Mercer even had a football team. And Auburn and Clemson are following suit with these worthless games today. What a joke.
I've said it before too, no P5 team should be playing cupcakes past September. The only exception is if the game got rescheduled because of a hurricane or some other event such as when the NFL/NCAA took the weekend off right after 9/11.

At least it seems like Georgia has gone back to playing their usual conference opponents the week before their game with Georgia Tech instead of playing Georgia Southern and the likes. I can appreciate that.
 
Old 11-19-2017, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I still don't get the betting line argument and how that has anything to do with anything. Who cares. Those get released about six days before a game takes place. Oregon was favored by 28 points in a conference championship game a few years ago. Beyond that, we'll just agree to disagree. I just don't like the timing of these games.
It is simply. Your argument is based on the quality of the opponent.

Im simply stating that the quality of an FBS scrub and and FCS team arent so far apart that you can make a distinction when grading out 2 teams.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 AM
 
929 posts, read 296,681 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It is simply. Your argument is based on the quality of the opponent.

Im simply stating that the quality of an FBS scrub and and FCS team arent so far apart that you can make a distinction when grading out 2 teams.
All I care is that schools choose to schedule the likes of Citadel and Mercer years in advance in the month of November. As opposed to playing them early on. The intent of course is to garner an automatic W by waving tons of $$$ in the faces of the lesser programs. I do not care six days before game day whether the point spread is a pick em or -50.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
447 posts, read 471,920 times
Reputation: 511
Why does it matter if they play them in November vs. September, they're on the schedule either way???
 
Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 PM
 
929 posts, read 296,681 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Why does it matter if they play them in November vs. September, they're on the schedule either way???
Agree or disagree, I thought this obvious and discussed ad-nauseum at this point.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 11-20-2017 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top