U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 11:39 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,767,465 times

Advertisements

they would hate 8 teams even more as auburn would have been in as well ..

Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,892,133 times
Default Florida, UCF claim de facto national championship

<<Gov. Rick Scott, jumping on the crowded UCF bandwagon, issued a proclamation Monday declaring the Knights the true national champions of the 2017 NCAA football season....

Alabama and Georgia are set to play each other Monday night in the official championship game, but that hasn’t stopped UCF and its fans from claiming a national title.

UCF’s perfect 13-0 season ended with a 34-27 victory over the Auburn Tigers in the Peach Bowl on New Year’s Day. Since Auburn was the only team to defeat both Alabama and Georgia during the season, UCF is the best team in the country, administrators and fans argue.>>

Gov. Rick Scott declares UCF national champions - Orlando Sentinel

As noted in other posts, this claim could have been avoided if the play-off committee had scheduled Auburn to play a Big Ten team.

The committee might have egg on its face if Wisconsin or Penn State had defeated Auburn, but not as much as now, since Ohio State did lose to play-off participant Oklahoma.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:02 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,782,984 times
IMO you have to beat somebody to be somebody.

Prior to Auburn game who did UCF actually beat to merit playoff consideration?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:10 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,782,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think Ohio State and most teams in the BIG10 are just as physical as Ala, Ga and most SEC teams... as is Oklahoma.. I think the interest might lie in the styles of these teams. Both Ala and Ga play a more traditional,run 1st oriented offense.. with Ga having explosive RBs that can make it appear to be wide open.. ala Rose Bowl game. I think Ohio State plays a similar style as well so I am not sure that Ohio State vs Ala or Ga would be any more appealing other than regional appeal... the styles are very similar... now Oklahoma opens it up a lot more and looked a lot like Oregon from a few years ago during the 1st half of the Rose Bowl. That certainly is exciting, especially when pitted vs a team like Ga who runs a more traditional offense...

Personally, i don't have to see a 54-48 double overtime thriller to enjoy a football game. I get just as much enjoyment from a 14-10 slug fest but perhaps i am not the norm. That being said, i do expect Ga/Al to be somewhere in between a low scoring slug fest and a high scoring barn burner...
The middle and bottom half of the BigTen is gaining. The front 7s are becoming more athletic. LBs now can cover in space and DE can speed rush and the interior lineman aren't just space eaters. OSU, PSU, WIS, MSU and Michigan for the most part have had that figured out.

Perimeter athletes need to improve. Right now PSU and OSU are recruiting nationwide in that area getting 4/5 star talent that have Impressive offer sheets.

Ohio State v. Bama would be the biggest draw possible. I think many folks here aren't fully in tune with how massively popular The OSU brand is.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:15 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think many folks here aren't fully in tune with how massively popular The OSU brand is.
I disagree... I think people here understand. They just don't care... there is a difference.

And of course OSU has a popular brand. They have 60K students. It takes most schools 2-3 graduating classes to equal one of OSU's. Every year they are doubling and tripling their fanbase!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 PM

bama sucking big time .. time to give the backup QB a chance ...hurts cant hit a pass to a wide open anybody /..

Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 PM

thank you for benching hurts ... ROLLLLLLL TTTTIIIIDDDDEEEE

Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 AM

23,352 posts, read 11,566,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
As noted in other posts, this claim could have been avoided if the play-off committee had scheduled Auburn to play a Big Ten team.

The committee might have egg on its face if Wisconsin or Penn State had defeated Auburn, but not as much as now, since Ohio State did lose to play-off participant Oklahoma.
As it has been explained to you already, the committee does not simply "pick" the teams

What they do is rank them, and then the Bowls themselves pretty much pick from what is available based on the New Years 6 agreements and qualifications.

Auburn could not have played OSU or Wisconsin

at best, they had a 33% chance of playing Penn State.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,892,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
As it has been explained to you already, the committee does not simply "pick" the teams

What they do is rank them, and then the Bowls themselves pretty much pick from what is available based on the New Years 6 agreements and qualifications.

Auburn could not have played OSU or Wisconsin

at best, they had a 33% chance of playing Penn State.
??? You've admitted repeatedly that the committee could have matched Auburn against Penn State. See post 681.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:51 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,134,638 times
Wow! How about that four-star quarterback Tua Tagovailoa from Saint Louis School in Honolulu?

What a game changer this kid was! Incredible result, and congrats to the Alabama Crimson Tide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or