U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 08:26 AM

28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
After last year and this year (I am assuming Alabama gets in), a team should need to win their conference to be considered. This situation just proves that they need to expand the playoff to 8 teams.
Agreed with the first part. I'd limit to only 6 teams, however. The winner of the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC get automatic berths. Then have one wildcard slot so we can preserve the illusion of meritocracy in college football.

This is the cleanest system, I think. All the Power 5 teams get in. It's 100% objective. Win your conference or shut up. The final slot should be for independents/other conference champions. I don't mind a more subjective type of analysis in choosing for this final slot since this team is not going to realistically win anyway.

This is the only way to eliminate all of the drama IMO. We don't hear Giants fans saying "b-b-but we beat the Eagles and we had a better record overall and they lost at home on Thanksgiving we deserve to be in waaaah, waaaaaah, waaaaaaaah!" The ground rules are clear and if you don't make it it's nobody's fault but your own.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 AM

27,417 posts, read 15,833,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Agreed with the first part. I'd limit to only 6 teams, however. The winner of the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC get automatic berths. Then have one wildcard slot so we can preserve the illusion of meritocracy in college football.

This is the cleanest system, I think. All the Power 5 teams get in. It's 100% objective. Win your conference or shut up. The final slot should be for independents/other conference champions. I don't mind a more subjective type of analysis in choosing for this final slot since this team is not going to realistically win anyway.

This is the only way to eliminate all of the drama IMO. We don't hear Giants fans saying "b-b-but we beat the Eagles and we had a better record overall and they lost at home on Thanksgiving we deserve to be in waaaah, waaaaaah, waaaaaaaah!" The ground rules are clear and if you don't make it it's nobody's fault but your own.
I think the problem with a 6 team playoff is the bye week for the top two teams. Yes the pros have it but even I don't really like it. I don't like the play-in games either

Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Since we're all allowed an opinion, here's my Final Top Four.
Every team is from a different conference.
We will now have our first 2 loss team.
Eliminate the Ohio State / Alabama controversy.

1. Clemson (ACC)
2. Oklahoma (Big 12)
3. Georgia (SEC)
4. USC (Pac 12)
I wouldn't mind that simply for the sake of having some damn diversity. It's not good the for the game to have the same teams in year after year. Who really wants to see another Bama-Clemson game? Enough of that.

USC has a snowball's chance in hell of making it but they'd be a welcome relief to the monotony of the CFP so far. OSU fans couldn't be too mad because their resumes aren't that different. At this point, I think OSU gets in because of the B1G title and the lack of impressive wins on Alabama's resume, but the reality is that neither really deserve to be there.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the problem with a 6 team playoff is the bye week for the top two teams. Yes the pros have it but even I don't really like it. I don't like the play-in games either
I don't mind that at all. If you are good enough to be one of the top seeds, then you deserve it. We all knew the rules coming in. Nobody gets mad when Tom Brady gets to chill at home while the Vikings play a wildcard game.

I don't like the conference champs + 3 other team system because you still end up with the same problem. The #9 team will be saying, 'Yeah, b-b-but, they lost to Michigan who lost to Purdue who lost to Serena Williams in table tennis." It doesn't solve anything and you'll still have fanbases complaining and moaning about being excluded from the Top 8 just like we have fanbases complaining and moaning about being excluded from the Top 4. When they introduced the Playoff concept a few years ago, I said the only thing they did was stop 2 more teams from whining at the end of the season. It's a better system than the one it replaced but barely.

"Conference champ" is a simple rule. Completely objective and there's no need to get into this discussion of who the "best" team is.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM

27,417 posts, read 15,833,777 times
Quote:
I don't mind that at all. If you are good enough to be one of the top seeds, then you deserve it. We all knew the rules coming in. Nobody gets mad when Tom Brady gets to chill at home while the Vikings play a wildcard game.

I don't like the conference champs + 3 other team system because you still end up with the same problem. The #9 team will be saying, 'Yeah, b-b-but, they lost to Michigan who lost to Purdue who lost to Serena Williams in table tennis." It doesn't solve anything and you'll still have fanbases complaining and moaning about being excluded from the Top 8 just like we have fanbases complaining and moaning about being excluded from the Top 4. When they introduced the Playoff concept a few years ago, I said the only thing they did was stop 2 more teams from whining at the end of the season. It's a better system than the one it replaced but barely.

