U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 10:28 PM

5,460 posts, read 2,298,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Miami looked outclassed both sides of the football. This is what we suspected for so long, but after those prime time performances a few weeks back, it looked as though Miami was sort of a team of destiny. Definitely would be outside my top 4 as of today before we know what happens Saturday. Oklahoma would replace them if I had a vote, to go along with Clemson, Alabama, and Wisconsin. If Miami beats Clemson, especially convincingly, they could well make their way back in. But they sure didn't look close to being even a top 10 team today.
I'm just going to say it. Both Georgia and Miami made their bones this year by beating Notre Dame. But is Notre Dame that good? Yes, they tattooed USC. But, in truth, no other program coasts on its reputation like Notre Dame does.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Let me amend that, this UCF - USF game has been insane. This 4th quarter has been nuts.
no defense and bad special teams - great effort by Flowers

Old 11-25-2017, 09:16 AM

929 posts, read 296,681 times
I caught the UCF-S. Florida 4th quarter and it was exciting. But it still reinforces in my head why I have a problem with college vs pro. I've been bashing the NFL on many fronts and want to like college better, but wow, I wish more of these college teams would learn to play something called defense. Its a joke in at least 80% of these games. Most years it seems the top tier SEC and Big 10 schools are good defensively, but the rest are few and far between.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Still don't get the Ohio State discussion and that angle. They are not getting in the playoff, nor should they. Ahead in the pecking order: Auburn-Georgia winner, Clemson-Miami winner, Oklahoma EVEN IF THEY LOSE to TCU, and Alabama (and yes I don't lose sight that their best win is vs Miss State). Not saying Oklahoma is getting in if they lose, nor Alabama. But how can Ohio State leapfrog those four teams minimum? Winning the conference championship game? That's apples and oranges (comparing one team winning a conference championship and another in a different conference not winning one) and shouldn't be a precursor to making the playoff- its about the four best teams. What's this nonsense about somehow this being the NCAA tourney and getting in automatically if you win the conference championship despite not being one of the 68 best? That's obviously not how it works in college football, but listening to Gary Danielson on the CBS broadcast, you'd almost be led to believe otherwise.
And wouldn't you know it, the committee made that clear last year when Ohio State themselves got in without getting to the conference championship game and despite losing to the team that did win the Big 10, but didn't get in. Ohio State got whipped by Oklahoma at home and mauled by an average Iowa team, not to mention not being the better team most of the day vs Penn State. I understand the case for them last year, but if they get in this year, there is some serious bias in that selection room. I don't care how impressive they look next week vs Wisconsin. Of course if Wisconsin beats them, then forget I even brought this topic up.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 11-25-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 05:10 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,880,228 times
As of right now, it looks like we may only have 1 SEC team get in and Alabama would need some help to get into the playoffs. Oklahoma could be 12-1 and Big 12 champs. Wisconsin could be 13-0 and Big Ten champs. Clemson could be 12-1 and ACC champs. Miami (FL) could be 11-1 and ACC champs. It would be a shame if we had 2 conference be left out this year.

Now if we see Ohio State beat Wisconsin and TCU beat Oklahoma, things could get very interesting.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:25 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,492,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Still don't get the Ohio State discussion and that angle. They are not getting in the playoff, nor should they. Ahead in the pecking order: Auburn-Georgia winner, Clemson-Miami winner, Oklahoma EVEN IF THEY LOSE to TCU, and Alabama (and yes I don't lose sight that their best win is vs Miss State). Not saying Oklahoma is getting in if they lose, nor Alabama. But how can Ohio State leapfrog those four teams minimum? Winning the conference championship game? That's apples and oranges (comparing one team winning a conference championship and another in a different conference not winning one) and shouldn't be a precursor to making the playoff- its about the four best teams. What's this nonsense about somehow this being the NCAA tourney and getting in automatically if you win the conference championship despite not being one of the 68 best? That's obviously not how it works in college football, but listening to Gary Danielson on the CBS broadcast, you'd almost be led to believe otherwise.
And wouldn't you know it, the committee made that clear last year when Ohio State themselves got in without getting to the conference championship game and despite losing to the team that did win the Big 10, but didn't get in. Ohio State got whipped by Oklahoma at home and mauled by an average Iowa team, not to mention not being the better team most of the day vs Penn State. I understand the case for them last year, but if they get in this year, there is some serious bias in that selection room. I don't care how impressive they look next week vs Wisconsin. Of course if Wisconsin beats them, then forget I even brought this topic up.

