U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2018, 12:44 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Reputation: 1322

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
But now that UCF is on the map, they should probably just join a power 5 conference if another expansion arises. They've proven the ability to compete at that level by far.
It's not that simple... Geographically they only fit the SEC and ACC. And the powers that be (UF and FSU) would never allow UCF into those conferences. So unless the Big12 wants to think outside of the box and expand into the deep south, UCF is pretty much regulated to the American. So that's as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future.

 
Old 01-02-2018, 01:09 AM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,879,187 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are multiple problems with your argument, the main one simply being you dont understand the system.

Bowl tie in's still exist within the frame work of the Committee, they simply shift more. because of the playoff.

hopefully this link will help you. Not everything is a conspiracy theory.


Edit: i cant find the link for this year, but you get the flaw in your argument.




Bowl Selection Process
There was no misunderstanding on my part.

The no. 4 FAQ that you posted contained this sentence:

<<Then, after the contract bowls (Orange) are filled based on conference agreements, the Committee will assign teams to fill the remaining access bowls (Cotton, Fiesta and Peach). >>

The committee consciously assigned Auburn to play UCF in the Peach Bowl.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,544,319 times
Reputation: 4316
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
There was no misunderstanding on my part.

The no. 4 FAQ that you posted contained this sentence:

<<Then, after the contract bowls (Orange) are filled based on conference agreements, the Committee will assign teams to fill the remaining access bowls (Cotton, Fiesta and Peach). >>

The committee consciously assigned Auburn to play UCF in the Peach Bowl.
Obviously you misunderstood as you are still getting it wrong. Further more, Your original argument consisted of far more than "assigned Auburn to play UCF"(specifically Wisconsin and Penn State claims)

This is the actual Bowl picking order


1. Rose Bowl — Big Ten #1 vs. Pac-12 #1
2. Sugar Bowl — SEC #1 vs. Big 12 #1
3. Orange Bowl — ACC #1 vs. SEC #2, Big Ten #2, or Notre Dame
4. Cotton Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
5. Fiesta Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
6. Peach Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)

The Orange Bowl automatically gets the second place ACC team if the first place is in the Playoff.

They also get the highest ranked non champ from the SEC, Big 10, Notre Dame

#6 Wisconsin , #7 Auburn, #14 Notre Dame. So Wisconsin wins that. The only way you can argue against it is if you are trying to claim 3-loss Auburn who lost 28-7 on the same day 1-loss Wisc lost 27-21 was up one spot behind Wisc to create your match up, and im sorry, that just doesnt make sense.

The Orange Bowl does not get to take Ohio State, because the contract specifically says Big 10 #2 .

The Cotton Bowl gets the next selection and unlike the BCS , they get to make both picks at once, and they chose to take the Rose Bowl tie in and have 2 champions. #5 vs #8

That leaves only 2 bowls with the highest ranked teams not having a bowl tie in being #7 Auburn, #8 Penn State, #11 Washington, #12 UCF.

So Auburn and Penn State had a 33% chance of playing each other and didnt because the Committee took geography into consideration.

Like I said, there is no conspiracy theory

Last edited by dsjj251; 01-02-2018 at 02:14 AM..
 
Old 01-02-2018, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,544,319 times
Reputation: 4316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's not that simple... Geographically they only fit the SEC and ACC. And the powers that be (UF and FSU) would never allow UCF into those conferences. So unless the Big12 wants to think outside of the box and expand into the deep south, UCF is pretty much regulated to the American. So that's as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future.
Well......
Big 12 vetoes conference expansion, UCF to stay in AAC - Orlando Sentinel
 
Old 01-02-2018, 02:33 AM
 
929 posts, read 297,063 times
Reputation: 799
Good god; this thread! Nobody actually wants to discuss what happened in the playoff games last night- especially the first game?
 
Old 01-02-2018, 02:41 AM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,022 posts, read 4,527,136 times
Reputation: 2052
Default Am I going to live long enough to NOT see Alabama in the mix for the championship?

So its looking like Alabama is a lock forever to get the best picks nationwide year after year after year. Why should we even watch college football every year. All these teams look so like they have so much promise and then at the end of the year Alabama holds up the trophy. I think I watched the fewest football games this year of any year in the last 40. In the end, its going be Alabama in the top 4...whether they win it or not.
Pro ball is the same. In the End..its usually New England. Im getting to old to keep cheering for teams that never make it. This year I really started liking MLB. At least I get to see a new champ most of the time. This is why I think Football ratings are down...folks are giving up. The College game is rigged where winners keep getting the best players and the rest of the group has to just get lucky enough to make the cut.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 05:33 AM
 
5,469 posts, read 2,306,085 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I lived in Florida for about 14 years in the panhandle and Fort Lauderdale. I watched the local
elite HS football games and learned that the talent pool runs deep. Basically, the elite 3-5 star
athletes usually choose an SEC school in the midst of heavy recruitment. The lower "tier"
athletes (2-3) star go to the "other" in-state schools like UCF, USF, FIU, FAU, etc.

My opinion is that many of the "lower tier" athletes are grossly underestimated. They may be underrated
because they came from low-performing teams, a smaller school, or the teen may have not had a
growth spurt in size and/or strength until college. So, it is not unreasonable to eventually see
in-state "lower tier" schools become formidable like UCF.

The defeat of Auburn was no surprise. UCF has legitimate (though underrated) talent that clearly
is on par with the SEC 4-5 star athletes. The HS "star rankings" are often misleading because the
players are still growing and their HS may just not get the spotlight.

But now that UCF is on the map, they should probably just join a power 5 conference if another
expansion arises. They've proven the ability to compete at that level by far
.
Hey, UCF had a great win. But before you go overboard here, they were 0-12 two years ago and the coach that turned them around is leaving for Nebraska. One season does not make you a perennial contender.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 07:44 AM
 
Location: n/a
1,189 posts, read 802,848 times
Reputation: 1341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Good god; this thread! Nobody actually wants to discuss what happened in the playoff games last night- especially the first game?
This recap does mention Blankenship's field goal (amongst other special teams plays) just before the half as being important.
 
Old 01-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Status: "RIP Solomon Tekah" (set 11 days ago)
 
1,227 posts, read 582,192 times
Reputation: 1188
All SEC, yawn. I'll pass...
 
Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Good god; this thread! Nobody actually wants to discuss what happened in the playoff games last night- especially the first game?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top