U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times

Advertisements

Lamar Jackson should be eliminated from Heisman contention IMO.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...baker-mayfield

Yes, it's still early in the season, and yes, everyone should be entitled to a bad game, but you shouldn't be having games THIS bad where you're getting blown out at home in a game many people expected you to win. If a QB gets a large share of the credit for blowout wins, then he should also get a large share of the blame for blowout losses. And LJ had a lot to do with this blowout loss with some bad passes and a pick 6 at a critical juncture of the game. Sure, his receivers dropped some very catchable passes, but he also missed some very makable throws even when he wasn't under heavy pressure.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:07 PM

9,431 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree with this. I suppose the thinking before the start of the season was that Clemson would be a lot weaker after losing many of their star players so it made sense to place OSU, who had many starters returning, above Clemson. At the same time, though, it seems unfair to rank a team that annihilated OSU in the post-season and won the NC below OSU. I think the defending national champs should start the season as No. 1 and that the ranking should be theirs to lose.
That was motivation.. Tell me Dabo didn't have those preseason rankings up on the wall.

3 of the 4 teams above them to start the season, Clemson beat last year.

I'm not giving it to Clemson yet.. They've got some tough games still to come.

Florida State.. They SHOULD win, but we have no idea how their replacement QB will be, and.. They always play each other tough. They've got Virginia Tech in Blacksburg.. Again, a game they SHOULD win, but.. Boston College always plays them tough, the biggest bet on that game will be whether BC's head coach has a heart attack on the sidelines. I love watching the BC game just to see his meltdowns.

Georgia Tech and NC State.. NC State is on the road. That's the one I have circled..

Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,991 times
Y'all need to check this out...there's a guy on r/CFB doing a map series. It's basically maps of college football games if they were battles for land. Here's the current one.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,020,780 times
Clemson is a better running team this year but still has a ton of great WRs. Last year, Clemson came up short on 3rd/4th and short more than I would have thought, which played in a role in the Pitt loss. I don't think that is going to be an issue this year.

Ray Ray McCloud has been incredible this year. I can't recall him dropping anything.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM

9,431 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Clemson is a better running team this year but still has a ton of great WRs. Last year, Clemson came up short on 3rd/4th and short more than I would have thought, which played in a role in the Pitt loss. I don't think that is going to be an issue this year.

Ray Ray McCloud has been incredible this year. I can't recall him dropping anything.
Fumbled against Auburn. It seems that he muffed a punt, or otherwise screwed up a punt and he wound up getting pulled for Renfrow in that game.

It happens. bad game. But the balls that Williams and others, even back to Hopkins would pull in.. He doesn't seem to.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,020,780 times
He had 7 receptions for 115 yards against Louisville. The most receptions and yards in the game for CU wide receivers. I think that if Clemson didn't play so many WRs, he would have been over 200 yards.

He also lead receiving yards for Clemson against Auburn, 81 yards, on 6 catches. Only Renfrow had more catches in that one.

The called fumble by Ray Ray in the Lville game didn't look like a fumble to me.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:43 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,991 times
All right, y'all. Time for Week 4 picks. Here are the picks for this week.

Temple vs. (21) USF
Virginia vs. Boise State
(23) Utah vs. Arizona
NC State vs. (12) Florida State
Texas Tech vs. Houston
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M
Pittsburgh vs. Georgia Tech
UCF vs. Maryland
Cincinnati vs. Navy
Duke vs. North Carolina
Rutgers vs. Nebraska
(17) TCU vs. (6) Oklahoma State
(1) Alabama vs. Vanderbilt
(3) USC vs. Cal
(9) Michigan vs. Purdue
(16) Mississippi State vs. (11) Georgia
(22) Florida vs. Kentucky
(4) Penn State vs. Iowa
Auburn vs. Missouri
Notre Dame vs. Michigan State
(7) Washington vs. Colorado
Oregon vs. Arizona State
UCLA vs. Stanford
East Carolina vs. Connecticut

