U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 08:34 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Well it depends. Is the hypothetical Ohio State win over Wisconsin 12-10, or 59-0?

They could win 2-0, 10-9 or 1150-0 and it shouldn't matter. This OSU team is not very good and would get crushed....again, in the playoff plus they aren't one of the best 4 teams....and don't have the resume of 1 of the 4 best teams. So no matter which way you slice it.....whether you want to take the 4 best on the field or the 4 most deserving if OSU does get in it will be on reputation alone and nothing else.

I pose this question. If you replaced Ohio State with "Oregon State" or hell even "Oklahoma State" would we be having this discussion?? Hell no, because Oregon State or Oklahoma State would be nowhere near the playoff with this Ohio State team

Old 11-25-2017, 09:15 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times
I don't think they're very good. I do think they're good enough to beat Wisconsin, maybe they could even squeeze out a win against Oklahoma, but not the other top 4 teams. Barrett is horrible. Almost as bad as Alabama's QB, and they don't have another Zeke to carry them through (literally). They could have made a very legitimate argument until they lost to Iowa or whoever it was. I mean they just had a huge comeback against the #2 team in the country, and the very next week, they somehow find a way to show the world how much of a joke they are.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:44 PM

5,449 posts, read 2,292,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
1. Oklahoma - Big 12 Champ (12-1)
2. Clemson - ACC Champ (12-1)
3. Georgia - SEC Champ (12-1)
4. Wisconsin - Big Ten champ (13-0)
5. USC - Pac 12 champ (11-2)
6. Alabama - At large (11-1)

8. UCF - At Large (undefeated non-Power 5) (13-0)

Imagine that.

Let's say Ohio State wins - my guess is that they will be in at 11-2 and Big Ten champs, or does the committee opt for an 11-2 Pac 12 champion USC? USC's 2 loses would come against a 9 or 10 win Notre Dame team and a 9 or 10 win Washington State. I think it's safe to say the ACC and SEC champs are getting in. Either way this season will show another reason why they need to expand the playoff to 8 teams.
Help me understand why, year after year, people pump up Notre Dame, only for the Irish to get exposed by the end of the year (Even as I write this, they're getting waxed by Stanford). Repeat after me: Notre Dame has not been relevant since the late 80s. Yes, they managed to get into the NCG in 2012 by some weird statistical fluke, but were smashed like a bug.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:15 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Help me understand why, year after year, people pump up Notre Dame, only for the Irish to get exposed by the end of the year (Even as I write this, they're getting waxed by Stanford). Repeat after me: Notre Dame has not been relevant since the late 80s. Yes, they managed to get into the NCG in 2012 by some weird statistical fluke, but were smashed like a bug.
I am not trying to pump up Notre Dame - when I wrote my post they were beating Stanford. In an 8 team playoff a 10-2 Notre Dame team is going to get it - for better or worse. They're like the Dallas Cowboys - neither team has won a meaningful, big time game since 1996.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:59 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Rivalry week playoff recap. Most of the important stuff is over aside from the resounding Apple Cup blowout and ND turning the ball over left & right here in the 4th quarter at Stanford to turn that game into a rout, and the 3 late games don't have any importance with the exception of bowl eligibility in Colorado/Utah, here's where we stand by conference.

ACC: Miami loses to Pittsburgh, Clemson blows out South Carolina. If Clemson wins the ACC championship they are definitely in the playoff. I think Miami will probably make it as well if they win, but I have a feeling the committee drops them a bit and maybe tough to make up 4 or 5 spots in 1 week.

Big 10: Wisconsin shut out Minnesota and Ohio State won @ Michigan. With Miami's loss Friday Wisconsin is officially in with a win over Ohio State. Ohio State should be dead but because their jerseys say "Ohio State" they still have a pulse even though they should be NOWEHERE near the playoff, but they still need 2 or 3 things to break their way to get in.

Big 12: Big 12 championship game next weekend is TCU vs. Oklahoma. Oklahoma is officially in with a second win over TCU, while TCU is probably dead.

Pac 12: U Dub won the Apple Cup in a rout which sets up a second meeting between Stanford & USC in the Pac 12 title game Friday night, but that is probably irrelevant. USC may crack the top 10, but is going to need a lot of help, and is likely dead anyways. Stanford has no chance at the playoff.

SEC: Auburn won the Iron Bowl, so we get a second Auburn/Georgia game. Like the ACC, the winner of this game no matter which team it is, is officially IN the playoff, with the loser definitely OUT of playoff discussion. Like Ohio State, Alabama is still breathing on reputation only as they should not be in playoff discussion. If their jerseys said "Arkansas" or "Arizona" would we be talking about a team who's best win is by 7 over an 8-4 team or over a 9-3 team that lost to Troy as deserving of a playoff spot?? We shouldn't be, but its entirely possibly they are a playoff team. If either Oklahoma or Wisconsin lose, you have 1 spot left who do you pick?? It's probably going to be between Alabama & Ohio State as that 4th team even though I would select TCU, Oklahoma AND USC (If they beat Stanford) before either of them (check out USC's schedule and compare it to Bama's or Ohio State's), If both Oklahoma & Wisconsin lose than both Alabama & Ohio State are probably in even though they'd be no higher than 4th on my pecking order. As usual, reputation wins!

Other: Notre Dame. Even though I officially declared them dead 2 weeks ago, they still had some hope. Had Clemson lost to SC and beaten Miami, if Bama had won out, and if TCU beat Oklahoma they would have had a chance to sneak in as the #4 if they beat Stanford. Welp, that's officially by the wayside now.

