Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM

939 posts, read 505,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't see any way OSU gets in over Bama. They've got about 1.5 more good wins than Alabama with 1 more loss, one of which was a complete disaster against an unranked team.

I don't understand why people pretend as if FSU's QB didn't get injured. That threw their entire season into turmoil. The FSU that Alabama faced in its opener was clearly not the same FSU going forward for the rest of the season.
I know I've said it, but Ohio State being mentioned as a candidate is ludicrous. Alabama deserves its share of criticism, but at the end of the day, they beat everybody in front of them except at the hottest team in the country. They didn't tinker around with inferior competition, or more over lose 55-24 to Iowa. They were more competitive at Auburn than Ohio State was at home vs Oklahoma. And the Penn State win inspires only so much confidence- again, I get Ohio State won the game, but even if you start splitting hairs, the Penn State game was not a game where many felt it was indicative of the better team that day winning. I think the OSU love stems from when they win a lot of weeks, they tend to put up "style points" and win by massive margins regularly. