U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-03-2017, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,325 posts, read 11,554,281 times
Reputation: 4319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
ESPN and Alabama disagree with you. ESPN needs the ratings. It operates the SEC Network. It has influence on which four teams participate for the national championship. Alabama is ESPN and the SEC Network's biggest draw for college football.

Nick Saban's interview on ESPN Sunday was slanted toward Alabama. That is no surprise.

Ohio State won a conference championship. Alabama did nothing this season.
1. No one thinks Wisconsin is a great team, the fact that they were ranked #4 and not #1 tells you that.

2.winning a conference championship doesnt make you a great team, by your logic, you actually think UCF is better than Alabama.

 
Old 12-04-2017, 12:17 AM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 2 days ago)
 
1,238 posts, read 584,349 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. No one thinks Wisconsin is a great team, the fact that they were ranked #4 and not #1 tells you that.

2.winning a conference championship doesnt make you a great team, by your logic, you actually think UCF is better than Alabama.
How many L's does AL have compared to UCF? The "tide" didn't even win their division, nevermimd conference. Records should count for something still.
 
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 AM
 
2,057 posts, read 3,156,900 times
Reputation: 980
New Mexico State going to bowl game after 57-year drought
 
Old 12-04-2017, 04:29 AM
 
929 posts, read 297,399 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
ESPN and Alabama disagree with you. ESPN needs the ratings. It operates the SEC Network. It has influence on which four teams participate for the national championship. Alabama is ESPN and the SEC Network's biggest draw for college football.

Nick Saban's interview on ESPN Sunday was slanted toward Alabama. That is no surprise.

Ohio State won a conference championship. Alabama did nothing this season.
Poor Ohio State, getting shafted by the giant media complex (sarcasm inserted). The whole conference championship aspect as has been alluded to by myself and others ad nauseum is a ridiculous rationale; your simply comparing apples to oranges. There are no auto qualifiers unlike the NCAA Tournament. Alabama was deemed "unequivocally better", just like Ohio State was over Penn St last year AND losing to them head to head. Alabama was far ahead in the pecking order for over a month. And a 26-14 loss at Auburn doesn't exactly shake the apples from the trees. So what"s the issue suddenly? Who cares who ESPN put on the air Sunday morning. Simply it's to stir up controversy where there is none. Alabama did do something. They didn't go out and lose by 31 points to an average I-A program.
 
Old 12-04-2017, 04:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,630 posts, read 4,227,315 times
Reputation: 4583
Color me surprised. I felt that Ohio St would get the nod because i felt they were better than Alabama but because history has shown us that Ohio State has always gotten the benefit of the doubt in previous playoff rankings... of course, in previous years they were never pitted against Alabama...

In all fairness, there is no way to know who the better team is without them playing each other.. expand to 8 teams.. of course there is no expansion that would solve all the issues but i certainly hate leaving teams out that would have at least an arguable shot at winning the whole thing..
 
Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,986 posts, read 18,971,742 times
Reputation: 5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. No one thinks Wisconsin is a great team, the fact that they were ranked #4 and not #1 tells you that.

2.winning a conference championship doesnt make you a great team, by your logic, you actually think UCF is better than Alabama.
I have not seen anyone yet come forward thinking Wisconsin is a great team.

Going 11-1 and not winning your conference's division does not make you a great team either. It is what it is.
 
Old 12-04-2017, 07:11 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,986 posts, read 18,971,742 times
Reputation: 5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Poor Ohio State, getting shafted by the giant media complex (sarcasm inserted). The whole conference championship aspect as has been alluded to by myself and others ad nauseum is a ridiculous rationale; your simply comparing apples to oranges. There are no auto qualifiers unlike the NCAA Tournament. Alabama was deemed "unequivocally better", just like Ohio State was over Penn St last year AND losing to them head to head. Alabama was far ahead in the pecking order for over a month. And a 26-14 loss at Auburn doesn't exactly shake the apples from the trees. So what"s the issue suddenly? Who cares who ESPN put on the air Sunday morning. Simply it's to stir up controversy where there is none. Alabama did do something. They didn't go out and lose by 31 points to an average I-A program.
Alabama being unequivocally better than Ohio State is an opinion maintained by ESPN. ESPN controls the College Football Playoff, operates the SEC Network, and rides Alabama to increase low ratings.

Alabama did something indeed. They went 11-1 and did not win their conference division.
 
Old 12-04-2017, 07:31 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,986 posts, read 18,971,742 times
Reputation: 5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Color me surprised. I felt that Ohio St would get the nod because i felt they were better than Alabama but because history has shown us that Ohio State has always gotten the benefit of the doubt in previous playoff rankings... of course, in previous years they were never pitted against Alabama...

In all fairness, there is no way to know who the better team is without them playing each other.. expand to 8 teams.. of course there is no expansion that would solve all the issues but i certainly hate leaving teams out that would have at least an arguable shot at winning the whole thing..
If the College Football Playoff format is going to be improved:
  • Set a specific number of teams and conferences that will be participating in the system. For example, 128 teams would compete in eight 16-team conferences.
  • To qualify for the playoff, a team must win a division in its conference, then win its conference championship.
  • Teams would be seeded on record, point differential, conference record, and head-on-head records.
  • Teams would be reseeded each round after winning their quarterfinal and semifinal games.
 
Old 12-04-2017, 07:32 AM
 
2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Alabama being unequivocally better than Ohio State is an opinion maintained by ESPN. ESPN controls the College Football Playoff, operates the SEC Network, and rides Alabama to increase low ratings.

Alabama did something indeed. They went 11-1 and did not win their conference division.
I've discussed the resumes this past week. I guess I'm on the side of do we know if Alabama is unequivocally better? They are unequivocally better than teams #17 and the rest of their resume lined with teams in 20s-30s-40s, but they are 0-1 against top 10 teams.

I'm an OSU fan, I think the team was wildly inconsistent because of the QB position although The defense was championship caliber- even considering the 55 point outburst in Iowa when the defense was left with countless short fields.


The "unequivocally better" statement was strange given the fact that five days earlier the same Committee Chair made a comment that there was "very little separation in the committee's eyes between teams 5-8". So how does beating a #4 ranked team turn "little separation" into "unequivocally better"? You would have thought it was Alabama beating Auburn 28-7 this past Saturday then I may agree with that transformation in the past five days. I don't think Ohio State made a statement with their performance against Wisconsin, but it didn't seem necessary given the statements made five days prior to the final.


OSU had a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense. Hard to imagine another team is "unequivocally" better.


For all the 8 team expansion people out there. There were arguably 2 maybe 3 championship worthy resumes this selection why add 5 or so fringe teams??? And let's keep the regular season and conference championship week more meaningful.
 
Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,269 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
For all the 8 team expansion people out there. There were arguably 2 maybe 3 championship worthy resumes this selection why add 5 or so fringe teams???
I don't know about 8 teams; 6 teams will do. And we can continue to go by resumes, but then you need to accept that there will continue to be a lot of butthurtness going forward. There's no way to maintain a 4-team playoff without these subjective judgments that are going to leave a lot of people upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top