U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Why does it matter if they play them in November vs. September, they're on the schedule either way???
I understand teams that schedule them early.. as the first game or whatever.. "Tune up games" they're usually called.. There are no pre-season games in college, so.. Scheduling a scrub at the start of the year helps get things nailed down with the team without a huge risk (Michigan vs Appy State) of getting a loss that might kill your title chances.

The November games.. I guess we could call a "Wind Down" game.. A little more confusing to me. Though, I suppose most of these games are scheduled around Homecoming and having a larger than normal amount of alumni around, you want to be able to hang a "W" in front of them?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
I almost feel like some big programs have these cupcake games (apart from the already stated reasons) to allow seniors who don't normally play a chance to get some reps for what is sometimes their last home game.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 PM

23,290 posts, read 11,528,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
All I care is that schools choose to schedule the likes of Citadel and Mercer years in advance in the month of November. As opposed to playing them early on. The intent of course is to garner an automatic W by waving tons of $$$ in the faces of the lesser programs. I do not care six days before game day whether the point spread is a pick em or -50.
My point seems to be going over your head.

1. You dont need a "pick em" to know Alabama is going to beat Mercer by 50 or Ohio State is going to beat UNLV by 30. They are both cupcakes and considered automatic wins the moment you schedule them. I used the betting line as a frame of reference , but it does not exist in a bubble, those teams are all seen as wins years in advance.

My point has always been that those are automatic wins, your point seems to be that they are somehow different just because one is FBS and one is FCS. They are not.

As you said in your other post, we can agree to disagree, but you seem to actually not understand my argument.

2. Time of year doesnt matter. You think it does for some reason, but that opinion isnt based on anything factual. it is literally just an opinion.

If we are getting deep into this, I doubt these bottom feeder schools have half their freshmen enrolled in January and field ready when the season starts like the major schools, so it could be argued that playing them in August /September is actually worse.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 AM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My point seems to be going over your head.

1. You dont need a "pick em" to know Alabama is going to beat Mercer by 50 or Ohio State is going to beat UNLV by 30. They are both cupcakes and considered automatic wins the moment you schedule them. I used the betting line as a frame of reference , but it does not exist in a bubble, those teams are all seen as wins years in advance.

My point has always been that those are automatic wins, your point seems to be that they are somehow different just because one is FBS and one is FCS. They are not.
Nothing is misunderstood- just like point spreads, I'm not interested in the FCS vs FBS argument either. The only mention of it is the bigger issue of schools being limited who they can schedule, because if their is a classification system in the NCAA, well then by golly, schools should be required to compete against that respective division's school. The original premise has nothing to with scheduling FCS vs FBS, beyond it then limits who a team can then play. Last I checked La-Monroe is a I-A football program, and Auburn is every bit as guilty. I don't know where you are coming up with point spreads and FBS vs FCS in terms of magnitude of teams being a difference. Anyone with a pulse knows which games are scheduled with the intent of easy wins. Its not complicated- simply stated, you either agree these games should be scheduled in November, or they shouldn't be.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 11-21-2017 at 05:11 AM..

Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 AM

447 posts, read 471,368 times
Quote:
Agree or disagree, I thought this obvious and discussed ad-nauseum at this point.

I already explained how this November thing got started. Just let it go...

Old 11-21-2017, 02:12 PM

23,290 posts, read 11,528,375 times
Quote:
Nothing is misunderstood- just like point spreads, I'm not interested in the FCS vs FBS argument either. The only mention of it is the bigger issue of schools being limited who they can schedule, because if their is a classification system in the NCAA, well then by golly, schools should be required to compete against that respective division's school. The original premise has nothing to with scheduling FCS vs FBS, beyond it then limits who a team can then play. Last I checked La-Monroe is a I-A football program, and Auburn is every bit as guilty. I don't know where you are coming up with point spreads and FBS vs FCS in terms of magnitude of teams being a difference. Anyone with a pulse knows which games are scheduled with the intent of easy wins.

the FBS is based on a set of qualifications rather than size of school or money in and of itself.