My rankings:
#1 Clemson
#2 Oklahoma
#3 Auburn
#4 Wisconsin
-------------
#5 Alabama
#6 Georgia
#7 Ohio State
#8 Miami.

Fairly easy top 6 for me. Clemson & OU both move up 2 spots because 1 & 2 lost, with Auburn jumping Wisconsin for the 3rd spot and Wiscy rounding out the top 4. You could flip flop Oklahoma & Auburn because as I've said before 2 & 3 are virtually identical anyways, but the committee is taking head-to-head into account so do not seeing Auburn higher than Clemson when Clemson beat them on the field. Even with their horrible schedule I can't drop Bama out of the top 5, and Georgia moves up. Ohio State bumps ND and takes Georgia's spot at 7, while Miami will take a tumble in the rankings. I waffled between Miami & Penn State at #8 because if the committee drops the #1 for losing at #10 (albeit losing badly) 6 spots, the committee can certainly drop #2 for losing at a 5-7 team (albeit not nearly as badly) 6 spots, but I think they will leave them above Penn State but not above Ohio State.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:17 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
18-10 on picks this week. Going into the conference championships, here's my Top 25.

#1: Oklahoma (11-1) +2
#2: Wisconsin (12-0) +2
#3: Clemson (11-1) +2
#4: Auburn (10-2) +2
#5: Georgia (11-1) +2
#6: Alabama (11-1) -5
#7: Miami (10-1) -5
#8: USC (10-2)
#9: UCF (11-0) +1
#10: Ohio State (10-2) -1
#11: Penn State (10-2)
#12: Memphis (10-1)
#13: Washington (10-2) +2
#14: Stanford (9-3) +4
#15: TCU (10-2) +2
#16: Oklahoma State (9-3) +3
#17: LSU (9-3) +3
#18: USF (9-2) -5
#19: Notre Dame (9-3) -5
#20: Troy (9-2) +3
#21: San Diego State (10-2) +3
#22: Washington State (9-3) -6
#23: Northwestern (9-3) +2
#24: Michigan State (9-3) NEW
#25: Fresno State (9-3) NEW

Old 11-26-2017, 04:49 AM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Barrett is horrible. Almost as bad as Alabama's QB, and they don't have another Zeke to carry them through (literally).
It amazes me some times those programs still have been what they have been the past couple of years with those two quarterbacks. Alabama's QB is just terrible every time I see him play. I know its all about the spread offense nowadays, but come on, as some point you have to be able to throw the ball down the field and read coverages some what. With the massive talent Saban has accumulated annually at Alabama, this is the best he can do at QB?

Old 11-26-2017, 05:00 AM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

My rankings:
#1 Clemson
#2 Oklahoma
#3 Auburn
#4 Wisconsin
-------------
#5 Alabama
#6 Georgia
#7 Ohio State
#8 Miami.

Fairly easy top 6 for me.
I didn't see Clemson play last night, but I haven't been overly impressed the last six weeks or so when I have seen them. The best teams in the game the past month imo have been Wisconsin and Auburn. I think too Wisconsin is being under-appreciated based on schedule alone, and probably will be a fairly big underdog vs Ohio State, but I think the Badgers win going away. I have to look at the body of work though and at least put Clemson ahead of Auburn due to beating them head-to-head (no matter how long ago) and having one less loss.
I'd personally go..
#1 Wisconsin (I know it won't be the case when they release the rankings Tuesday, and yeah they haven't beaten anyone better than Michigan, but doesn't mean they can't be the best team)
#2 Clemson
#3 Auburn
#4 Oklahoma (I don't forget their bumps in the road for a while after they beat Ohio St, and I still think their defense stinks)
#5 Georgia
#6 Alabama
#7 Miami

Those are the seven alive and the fun thing about the way this panned out, except Alabama, everybody should control their own destiny next weekend. While likely if any one loses next weekend, they are probably out UNLESS of course multiple teams loses- for example, Oklahoma and Wisconsin both lose, but so does Clemson, then Clemson likely stays in the top four.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:36 AM

28,249 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Still don't get the Ohio State discussion and that angle. They are not getting in the playoff, nor should they. Ahead in the pecking order: Auburn-Georgia winner, Clemson-Miami winner, Oklahoma EVEN IF THEY LOSE to TCU, and Alabama (and yes I don't lose sight that their best win is vs Miss State). Not saying Oklahoma is getting in if they lose, nor Alabama. But how can Ohio State leapfrog those four teams minimum? Winning the conference championship game? That's apples and oranges (comparing one team winning a conference championship and another in a different conference not winning one) and shouldn't be a precursor to making the playoff- its about the four best teams. What's this nonsense about somehow this being the NCAA tourney and getting in automatically if you win the conference championship despite not being one of the 68 best? That's obviously not how it works in college football, but listening to Gary Danielson on the CBS broadcast, you'd almost be led to believe otherwise.
And wouldn't you know it, the committee made that clear last year when Ohio State themselves got in without getting to the conference championship game and despite losing to the team that did win the Big 10, but didn't get in. Ohio State got whipped by Oklahoma at home and mauled by an average Iowa team, not to mention not being the better team most of the day vs Penn State. I understand the case for them last year, but if they get in this year, there is some serious bias in that selection room. I don't care how impressive they look next week vs Wisconsin. Of course if Wisconsin beats them, then forget I even brought this topic up.
Agree with everything you wrote. It definitely seems like they are making rules up as they go in an effort to get OSU into the Playoff.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:50 AM

28,249 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Because ND has a huge following on the East Coast and in Chicago. They probably have the largest nationwide following of any team. There's nothing more the Playoff Committee would want than some combination of ND, OSU/Mich, USC and Alabama/Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or