It's not entirely out of the question, and that's why I hope Wisconsin crushes them. Ohio State lost almost as badly to a 7-5 team than Penn State did to a top 10 team last year. I know Iowa beat Michigan last year, but the Michigan team last year was a lot better than the Iowa team this year, and even so Michigan only lost by 3, OSU lost by 30. If the committee left Penn State out last year because of that lopsided Michigan loss, shouldn't they do the same to the Buckeyes this year?? The only spot that is currently "locked" is the SEC champ (no matter who it is) WILL BE in the playoff. IF Clemson ends up beating South Carolina than the ACC champ (no matter if it's Clemson or Miami) WILL BE in the playoffs so that'll set half the field and about 10 teams to pick from for 2 spots. If Wisconsin & Oklahoma win than those are your final 2 teams and it won't be controversial at all (and finally looking at Alabama's schedule they really have played no one, so I'd definitely leave them out of the top 4 and maybe top 6 as well).

In order for OSU to get in, they need to beat Wisconsin, have Oklahoma lose and probably have ND lose to Stanford as even if OSU did beat Wiscy, and TCU beat Oklahoma, I would still take a 2 loss ND (assuming they beat Stanford) over a 2 loss Ohio State just because of the wins they have.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
It's not entirely out of the question, and that's why I hope Wisconsin crushes them. Ohio State lost almost as badly to a 7-5 team than Penn State did to a top 10 team last year. I know Iowa beat Michigan last year, but the Michigan team last year was a lot better than the Iowa team this year, and even so Michigan only lost by 3, OSU lost by 30. If the committee left Penn State out last year because of that lopsided Michigan loss, shouldn't they do the same to the Buckeyes this year?? The only spot that is currently "locked" is the SEC champ (no matter who it is) WILL BE in the playoff. IF Clemson ends up beating South Carolina than the ACC champ (no matter if it's Clemson or Miami) WILL BE in the playoffs so that'll set half the field and about 10 teams to pick from for 2 spots. If Wisconsin & Oklahoma win than those are your final 2 teams and it won't be controversial at all (and finally looking at Alabama's schedule they really have played no one, so I'd definitely leave them out of the top 4 and maybe top 6 as well).

In order for OSU to get in, they need to beat Wisconsin, have Oklahoma lose and probably have ND lose to Stanford as even if OSU did beat Wiscy, and TCU beat Oklahoma, I would still take a 2 loss ND (assuming they beat Stanford) over a 2 loss Ohio State just because of the wins they have.
I agree with your assessment. The only dissent I would have, again, is that even Oklahoma loses and Ohio State wins next week, I'd still have Oklahoma ahead of Ohio State for I think obvious reasons. Doesn't mean I'd include Oklahoma, but they'd be higher up in the "pecking order". I would perhaps even argue, if Auburn lost a close game to Georgia next week resulting in a third loss, Auburn still should be above Ohio State. The quality wins coupled with what would be 3 narrow losses to Georgia (who they already killed once), LSU, and Clemson amounts to a better resume as opposed to two ugly losses by Ohio St, one of which to an average Iowa team. The win over Penn St was also dicey- a win is a win, but if I'm only selecting four teams among contenders from an array of different conferences and have to start splitting hairs, I have to take that into consideration as well.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,083 times
Well it depends. Is the hypothetical Ohio State win over Wisconsin 12-10, or 59-0?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,880,228 times
1. Oklahoma - Big 12 Champ (12-1)
2. Clemson - ACC Champ (12-1)
3. Georgia - SEC Champ (12-1)
4. Wisconsin - Big Ten champ (13-0)
5. USC - Pac 12 champ (11-2)
6. Alabama - At large (11-1)
7. Notre Dame - At large (10-2)
8. UCF - At Large (undefeated non-Power 5) (13-0)

Imagine that.

Let's say Ohio State wins - my guess is that they will be in at 11-2 and Big Ten champs, or does the committee opt for an 11-2 Pac 12 champion USC? USC's 2 loses would come against a 9 or 10 win Notre Dame team and a 9 or 10 win Washington State. I think it's safe to say the ACC and SEC champs are getting in. Either way this season will show another reason why they need to expand the playoff to 8 teams.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:33 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,083 times
then the same exact thing will happen, but the 9-10 teams will be whining. I like it this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or