U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 07:31 PM

929 posts, read 296,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
And USC could beat Alabama or OSU on a given day. Expand the playoff, all conference champions and a couple at large teams and get on with it.
I'm fine with what you propose, but the reason you gave isn't in fact a reason. Iowa could beat Ohio State on a given day. Even Syracuse could beat Clemson on a given day. Color me crazy for suggesting such a thing.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:31 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The problem I have with Alabama's non-conference schedule is that they have stopped playing true non-conference road games. They haven't played one in what, 7 years? Meanwhile Clemson just finished a home-and-home with Auburn. The next 2 years they will be doing a home-and-home with Texas A&M. Ohio State just finished one with Oklahoma. Michigan and Washington have on schedule for 2020 and 2021. Penn State and Auburn have a series scheduled for 2021 and 2022. There are numerous other series already scheduled. Heck even LSU went up to Green Bay last season to play Wisconsin.
I agree that Saban gets an advantage doing that. I think some of those early season games on neutral fields are arranged by bowls, like the FSU matchup this year in Atlanta.

That is the Chick Fil-a Kickoff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A_Kickoff_Game

Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,776,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Alabama played Florida State, and that was a tight game until some special teams miscues. How many teams played Florida State or equivalent out of conference. That's tougher than playing one of those weak Big 10 teams like Indiana and Illinos and Rutgers. Bama also played Fresno State and Colorado State, decent teams. Yet you see people have a singular focus on Mercer.
"Singular focus" sounds like the OSU battle cry. Going to kinnick after the heart pounding game against Penn State.

Bama had some traditional powers on their schedule that went through significant turmoil this year. It was a very strange year for some teams on their schedule.

Many Analyst felt that Bama didn't pass the paper test when compared to OSU. They used the "they look better" test

Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
If the number of playoff teams are increased, there will be even more vicious debates about the last teams selected.

More teams in the playoffs also makes the regular season results less important. In my view, a 1 seed shouldn't have to prove it is better than a 8 seed in a playoff.

If they expand playoffs, I think they need to have byes for the top two teams in the first round. They could go with 6 teams like the NFL with the bye for top two teams. That way it would be possible every year for all P5 conferences to be represented and easier for the Group of 5 conferences to be represented.

In this format, they could also guarantee a spot for the P5 champs, and one at large bid for the best non-conference champ which would reward a team with high SOS.

But moving to a playoff with a bye for the top two teams will lead to vicious debates over what teams are no. 2 and no. 3. That's not an issue right now.

No, if anything it will make it easier. Top 8 (5 conference champs, 3 at large. IF a non p5 is undefeated, they get one of those 3 at large.) Here's what the 5 conference champs would be:
ACC: Clemson
Big 10: Ohio State
Big 12: Oklahoma
Pac 12: USC
SEC: Georgia
Alabama would be one of the 3 at large teams, and UCF, being an undefeated non p5 would be a second so we have 7 of our 8 without any real controversy, and Wisconsin would be your 3rd and final at large team. Really, I don't see much controversy there. Miami would have lost their last 2 regular season games, 1 being to a sub .500 team, and the other getting crushed (and did they end up getting shut out as well??) in their conference title game. Auburn has 3 losses, 1 of which was getting crushed in their conference title game. Penn State?? Please! They were up 2 touchdown's starting the 4th quarter in Columbus. You want to get into the playoffs Penn State?? Hold a double digit lead for 15 minutes against a team that really wasn't that all that great this year. And who else was really in the picture??

Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times
There would definitely be controversy. People would say UCF played a weak schedule, etc. UCF's defense is terrible based on the eye test and points they've given up.

I think most people lobbying for 8 team playoff don't think their program is likely to ever finish in top 4.

I don't see how it is fair to the team that finishes no. 1 after regular season to then have to play a no. 8 team just to be in final 4 of the playoffs. That would be putting the no. 8 on level playing field with no. 1. No advantage would have been gained by being no. 1.

Only format I would be open to is the 6 team one with first round byes for top two seeds, or a play in game for the 4th spot.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:37 AM

23,292 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The problem I have with Alabama's non-conference schedule is that they have stopped playing true non-conference road games. They haven't played one in what, 7 years? Meanwhile Clemson just finished a home-and-home with Auburn. The next 2 years they will be doing a home-and-home with Texas A&M. Ohio State just finished one with Oklahoma. Michigan and Washington have on schedule for 2020 and 2021. Penn State and Auburn have a series scheduled for 2021 and 2022. There are numerous other series already scheduled. Heck even LSU went up to Green Bay last season to play Wisconsin.
Kick off games are money makers, Alabama makes on average about 2 million dollars for playing in them.

Financially, it is smart, as well as playing a quality OOC team on a neutral field.

The argument that you are making that it isnt home and away, is based on personal preference, which doesnt really make sense.

A neutral field is a better measuring stick and comparable to a bowl game, than one team having a huge home field advantage.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:07 AM

23,292 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
How many L's does AL have compared to UCF? The "tide" didn't even win their division, nevermimd conference. Records should count for something still.
If you honestly dont understand the concept of level of competition, say so.

Otherwise, you are actually arguing that record dictates how good a team is.

Thats like saying James Madison is better than Clemson since James Madison is undefeated.

If you argue that James Madison is FCS and there for plays a lower level of competition, then you should understand the same is true of UCF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have not seen anyone yet come forward thinking Wisconsin is a great team.

Going 11-1 and not winning your conference's division does not make you a great team either. It is what it is.
My post doesnt argue that Alabama is great, only that the argument of "the level of Ohio State's competition" based on rankings is a flawed one.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:52 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If you're just going off conference championships, then there is almost no reason to play tough non-conference games. This year, Alabama is kinda proving that point. The fact that they almost didn't make it, hopefully shows that they should schedule tougher non-conference opponents.
That's why you'd have a sixth "wildcard" slot. The P5 champs get automatic berths, but then you'd be able to select the sixth team from mid-major conference champs, independents, or the best non-conference champ. In that event, things like non-conference opponents, margin of victory, # of wins over Top 25 opponents, etc. could all be the tiebreaker.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,033,800 times
Rashaad Penny is the leading Rusher in the nation and didn't get a Heisman invite
Not to worry the last SDSU running back to get Snubbed ended up in the HOF Marshall Faulk.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:12 AM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Rashaad Penny is the leading Rusher in the nation and didn't get a Heisman invite
Not to worry the last SDSU running back to get Snubbed ended up in the HOF Marshall Faulk.
Baker Mayfield is going to win going away, but I agree, Penny should have gotten the invite over Lamar Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or