U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 05:01 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
It doesn't matter to me if Auburn or Wisconsin have no quality road wins. This again is just my two cents on who I think currently are the best two teams right now regardless of computer numbers, who beat who head-to-head, etc...
Ok, I was surprised you said Clemson didn't look good though.

Wisconsin is ranked 98th in passing yards despite paying weaker competition than Clemson.

Clemson is ranked 9th in pass defense.

It isn't a good matchup on paper for Wisconsin.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:25 PM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, I was surprised you said Clemson didn't look good though.

Wisconsin is ranked 98th in passing yards despite paying weaker competition than Clemson.

Clemson is ranked 9th in pass defense.

It isn't a good matchup on paper for Wisconsin.
Again, I didn't see them last night, I admit that. Did see them versus NC State and Florida State and wasn't as impressed as earlier in the season. But we'll see. I thought they were vastly overrated much of last season, and of course we know how that panned out.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:29 PM

Ok, surprised somebody would be impressed by Wisconsin this year but not impressed by Clemson last year. In the loss to Pitt last year, Watson had 580 yards passing.

I believe Clemson beat FSU this year by a wider margin than any other team, and that team has more NFL talent than most teams. Clemson shut down FSU's running game.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:36 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times
If my memory serves me right, Clemson barely hung on to just about every game throughout the year, then lost to a bad Pitt team. There were a lot of parallels to 2014 FSU -- who barely won their games, then got crushed in the playoffs. Clemson managed to turn things around come playoff time. I am impressed by them this year.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
If my memory serves me right, Clemson barely hung on to just about every game throughout the year, then lost to a bad Pitt team. There were a lot of parallels to 2014 FSU -- who barely won their games, then got crushed in the playoffs. Clemson managed to turn things around come playoff time. I am impressed by them this year.
Pitt wasn't bad, one of the highest scoring offenses last year, with a NFL QB and NFB RB. They also beat Penn State last year. They got several questionable calls on 3rd and long passes against Clemson, and despite 580 yards passing, Watson threw an interception late in the game in the endzone that was run back to set up a Pitt TD. Clemson should have just ran it there and kicked a FG if didn't get it.

Clemson had a lot of turnovers last year in games with teams with good offenses, like Louisville and NC State. It had 5 turnovers against Lville which allowed Lville to have 100 snaps on offense, and Clemson still won the game.

In the NCSU game, Clemson's NFL RB was knocked out early in the game on what should have been a targeting call. Clemson had 4 turnovers including one by a backup RB, and still won the game. NCSU has a NFL QB and they had a NFL RB last year, Dayes.

If Clemson was playing Indiana, Illinois type of teams every week, it would be a blowout every week. Clemson plays tough competition every year.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:50 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
Good god, Tennessee...I don't see how Currie survives this.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Pitt wasn't bad, one of the highest scoring offenses last year, with a NFL QB and NFB RB. They also beat Penn State last year. They got several questionable calls on 3rd and long passes against Clemson, and despite 580 yards passing, Watson threw an interception late in the game in the endzone that was run back to set up a Pitt TD. Clemson should have just ran it there and kicked a FG if didn't get it.

Clemson had a lot of turnovers last year in games with teams with good offenses, like Louisville and NC State. It had 5 turnovers against Lville which allowed Lville to have 100 snaps on offense, and Clemson still won the game.

In the NCSU game, Clemson's NFL RB was knocked out early in the game on what should have been a targeting call. Clemson had 4 turnovers including one by a backup RB, and still won the game. NCSU has a NFL QB and they had a NFL RB last year, Dayes.

If Clemson was playing Indiana, Illinois type of teams every week, it would be a blowout every week. Clemson plays tough competition every year.
I don't know how the topic spilled into last year's Clemson team vs this year's Wisconsin team. But in any event, too much in the way of ifs, ands, and buts and how all these opponents had this NFL player, and that NFL player. UConn has had starters at the next level, so who cares. Bottom line: NC State stunk last year. Yet they were a chip-shot field goal away from winning at Clemson. Clemson had to rely on a missed fg, and didn't make a play- the kicker just choked- probably saved them from not making the playoff. Ultimately they wound up the best team and earned their stripes when it counted- and I'm glad they buried Ohio State and humbled Alabama along the way.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Man that is nuts how quickly all this unfolded! I had no idea Greg Schiano was part of the whole Sandusky probe to begin with. I just remembered his success at Rutgers and being a hard-nosed guy at Tampa Bay, so hard nosed, that Tom Coughlin gave him a piece of his mind in the post game handshake. My first thought was that, shouldn't Ohio State then have something to answer to then all this time? Well as it turns out, I just did some of my own research and all I'm reading is heresay. Could be some Tennessee fans just want a different head coach.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 11-26-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 08:27 PM

5,449 posts, read 2,292,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
I kind of have a theory. Teams that dismiss coaches run the risk of long years in the wilderness. Tennessee is Exhibit A. They fired Fulmer and have never recovered from it with one bad coaching hire after another. As a result, a once-proud program has slid into complete irrelevance.

Personally, I think LSU will likely go through the same thing. Hey, Tennessee had a decent year in 2008, the year after they fired Phil. But then the slide began.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I don't know how the topic spilled into last year's Clemson team vs this year's Wisconsin team. But in any event, too much in the way of ifs, ands, and buts and how all these opponents had this NFL player, and that NFL player. UConn has had starters at the next level, so who cares. Bottom line: NC State stunk last year. Yet they were a chip-shot field goal away from winning at Clemson. Clemson had to rely on a missed fg, and didn't make a play- the kicker just choked- probably saved them from not making the playoff. Ultimately they wound up the best team and earned their stripes when it counted- and I'm glad they buried Ohio State and humbled Alabama along the way.
Clemson had 4 turnovers in the game, and they knocked out our starting RB on a targeting. So if you are saying NCSU should have won but they missed the FG, Clemson can say the came would not have been tied if not for one of those 4 turnovers. Both teams had miscues in the game. Their FG kicker wasn't any good so he didn't choke. He was like 30 percent on the season. His previous FG attempt had been blocked. Kicking FGs is part of the game.

Moreover, if you believe NCSU was the better team last year, why couldn't they pull out the win in overtime? The missed FG didn't lose them the game. They lost in overtime on an interception in the end zone.

Wisconsin hasn't played anybody this year but you are talking about how they look better than Clemson, and how last year's Clemson team with Deshaun Watson looked 'vastly overrated'. Wisconsin has a pretty bad QB and its pass offense is ranked 98th. And that's playing bad competition, with all road games against teams with losing records. Wisconsin is most likely going to lose to OSU by 14 plus.

I'm assuming you are a Wisconsin fan. I think NCSU last year would beat Wisconsin this year. I don't think the Big 10 has the kind of athletes that ACC and SEC have.

I think Central Florida, South Florida and Memphis would all beat Wisconsin handily.

Northwestern appears to be Wisconsin's best win, and NW lost 41-17 to Duke, which is one of the worst teams in the ACC this year.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-26-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or