U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,861 times
Reputation: 1243

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The loser of Georgia Auburn WILL NOT make the top 4. It may look that way with Auburn, but I'm, sorry you can't take a 3 loss team even if the loss is 2-0 on a safety, and obviously Georgia, already out of the top 4, wouldn't climb to the top 4 with a loss.

I think the more interesting debate, one which no one is talking about is what happens if Clemson loses a close game (let's say a Miami field goal as the clock strikes 0:00), & Ohio State beats Wisconsin by 20+ points. To me it's not much of a debate; Clemson in over BOTH Alabama & Ohio State as the 4th team and really it shouldn't be close. Clemson lost by 3 on the road to a 5-7 team with their starting QB hurt half the game; Ohio State lost on the road to a 7-5 team by about 25 points with their starting QB playing the entire game. Get them out of here!
One team ends with a big win over an undefeated Power 5 team and the other team stumbles with a loss and has no conference championship.


There is no head to head.
There is no common opponent.
Clemson would have no conference championship yet they are up against a team that has one for the final spot.
As you point out one loss is to team with a 5-7 record.
Both teams would have 2 losses.
I give Clemson edge on depth of schedule (they played more decent teams than OSU) and they would likely have best win, but OSU would have the next two best wins PSU and MSU.


Clemson IMO would have to light the world on fire in the final 5-6 weeks and then have a fluky FG loss to Miami (who really could have 3-4 loses on the year) to even entertain this idea. After that Syracuse loss has Clemson really gone out and dominated teams?

 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
All this banter against OSU is uncalled for. Their current ranking leads you to believe they are not in, no matter what. So I am confused why your worried. It's obvious, our season goal ended with the embarrassing loss to Iowa. Alabama and OSU don't deserve it this year, both teams are good but not top 4 good. And this is a buckeye fan talking. But i do pray for another osu and bama matchup!!!
Yeah, you say that as a Buckeye fan. I know OSU fans like to think the powers-that-be are stacked against them, but much of the nation sees them as part of the College Football Establishment. OSU is the football equivalent of UNC basketball. They are a perennial media darling and the "powers that be" will make special rules for them and give them the benefit of the doubt in instances where they wouldn't do it for other programs. Perhaps only Notre Dame is worse in this regard. OSU, ND, Michigan and USC are college football's equivalent of UNC, Duke, Kentucky and UCLA in college basketball.

So no, I wouldn't be surprised if OSU gets in. Their two bad losses will be dismissed and the arguments will become about the quality of their wins and geographic representation being good for the sport.
 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wouldn't make that argument. Alabama had a weak schedule, but leaving them out and putting Ohio State in? Nope. I don't think either get in and I'm OK with that. But there's no way that Ohio State should get in and Alabama is left at home.
Sure, I'd make that argument because Penn State had a better argument to be in the Playoff last year than OSU does this year. PSU beat OSU head to head and won their conference. But the media said that didn't matter because PSU had one more loss and had a particularly bad loss to Michigan. Here we are a year later and OSU *might* have a conference championship with two bad losses. And all of the arguments used to keep PSU out--a team that had already beaten them head to head--no longer apply. Special rules for special programs.
 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:20 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,181 times
Reputation: 10
Those are great teams, but where is Syracuse in all of this That's my Team. But none the less those are good teams for the top 25.
 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
But conference championship doesn't lie.
Clearly the conference championship lied last year because PSU was home with the rest of us watching OSU lose 31-0.

If we are to assume that a conference champion is the best team in the conference, then there should be no way the conference champ doesn't make it into the playoff while a team in the same conference does. This should especially be the case when the conference champion owns the head to head against the other team.

I don't remember you spouting the "conference championship doesn't lie" line last year though. If a conference championship didn't carry that much weight in 2016, why should it all of a sudden be so important in 2017?
 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,861 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, you say that as a Buckeye fan. I know OSU fans like to think the powers-that-be are stacked against them, but much of the nation sees them as part of the College Football Establishment. OSU is the football equivalent of UNC basketball. They are a perennial media darling and the "powers that be" will make special rules for them and give them the benefit of the doubt in instances where they wouldn't do it for other programs. Perhaps only Notre Dame is worse in this regard. OSU, ND, Michigan and USC are college football's equivalent of UNC, Duke, Kentucky and UCLA in college basketball.

So no, I wouldn't be surprised if OSU gets in. Their two bad losses will be dismissed and the arguments will become about the quality of their wins and geographic representation being good for the sport.
Not at all. Again. OSU made their bed.


A Conference Championship and beating three top 16 teams would normally do it.


This is more of debate between the powers- Alabama vs. Ohio State for a final spot.


I think more folks should challenge the notion that the SEC is not the typically strong SEC this year as evidenced by the mass exodus of coaches and struggling programs this season. So I don't agree with two teams going in from that conference. I believe the PAC12 played themselves out of the equation, which leaves 1 ACC/1 SEC/(I believe regardless of the result 1 BigXII/ and a choice between another ACC team (Clemson), Oklahoma if they lose, or Ohio State if they win.


The debate IMO is Clemson (should they lose)/Oklahoma (should they lose)/Ohio St. (should they win).
 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:47 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,861 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Clearly the conference championship lied last year because PSU was home with the rest of us watching OSU lose 31-0.

If we are to assume that a conference champion is the best team in the conference, then there should be no way the conference champ doesn't make it into the playoff while a team in the same conference does. This should especially be the case when the conference champion owns the head to head against the other team.

I don't remember you spouting the "conference championship doesn't lie" line last year though. If a conference championship didn't carry that much weight in 2016, why should it all of a sudden be so important in 2017?
I was comparing resumes of Clemson and Ohio State (Both would have 2 LOSSES)
 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times
Reputation: 12197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Clemson IMO would have to light the world on fire in the final 5-6 weeks and then have a fluky FG loss to Miami (who really could have 3-4 loses on the year) to even entertain this idea. After that Syracuse loss has Clemson really gone out and dominated teams?

That "Could have 3-4 losses" could very well apply to Clemson last year.

I have to keep reminding myself of this, because when I compare the 2015, 2016 and 2017 Clemson teams.. That '15 team was the best team, even though they didn't win the championship. I don't think the '16 or '17 teams came close to them.
 
Old 11-30-2017, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
A Conference Championship and beating three top 16 teams would normally do it.
Sure, if said team doesn't have two losses coming by blowout.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvubu3oN1o

This would be a bad look for CFB imo. It's one thing to have an off day and lose a tight game and another thing to get curbstomped not once, but twice. To be able to play for a title, there shouldn't be a single team in the country that can say they ate your lunch. In Ohio State's case, there are two teams that can say that.
 
Old 11-30-2017, 10:08 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 1,776,861 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sure, if said team doesn't have two losses coming by blowout.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvubu3oN1o

This would be a bad look for CFB imo. It's one thing to have an off day and lose a tight game and another thing to get curbstomped not once, but twice. To be able to play for a title, there shouldn't be a single team in the country that can say they ate your lunch. In Ohio State's case, there are two teams that can say that.
As opposed to not playing for championship this week and your best win is against LSU which lost to Troy?

Cherry pick all you want...but OSU could have THREE wins that are deemed better than Alabamas best win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top