U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 11:56 AM

929 posts, read 300,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Prior to Schiano, Rutgers had never won a bowl game and only had a single bowl appearance. They went to 6 bowl games and won 5 of them under Schiano. The program also had 6 winning season in Schiano's last 7 years. His tenure also produce some decent NFL talent - Ray Rice, Jason McCourty, Devin McCourty, Logan Ryan, Kenny Britt and Mohamed Sanu among others. I am not saying he lit the world on fire, but we're also talking about Rutgers here.
Exactly. Maybe he wouldn't have succeeded at Tennessee. But I am surprised to hear all these jokes this morning about what Tennessee could have possibly been thinking. One commentator gave even about the most hollow and superficial reason that was so absurd, I thought for sure he was being facetious: because the Ohio State defense gave up 55 points to Iowa; yes one game as a defensive coordinator, that somehow was his lone supporting evidence. What happened during Schiano's tenure at Rutgers was borderline miraculous.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM

3,193 posts, read 6,362,283 times
Basing a hire/fire on a deposition transcript testimony of an assistant coach at Penn State. Isn't that hearsay? Schiano was never in any way, implicated in the Sandusky crimes! The DAs went hard, I mean hard, at anyone who they thought had any type of connections! Schiano was at Tampa Bay and is now at Ohio State! Both an NFL franchise and major college program decided to not base their hire on a deposition. But Tennessee does such! Interesting.....!

Oh, yeah, Mike Leach has another job, at Wazzou, despite putting Adam James in the electric room. But the Bucs going after Eli's knees also warrants a no-hire! Also interesting.....!

Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM

3,193 posts, read 6,362,283 times
Very interesting UT is not even taking a look at one of its own: USC OC Tee Martin. The man who QB's the Vols to its 1998 National Championship!

Old 11-27-2017, 01:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,327,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Prior to Schiano, Rutgers had never won a bowl game and only had a single bowl appearance. They went to 6 bowl games and won 5 of them under Schiano. The program also had 6 winning season in Schiano's last 7 years. His tenure also produce some decent NFL talent - Ray Rice, Jason McCourty, Devin McCourty, Logan Ryan, Kenny Britt and Mohamed Sanu among others. I am not saying he lit the world on fire, but we're also talking about Rutgers here.
UT's loss.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:17 PM

7,962 posts, read 4,101,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
For the record, the Clemson-OSU game got out of hand quickly because OSU missed 2 easy field goals at the beginning and Barrett couldn't complete anything. I agree Wisconsin wouldn't stand a chance in a matchup, though I'm not sure that game was totally representative of Clemson vs. <big 10 champ>.
So if OSU misses FGs and Barret struggles, it is not representative of the Big 10?

Watson didn't have a great game passing in that one, and threw 2 interceptions. Clemson also missed a FG.

The issue in that game is OSU couldn't rush on Clemson or stop Clemson's rush. Barrett had 11 carries for -2 yards, and the team only had 88 total yards rushing. Clemson was over 200 yards rushing and dominated time of possession.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-27-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,520,474 times
No, the reason they lost is Barrett couldn't complete any passes. When you know their QB can't throw the ball, you focus on stopping their run. Then the defense gets tired because their offense keeps going 3-and-out and they start giving up tons of rush yards. It's a vicious cycle. I'm saying a 30+ point difference is a bit of an exaggeration of the expectation for SEC/ACC vs. Big-10 (as was 38-0 Bama over MSU).

Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM

7,962 posts, read 4,101,242 times
He couldn't complete passes because of Clemson's defense. You are acting like WRs were open all night.

How many defenses have held Barrett to -2 rushing yards in the Big 10? He's never been a great passer. Every defense is wanting to force him to throw it.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 PM

23,672 posts, read 33,562,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Basing a hire/fire on a deposition transcript testimony of an assistant coach at Penn State. Isn't that hearsay? Schiano was never in any way, implicated in the Sandusky crimes! The DAs went hard, I mean hard, at anyone who they thought had any type of connections! Schiano was at Tampa Bay and is now at Ohio State! Both an NFL franchise and major college program decided to not base their hire on a deposition. But Tennessee does such! Interesting.....!

Oh, yeah, Mike Leach has another job, at Wazzou, despite putting Adam James in the electric room. But the Bucs going after Eli's knees also warrants a no-hire! Also interesting.....!
This should be frightening to everyone. A man lost a job over one person's hearsay in regards to only WITNESSING a crime he did not commit, which is extremely debateable even happened. Not to make light of what happened at Penn State (to this day, that was a death penalty crime in my eyes) but we are going in a deadly direction IMO when people start to lose their livelihoods with only hearsay of ONE person and no due process.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:25 PM

5,556 posts, read 2,355,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This should be frightening to everyone. A man lost a job over one person's hearsay in regards to only WITNESSING a crime he did not commit, which is extremely debateable even happened. Not to make light of what happened at Penn State (to this day, that was a death penalty crime in my eyes) but we are going in a deadly direction IMO when people start to lose their livelihoods with only hearsay of ONE person and no due process.
It's the power of the mob. Schiano pulled off a near miracle at Rutgers. And if there's ever a big-time program calling out for CPR, it's Tennessee (And, to be truthful, Nebraska). Yet this guy will likely never work again at the HC level because of a digital lynch mob, despite the fact that he was investigated by three previous employers and found blameless.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,327,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's the power of the mob. Schiano pulled off a near miracle at Rutgers. And if there's ever a big-time program calling out for CPR, it's Tennessee (And, to be truthful, Nebraska). Yet this guy will likely never work again at the HC level because of a digital lynch mob, despite the fact that he was investigated by three previous employers and found blameless.
He'll get a HC job, just not a top tier type job. I'd like to see UCF hire him after Frost goes to Nebraska.
But he'll need an OC that can keep the high octane offense going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or