"Conference champ" is a simple rule. Completely objective and there's no need to get into this discussion of who the "best" team is.
To the fact of the 1 at large, that can also open up to the buts from the fans or coaches of the 7/8/9 teams especially if it was a close conference game. The only savior is the Big 12 co -champs scenario that screwed Baylor the first year of the playoffs. My best idea is the four best conference champions go on if you aren't going to expand to eight teams. I mean this year if USC goes in Ohio fans have some serious "Yeah but" motive. Bama since they got eliminated durong rivalry week to cap off a (for them) bad season.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:30 AM

580 posts, read 377,524 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind that simply for the sake of having some damn diversity. It's not good the for the game to have the same teams in year after year. Who really wants to see another Bama-Clemson game? Enough of that.

USC has a snowball's chance in hell of making it but they'd be a welcome relief to the monotony of the CFP so far. OSU fans couldn't be too mad because their resumes aren't that different. At this point, I think OSU gets in because of the B1G title and the lack of impressive wins on Alabama's resume, but the reality is that neither really deserve to be there.
After last year, who really wants to see another OSU-Clemson game?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:31 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,123,835 times
Quote:

Let's crap all over simplicity.

Take this year. Let's say that Auburn and Alabama were undefeated going in to the Iron Bowl.

Alabama beats Auburn.

You're saying that there would be no argument that Auburn should be in? That Auburn SHOULDN'T be in? At that point, they would have beaten a #3 and #1 team and wins over 1 other ranked team (Mississippi State)

You can call it black and white and simple.. It's just the opposite side of the same coin that we're looking at now.

Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in. That Iowa loss keeps them out. If that had been a 3 point loss or a close game.. I'm with them, but.. It wasn't, and I'm not.

Alabama doesn't really deserve to be in based on the schedule, but they deserve it more than OSU.

And I don't think we can argue that those 5 teams are the only ones who really deserve consideration. A case could perhaps be made for USC, but that destruction to ND keeps them out. And Wisconsin an argument could be made since it was a decently close game, but what I saw of it (Was watching the decimation of Miami) the Wisconsin offense looked awful and their SoS is just so poor.

I have little to no question that the top 4 are Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama. We'll find out in 30 minutes the order.. I kinda hope that Georgia is ranked #4 because that at least gives us the chance of NOT seeing Clemson-Alabama again.

Alabama should consider themselves lucky.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:48 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,506,707 times
Penn State was in THIS SAME EXACT SITUATION last year.... a 2 loss team playing in the big 10 title game that was outside the top 4. Even though they won the game they didn't jump Ohio State (a team they beat head-to-head) and Ohio State made the field. Without head-to-head to go on, you take the better team....and the eye test shows Alabama is the better team in EVERY aspect: Less losses, more wins against teams with winning records and more wins against teams going to bowl games. The best win belongs to Ohio State (over Penn State which they trailed for most of which should be taken into account) but that should be negated by the 30 point loss to a 7-5 team. Alabama lost by 12 to a 10-3 team.

Ohio State fans last year: "We were the better team then Penn State was, plus Penn State lost by 39 points at Michigan which should automatically disqualify from playoff discussion."
Ohio State fans this year: "We won our division and conference unlike Alabama which won neither."

Can't have it both ways!

Plus, the committee has already set the precedent of taking a non-conference champ with the Ohio State selection last year. If conference titles were really the "end all be all" Penn State would have been in last year. If Ohio State had beaten Oklahoma or Iowa I'd really have no problem taking the Buckeyes. Ok, you did lose by 31 points to Iowa, but you have a win over a top 2 or 3 team. OK, you lost to Oklahoma, but you beat Iowa, finished the regular season 11-1 and won the conference. Fine to put them in.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:02 AM

929 posts, read 298,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Alabama being among the top four teams is an ESPN agenda. First, Alabama has not made a case to qualify this season. They did not win the Southeastern Conference championship. They did not win the SEC West. Second, ESPN has directional issues. Its ratings are down. Its programming is lame. Constantly promoting Alabama has ran its course.
There is no more an Alabama agenda than a Ohio State agenda. The agenda tilts towards Ohio St in this case based on outlets such as ESPN needing to drum up ratings with talking points about subjects that merit very little debate. Nothing Ohio State did yesterday changes the reality of two non-competitive performances, including one embarrassing display against an average team.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times
What's up with ESPN having Saban campaigning for his team? They had him on Game Day and then last night on Sportscenter campaigning again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or