U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2018, 05:29 AM
 
929 posts, read 296,266 times
Reputation: 799

Advertisements

Conference records in bowl games and in the NCAA Tourney don't mean a lot, as the match-ups are very arbitrary. And in the case of a lot of the bowls, some teams have never had the motivation and passion to go all out. Subjective analysis is more in order for this sort of thing. Also there usually two stories being told. Many times one conference is vastly better than others because of its power at the top, another because of its depth.

 
Old 01-01-2018, 05:30 AM
 
43 posts, read 17,982 times
Reputation: 104
Default What part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I fear you are trolling but in case you arent.


The numbers beside each team in my post as the teams rankings within their own conference.. The point I was making is that only 1 of the 4 was an even match up, and the SEC team prevailed in that 1 match up. In all of the rest, the SEC team was the underdog/Lower ranked team. .

By simply going by record of conference play, and not the quality of opponent , you are arguing a logical fallacy.
The ranking system vs an actual game. Your trying to back your argument with the ranking system which is a weekly discussion by several million people, because of its own corrupt logic. The ranking system is so off, they provide multiple versions of the rankings to iron out the anomalies and still there are areas of interpretation and argument. Bias is a substantial problem. Ok i am done with this discussion
 
Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 AM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,866,693 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your argument doesnt make sense when you look at the numbers


Northwestern (Big 10 #4) beat Kentucky(SEC #7)

Texas(Big 12 #7) beat Missouri( SEC #9)

Wake Forrest( ACC #5) beat Texas AM( SEC #8)

Mississippi State (SEC #6) beat Louisville (ACC #6)
Yeah, but the committee pitted #7 Auburn against #12 UCF, whose best wins were by one touchdown over Texas A&M and Memphis. UCF's recruiting record is pitiful against the top Power 5 conference teams.

If you want fair contests, why wasn't Auburn, which beat both Alabama and Georgia, pitted against Wisconsin or Penn State, let alone Ohio State? Oh yeah, Auburn might have been spanked, blowing the committee's decision to elevate an Alabama team, whose best win was against LSU, based on the final rankings, with not even a division title over Ohio State based on an eye test.

This was a major piece of CYA by the committee.

Oh yeah, and as of this post, NO SEC team has defeated in a bowl game any team ranked in final top 25 by the committee. The Big Ten has defeated teams ranked 8, 10, 11, and 18.

College Football Playoff

Matching Auburn with UCF is an offensive joke given the committee's decision to put Alabama in the play-offs over Ohio State. The committee clearly didn't have the confidence in its Alabama decision to expose it to a test on the playing field against ANY top 10 team.

When the SEC starts playing successfully home-and-away series with the best Big Ten teams, then the SEC can talk about its superiority. College football will be much poorer if in future seasons the PAC-12, Big Ten and Big 12 begin to follow the SEC lead and water down their independent schedules.

When was the last time that Alabama played a highly ranked non-SEC foe on other than an independent field? Pathetic. The committee should not have rewarded Alabama this year for such chicanery if for no other reason than to improve the quality of college football by forcing the SEC to compete on the road against other Power 5 conferences.

Admittedly, the committee punished Ohio State for its inexplicable loss against Iowa (perhaps not so inexplicable when considering that Barrett was playing with a bad knee that required surgery before the Big Ten championship game; the committee considered Alabama's injured linebackers but not Barrett's knee), but effectively rewarded Alabama for its lack of signature victories based on the final rankings and the lack of any championship.

If Georgia and especially Alabama lose today, this will have been the committee's worst performance yet.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 10:55 AM
 
Location: alabama.
2,322 posts, read 1,760,286 times
Reputation: 4700
well .. the weak SEC has teams in ALL FIVE new years day games .. and 2 in the finals ... all you other conferences who can say that raise your hands now please ...
 
Old 01-01-2018, 11:59 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
well .. the weak SEC has teams in ALL FIVE new years day games .. and 2 in the finals ... all you other conferences who can say that raise your hands now please ...
Hey, Hoss... how many do you predict will actually win?
 
Old 01-01-2018, 12:35 PM
 
Location: alabama.
2,322 posts, read 1,760,286 times
Reputation: 4700
i probably have the most confidence in LSU .. i never want cowburn to beat anybody .. south carolina does`nt belong in the game they are in ..i have no feel for bama and georgia ...
 
Old 01-01-2018, 01:23 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i probably have the most confidence in LSU .. i never want cowburn to beat anybody .. south carolina does`nt belong in the game they are in ..i have no feel for bama and georgia ...
Good luck to the SEC, Hoss!
 
Old 01-01-2018, 02:07 PM
 
3,173 posts, read 1,666,729 times
Reputation: 8713
UCF is proving to be the real deal.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Reputation: 11711
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
UCF is proving to be the real deal.
But everyone said they were undeserving of a playoff spot.
 
Old 01-01-2018, 02:20 PM
 
Location: alabama.
2,322 posts, read 1,760,286 times
Reputation: 4700
that notre dame catch just now .. unbelievable .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top