U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2018, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
1,115 posts, read 3,237,628 times
Reputation: 856

Advertisements

I was rooting for the Dawgs but give Sabin a lot of credit for having the guts to make the switch. Kudos to Hurts who handled the situation with such grace. Classy.

 
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,837 times
Reputation: 1322
So much for low ratings...

"The College Football Playoff National Championship delivered the second-best showing for a NCAA football title on Monday night.

ESPN's coverage of the Georgia-Alabama game averaged a 16.7 overnight rating among households, dominating everything else on TV Monday night and growing 9 percent from the comparable game last year. It ranks behind the 2015 Ohio State-Oregon game as the highest-rated in network history."


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...s-espn-1073262
 
Old 01-09-2018, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
So much for low ratings...

"The College Football Playoff National Championship delivered the second-best showing for a NCAA football title on Monday night.

ESPN's coverage of the Georgia-Alabama game averaged a 16.7 overnight rating among households, dominating everything else on TV Monday night and growing 9 percent from the comparable game last year. It ranks behind the 2015 Ohio State-Oregon game as the highest-rated in network history."


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...s-espn-1073262
Stop trying to poo poo the SEC naysayers!

Regardless of ratings, great great game!
 
Old 01-09-2018, 04:46 PM
 
Location: alabama.
2,322 posts, read 1,760,912 times
Reputation: 4700
what are we going to talk about till next september ?
 
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,837 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Stop trying to poo poo the SEC naysayers!

Regardless of ratings, great great game!
Yea, it was an awesome game. The last three title game have been awesome. But last night takes the cake. It's funny how folks are super quiet today... It's like crickets around here.

The folks ever here in Hawaii are super excited about Tua... It's been a long season as most of the folks here felt like he made a mistake going to Bama, partly because of Milton's success at UCF. I always felt like it was the best move to go Bama, and last night proved that to be true. You cannot get that kind of stage going anywhere else.
 
Old 01-09-2018, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,897 posts, read 4,357,970 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Stop trying to poo poo the SEC naysayers!

Regardless of ratings, great great game!
IKR..

True football fans knew what they were in for and they got what they expected. A hard fought, even matched border war battle between the 2 top teams in college football.

The FBS playoff system isnít perfect, but itís better than what we had. Probably needs tweaked to 8 teams in the playoffs.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 09:25 AM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,868,890 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
IKR..

True football fans knew what they were in for and they got what they expected. A hard fought, even matched border war battle between the 2 top teams in college football.
It's not unanimous that Alabama and Georgia were the best two teams in college football in this season. UCF received four first place votes in the final AP poll, not unfair given their victory over Auburn, which defeated both Alabama and Georgia during the season.

UCF places 6th, receives 4 first-place votes in final AP college football poll - Orlando Sentinel

https://www.obnug.com/2018/1/9/16872...sociated-press

https://collegefootball.ap.org/poll
 
Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
??? You've admitted repeatedly that the committee could have matched Auburn against Penn State. See post 681.
You say admit as if I was hiding it or something.

As I said earlier, your original argument was that there was a conspiracy theory to stop Auburn from playing the rest of the Big 10 teams. You were proven wrong, that is something you seem to be unable to admit.
 
Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
It's not unanimous that Alabama and Georgia were the best two teams in college football in this season. UCF received four first place votes in the final AP poll, not unfair given their victory over Auburn, which defeated both Alabama and Georgia during the season.

UCF places 6th, receives 4 first-place votes in final AP college football poll - Orlando Sentinel

https://www.obnug.com/2018/1/9/16872...sociated-press

https://collegefootball.ap.org/poll
Who cares if it is unanimous ??????
writer number 1 says he uses the transitive property, even giving the example of ranking Iowa State above both Ohio State and Oklahoma. The Transitive property doesnt work, because if you are arguing it does then

Bama > UGA>Oklahoma>OSU>WISC/PSU


writer #2 says UCF deserved some recognition.

writer #3 is from the Orlando Sentinel


writer #4 puts forth his reason , and in my opinion, its stupid.

He says UGA would have been his champ because they were conference champs, but that is a flawed argument.

Alabama, Auburn, and UGA all all finished 7-1 in the SEC, Georgia was in the title game because of the division they play in, not because they actually fnished ahead of Alabama or Auburn for that matter.


worst of all, none of these guys even believed what they wrote.

They have Auburn ranked

#9, #9, #12, #14

If they actually thought Auburn was better than Alabama(remember, they are all saying record doesnt matter), then Auburn would have been #2 in all of their rankings.

Last edited by dsjj251; 01-10-2018 at 11:25 AM..
 
Old 01-10-2018, 02:53 PM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,868,890 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You say admit as if I was hiding it or something.

As I said earlier, your original argument was that there was a conspiracy theory to stop Auburn from playing the rest of the Big 10 teams. You were proven wrong, that is something you seem to be unable to admit.
My point all along was that the committee could have had Auburn play a Big Ten team. You say it could have been only Wisconsin, which is fine, even though I haven't taken the time to verify your reasoning. That would have been a great game, and allowed us to assess the relative quality of the SEC vs. the Big Ten top teams. You can't get it through your head that the committee should have provided that match-up given that Wisconsin was ranked much higher than UCF in their final rankings.

I still believe the committee never dreamed that UCF would beat Auburn, but they definitely didn't want Auburn to get spanked by the likes of Wisconsin. If that would have happened, it would have called into question their entire SEC-centric championship round.

I'm just sick of the committee rewarding the SEC powers for their unwillingness to schedule home-and-away series with the powers of the other Power 5 conferences. SEC fans who argue about the superiority of the SEC are hypocrites when the SEC refuses to prove it during the regular season.

Also, in the final analysis, Clemson beat only Auburn in the AP final top ten. Ohio State beat higher ranked Wisconsin and Penn State. Ohio State also beat 12th-ranked USC while Clemson beat 13th-ranked Miami, which lost the Orange Bowl on its home field to Wisconsin. Ohio State slaughtered 15th-ranked Michigan State. Why is Clemson ranked higher than Ohio State in the final AP poll?

It's a sham to think that Ohio State's loss to Iowa should offset the relative quality of its wins, given Clemson's loss to Syracuse, which wasn't even bowl eligible in 2017. Iowa in the Pinstripe Bowl beat Boston College.

There was a lot of unwarranted SEC and Clemson worship this year IMO, evidenced by SEC fans laughingly refusing to admit the significance of Auburn's loss to UCF, given Auburn's regular season victories over both Georgia and Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top