For example. The University of Chicago has one of the largest endowments in the US, it can easily afford to have the 14 (7 mens , 7 womens) sports required to be FBS and the NCAA scholarship requirements, but I doubt it could get the 15,000 fan average to qualify.

On the opposite end, there are 11 FCS teams that qualify to be FBS by attendance, but I doubt they have the scholarship money or other sports programs to qualify other than Liberty and Harvard.

The above is exactly why FCS vs FBS doesnt mean all that much. Its not superior vs inferior schools.

My mention of the class system not meaning anything has to do with the fact that what would happen(what we have already seen happen) is that those schools just replace Mercer with Florida Atlantic or North Texas, some school that will still be seen as an automatic win.

The only way to get rid of this is for the NCAA to do the scheduling have the preseason top 25 all play one another in week 1.

Quote:
Its not complicated- simply stated, you either agree these games should be scheduled in November, or they shouldn't be.

I think most fall under the umbrella of " it doesnt matter when you play a cupcake".

Old 11-21-2017, 02:21 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Quote:
All I care is that schools choose to schedule the likes of Citadel and Mercer years in advance in the month of November. As opposed to playing them early on. The intent of course is to garner an automatic W by waving tons of $$$ in the faces of the lesser programs. I do not care six days before game day whether the point spread is a pick em or -50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I understand teams that schedule them early.. as the first game or whatever.. "Tune up games" they're usually called.. There are no pre-season games in college, so.. Scheduling a scrub at the start of the year helps get things nailed down with the team without a huge risk (Michigan vs Appy State) of getting a loss that might kill your title chances.

The November games.. I guess we could call a "Wind Down" game.. A little more confusing to me. Though, I suppose most of these games are scheduled around Homecoming and having a larger than normal amount of alumni around, you want to be able to hang a "W" in front of them?
what you guys need to remember is that scheduling issues do occur from time to time. and while most of the time cupcakes are played early in the season, sometimes a scheduling conflict happens, and the cupcake game gets put later in the season when both teams have an open date. scheduling conflicts happen, what do you do?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:39 PM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what you guys need to remember is that scheduling issues do occur from time to time. and while most of the time cupcakes are played early in the season, sometimes a scheduling conflict happens, and the cupcake game gets put later in the season when both teams have an open date. scheduling conflicts happen, what do you do?
While your point is well taken, I think all agree on both sides of the debate that this situation is an intentional and strategic placement of easy opponents. Maybe I look thru the prism too much of expecting more drama on a late season Saturday, and more over that networks would care about higher ratings late in the season than in the early summer weeks when audiences are potentially smaller. But gambling has such a monumental impact on the sport and it is a short season, that perhaps past ratings don't indicate there is an issue, hence networks don't take umbrage.

Either way, I think as I and others have alluded to, there isn't anything left to dissect and it probably isn't going to change unless other conferences step in.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Either way, I think as I and others have alluded to, there isn't anything left to dissect and it probably isn't going to change unless other conferences step in.
What will change it is if someone gets left out of the playoffs due to this scheduling.

I've been on Alabama all year and I won't stop now. They ATTEMPTED to have a quality opponent the first game. It didn't work out. So, I'm not holding that against them so far as their scheduling. It's a roll of the dice. I mean, Clemson schedules South Carolina as the last game every year.. Some years, that's a quality win.. some years not. with Alabama... Noone had any idea that FSU would be this bad.

But, they schedule THREE scrubs. This year, Mercer, Colorado State and Fresno. Now, should they get left out of the playoffs.. Those games will be pointed to as part of the reason. And I am willing to bet that scheduling will change.

My thinking on Alabama's scheduling is that they should take one of those scrub games and revive a rivalry.. Alabama vs Georgia Tech. Now, yes, GT kinda sucks this year, but.. A good rivalry game win can go a long way.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:24 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
First off, a happy thanksgiving to everyone here on this forum.

Next up, it's here - time for rivalry week picks! Here are the games for this week.

