U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,921,009 times

Advertisements

oklahoma is going to destroy georgia. georgia has not faced a good QB all year, and their quarterback is horrible.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,294,635 times
You know, Auburn fan here. I'd rather not see Alabama in, but who could the committee realistically pick for the #4 spot?

Ohio State? Not only did they lose two in the regular season, but were positively boat raced by Iowa. In the playoffs last year, Ohio State looked like totally outclassed.

Wisconsin? Didn't look impressive at all.

Auburn? Hey, I'll cop a plea. Even though we beat two #1 teams in three weeks, we lost two games in the regular season and looked as if we quit at halftime against Georgia. Fun fact: Auburn is the only team to have played all four CFB playoff during the calendar year. We lost to Okie in the Sugar Bowl last season. This year, we lost to Clemson, beat Georgia, beat Alabama, then lost to Georgia. At least no one can complain about our strength of schedule.

Miami? Lost to Pitt and was totally hammered by Clemson.

USC? But are they better than Alabama?

UCF? Going undefeated should be rewarded. But the competition wasn't very stiff.

So we're stuck with Alabama.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:23 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Georgia beat Auburn by 21 and Bama lost to Auburn the week earlier by 12. That'a the most direct and convincing common opponent argument one can make
And 2 weeks before that, Auburn beat Georgia by 23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot can change with a month of rest, practice and scouting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
Alabama will win it all now.

All the drama to get in the playoffs will cause the players to focus harder. Alabama will beat Clemson by 21. Georgia will slow down Oklahoma and plus Mayfield will have the Heisman curse. Alabama and Georgia title game will be close, but Alabama still wins.
Said everyone the past 2 years. One where Alabama was lucky to win and one where they didn't.

Here's the focus.. Clemson will take away the run, again, and will force Jalen Hurts to win the game with his arm, which he has not proven that he can do.

The only concern I'd have with Clemson winning would be that this offense doesn't appear to be built for a shootout. If the game does turn into that, which the last 2 Clemson - Alabama meetings have.. I don't know that they can keep up.

The defense has been so good, however, that there haven't been any shootouts, other than the NC State game.

Clemson wore down Alabama's defense last year. And they're built even better to do that this year on the ground. 4 different running backs, 6 if you count Ray-Ray McCloud and Bryant.

Quarterback is the weak spot of both Alabama and Clemson's offense. That should be a hell of alot scarier to opponents of Clemson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Clemson’s D is better than either the ‘15 or ‘16 squad, and Bama is not as good. Dabo has proven that he is at least as good as Saban at preparation for the big game. Bet against the Tigers at your own peril...
Clemson feeds on it. They've been the underdog in 7 bowl games under Dabo.. Their record in those games? 6-1. The loss being to Alabama where they still beat the spread.

Clemson has hung 75 points in the past 2 games on the vaunted Alabama defense.

Yes, please, everyone give Clemson no chance. Keep feeding them motivation.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:26 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
Alabama will win it all now.

All the drama to get in the playoffs will cause the players to focus harder. Alabama will beat Clemson by 21. Georgia will slow down Oklahoma and plus Mayfield will have the Heisman curse. Alabama and Georgia title game will be close, but Alabama still wins.
I think Oklahoma is likely to blow out Georgia. Georgia hasn't seen a passing offense like that this year, and Oklahoma's weakness tends to be its pass defense but I'm not sure UGA's pass offense is good enough to take advantage.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And 2 weeks before that, Auburn beat Georgia by 23.

Said everyone the past 2 years. One where Alabama was lucky to win and one where they didn't.

Here's the focus.. Clemson will take away the run, again, and will force Jalen Hurts to win the game with his arm, which he has not proven that he can do.

The only concern I'd have with Clemson winning would be that this offense doesn't appear to be built for a shootout. If the game does turn into that, which the last 2 Clemson - Alabama meetings have.. I don't know that they can keep up.

The defense has been so good, however, that there haven't been any shootouts, other than the NC State game.

Clemson wore down Alabama's defense last year. And they're built even better to do that this year on the ground. 4 different running backs, 6 if you count Ray-Ray McCloud and Bryant.

Quarterback is the weak spot of both Alabama and Clemson's offense. That should be a hell of alot scarier to opponents of Clemson.

Clemson feeds on it. They've been the underdog in 7 bowl games under Dabo.. Their record in those games? 6-1. The loss being to Alabama where they still beat the spread.

Clemson has hung 75 points in the past 2 games on the vaunted Alabama defense.

Yes, please, everyone give Clemson no chance. Keep feeding them motivation.
I would say QB is one of the top strengths of both teams. QBs that can run put stress on a defense.

Hurts didn't have a great game passing last year but he had won the game on a big rushing TD, 30 plus yards, on a broken play. Alabama's defense lost that game last year. There were only 2 minutes left after Hurts scored.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:38 PM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
UCF had a great season but does anyone really believe they are one of the four best teams in FBS? Perhaps one day everyone who wants more than 4 teams in the CFP will realize that the playoff really starts in November during the regular season and continues through the conference championships...
My point wasn't that UCF deserves to play for a championship. My point was that a group of people meeting to discuss who gets to play for a college basketball championship is not the same as a group of people deciding who gets to play for a football championship because, if anything, the number of teams allowed to play for a basketball championship is overly expansive. No team lower than an 8 seed has ever won the NCAA tournament, which tells us that half of the field is wasting its time, yet they still receive an opportunity to compete for a national title. That's why we generally don't hear many gripes about the NCAA tournament selection committee. Nobody who had a legitimate shot at a title is ever left out.

In college football, there's obviously a much stricter limit on the number of games that can be played--even 3 post season games is starting to push things. So that means you basically can't have more than an 8 team playoff. And if there's no objective criteria by which to select these teams, we're going to continue having the same problem that many people thought would go away with a 4 team playoff. You're still going to have teams with legitimate gripes about being excluded. I mean, does anyone think a 3 loss Auburn team should be ranked above USC and Penn State?

Now if you had a firm rule saying that only conference champions get to play in the CFP, then that cuts down 95% of the whining right there since the rules of the game were clear before we all started. The answer to Alabama would be "you didn't win your conference" and that would be the end of it. The rules were right there for everyone to see.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
https://www.si.com/college-football/...matchups-dates

College Football Playoff and Bowl Schedule: Complete List of All 40 Bowl Games

Old 12-03-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Don't get overconfident. I picked you guys to win last year. I think you are likely to beat Alabama again, but anything can happen in football.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Win or lose against Alabama, Clemson had a great season, and won the regular season by being ranked no.1, while Saban had to rely on the committee to view Bama as better than Ohio State and USC.

I saw Alabama fans say that Bama would be back to playoffs this year but Clemson wouldn't after losing Watson to the NFL. It is cool Clemson ends up ranked no 1 and dominated Miami in a conference title game, while Saban is reduced to groveling on ESPN for a bid while sitting at home this weekend.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:59 PM

https://wtop.com/ncaa-football/2017/...it-to-6-teams/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or