Pick Overall Record: 46-19
Pick Record Last Week: 14-7

Here are my picks.
Temple vs. USF (This will be easy for USF. Temple has looked like crap this year.)
Virginia vs. Boise State (While i think Virginia's looking better, and Boise's on a little downslide, i can't see Virginia getting the win at the Smurf Turf.)
Utah vs. Arizona (Should be a fun game to watch. I'll take the Utes by 3.)
NC State vs. Florida State (Been a while since FSU played...i think they win this.)
Texas Tech vs. Houston (Should be another fun game to watch. I'll take Tech in a firefight.)
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M (This'll be a s***show. But from looking at both teams, i'm taking the Aggies in this one.)
Pittsburgh vs. Georgia Tech (Pitt is not doing real well this year...)
UCF vs. Maryland (Maryland should win, but UCF has the chance to make this exciting.)
Cincinnati vs. Navy (Not really impressed with Cincy, and they were lucky to win last week. I'll take Navy.)
Duke vs. North Carolina (UNC's defense is not real good...not gonna be a good year for the Tar Heels.)
Rutgers vs. Nebraska (Surely, Nebraska ain't gonna lose to Rutgers...That should be the end of Riley and crew if that happens.)
TCU vs. Oklahoma State (Big 12 game of the week. I'm sorry, TCU, but Oklahoma State's offense is going to absolutely torch your defense. The only team in the Big 12 right now that i think will stop them is the Sooners.)
Alabama vs. Vanderbilt (Vanderbilt is not holding Alabama's offense to 10 points or less. It's good, but it ain't that good.)
USC vs. Cal (Should be an easy win for USC.)
Michigan vs. Purdue (My upset pick of the week. Michigan has not looked real impressive, while Purdue is already looking better in year 1 under Brohm. I think they're gonna surprise Michigan this week. Plus, there's a reason they have the nickname "The Spoilermakers")
Mississippi State vs. Georgia (Sorry, Georgia...you've got a stellar running game, but you don't have Eason. Plus, Mississippi State's a monster right now (or at least, their opponents so far have made them look like one), and if they keep playing like they are now, i don't see an L on their schedule until the Alabama game.)
Florida vs. Kentucky (Yes. I'm serious. This is another upset pick for me. Florida doesn't have a really good offense...that hail mary didn't change that. Defense is good, yes...but defense ain't winning you every game. And Kentucky, i think, will show that here.)
Penn State vs. Iowa (Top 5 team heading into Kinnick Stadium against an unranked Iowa, a night game, on prime-time television...we've seen how this has gone before.)
Auburn vs. Missouri (I'll take Auburn in this one...Mizzou's in sad shape.)
Notre Dame vs. Michigan State (Honestly didn't know who to pick here.)
Washington vs. Colorado (I'll take the Huskies...I don't think Colorado has what it takes to beat Washington.)
Oregon vs. Arizona State (Oregon should take this one easily.)
UCLA vs. Stanford (This is not looking like a good year for Stanford.)
East Carolina vs. Connecticut (Well, here's one win i think Connecticut will grab.)

Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 4,646,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Y'all need to check this out...there's a guy on r/CFB doing a map series. It's basically maps of college football games if they were battles for land. Here's the current one.

Saw this map before and commented on it. It's so bogus it's hardly worth commenting on.
As an example, south central South Dakota and all of eastern Nebraska roots for---get this---OREGON? My guess is the Nebraska Cornhuskers might have a small say in this.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:01 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,921,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
All right, y'all. Time for Week 4 picks. Here are the picks for this week...
No mention of the #2 team???

BTW - things just got interesting for Clemson. Huegel, their kicker, might be out for the season after an injury during practice. Hopefully, their backup kicker can produce.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:07 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Illinois vs. USF. Picked yesterday
Kansas vs. Ohio. If this was basketball Kansas would win by 40. Unfortunately, it's not basketball.
(7) Oklahoma State vs. Pittsburgh. Not sure the Pokes are top 10 in the country good, and this will be a tough road trip for them. I'll take the Panthers
Connecticut vs. Virginia. The homer pick of the week since I can never pick against UConn, even if they were matched up against Alabama.
Baylor vs. Duke. Baylor has been a disaster since last November.
Coastal Carolina vs. UAB. I'll take the old new team against the new new team.
Mid Tenn State vs. Minnesota. Raiders will play them tough, but Gophers win at home.
SMU vs. (23) TCU. If this was at SMU, I'd take the Mustangs as they are improving, but at TCU I'll take the Froggies.
(10) Wisconsin vs. BYU. BYU just cannot score, and when you are only averaging 13 points a game through 3 games playing a FCS opponent in that stretch then I have to pick against you.
(19) Tennessee vs. Florida. My new dogs are coming from Gainesville, FL. Gators get revenge and go back to owning the Vols.
Purdue vs. Missouri. I don't have a damn clue!
Oregon State vs. (20) Washington State. This seems a little too easy.
(13) LSU vs. Mississippi State. Maybe the new regime changes this as they finished pretty well last year under Orgeron, but it seems like every year in the first 5 or 6 weeks they drop a game like this.
Louisiana Tech vs. Western Kentucky. Hilltoppers!
Kentucky vs. South Carolina. Know someone with 2 kids at USC that are heading up to Colombia for this game.
(17) Kansas State vs. Vanderbilt. No clue K-state was ranked in the top 25, yet alone they were this high.
Arizona State vs. Texas Tech. 2 glass cannons. I think last year there was close to 100 points scored combined if not more so I'm liking offense again here.
(3) Clemson vs. (11) Louisville. Lamar Jackson and the Cardinals at home. Could have beaten them last year in Clemson, they'll get them at home. Plus, wasn't this the same week last year where they (Louisville) played Florida State at home and just completely stomped them??
Texas vs. (2) USC. Trojans really came to play last week vs. the Cardinal, and unfortunately can't see the Horns stopping them
Ole Miss vs. Cal. I agree with SouthernTiger I see a lot of points being scored, but I will take the Bears as Ole Miss was on my $#!t list last year.
Last week: 14-6
Overall: 32-29
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or