Ole Miss vs. (22) Mississippi State
Northern Illinois vs. Central Michigan
Navy vs. Houston
Missouri vs. Arkansas
(13) USF vs. (10) UCF
Iowa vs. Nebraska
Virginia Tech vs. Virginia
Texas Tech vs. Texas
Cal vs. UCLA
Florida State vs. Florida
(7) Georgia vs. Georgia Tech
Louisville vs. Kentucky
(9) Ohio State vs. Michigan
Indiana vs. Purdue
Duke vs. Wake Forest
(1) Alabama vs. (6) Auburn
Iowa State vs. Kansas State
(4) Wisconsin vs. Minnesota
(21) Boise State vs. Fresno State
West Virginia vs. (3) Oklahoma
Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee
Arizona vs. Arizona State
(5) Clemson vs. South Carolina
Texas A&M vs. (20) LSU
(14) Notre Dame vs. (18) Stanford
(16) Washington State vs. (15) Washington
Colorado vs. Utah
Utah State vs. Air Force

Pick Overall Record: 198-99
Pick Record Last Week: 16-8

Here are my picks.
Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State (Dawgs at home...this Ole Miss team is not good.)
Northern Illinois vs. Central Michigan (Huskies should win, but CMU has been their kryptonite in the past, so i'm going with the Chippewas.)
Navy vs. Houston (Fans already ain't happy with Major Applewhite in Houston.)
Missouri vs. Arkansas (Mizzou should win this big.)
USF vs. UCF (This will be a fun game to watch...if only USF hadn't gone and lost to Houston. Regardless, it'll be fun. I'll take UCF at home.)
Iowa vs. Nebraska (How does Nebraska go from getting blown out by Minnesota by 33 points, to scoring the most points any of Penn State's opponents have ever scored on them in Beaver Stadium? I don't know...and i don't know who to pick here, this is a tossup.)
Virginia Tech vs. Virginia (Tossup...giving the advantage to VT, though.)
Texas Tech vs. Texas (Add Texas Tech to the list of teams looking for a new coach after this...)
Cal vs. UCLA (Even though the Bruins have fired their coach...look at their schedule. They have not lost a single game at home all year. I'll take them in a close one.)
Florida State vs. Florida (Both teams only looked good last week because of who they were playing...this game will be like watching two armless humans fight.)
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech (Georgia should win this...GT's defense is horrible.)
Louisville vs. Kentucky (Going with Louisville in this one...do not think Kentucky will beat Louisville twice in a row.)
Ohio State vs. Michigan (Ohio State will win again...not Michigan's best year, but last season showed what Harbaugh is capable of with an older and healthier team...this Michigan team is just too young at the moment.)
Indiana vs. Purdue (Tossup.)
Duke vs. Wake Forest (Wake has got an offense now...probably the best i've ever seen from Wake. I'm taking them over Duke this week.)
Alabama vs. Auburn (My Iron Bowl pick goes to Auburn. I'm not saying Alabama won't win, but they're too banged up on defense IMO...plus, Gus finally pulled his head out of his butt and is intelligent, letting Chip call the plays in both halves.)
Iowa State vs. Kansas State (ISU made some noise for a while, but now they're settling down...)
Wisconsin vs. Minnesota (Wisconsin. Again.)
Boise State vs. Fresno State (Boise in a close one...and then they play each other again the next week.)
West Virginia vs. Oklahoma (Whether Baker's in this or not, Oklahoma is winning this game...West Virginia without Grier has no chance of winning this ballgame.)
Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee (Man, i don't know here...both teams suck, but i'm giving the edge to Vandy.)
Arizona vs. Arizona State (Arizona should win this.)
Clemson vs. South Carolina (I think this'll be closer than what many people think, but Clemson will win this again...)
Texas A&M vs. LSU (LSU beats the Aggies again, and Sumlin will be fired afterwards.)
Notre Dame vs. Stanford (Don't know...slight edge to Notre Dame in this one, though.)
Washington State vs. Washington (Sorry, Cougars...i think Washington wins the Apple Cup again.)
Colorado vs. Utah (What a stupid decision Whittingham made last week...and i think it costs the Utes bowl eligibility.)
Utah State vs. Air Force (Not one of Air Force's better years, but i think they should at least beat Utah State.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or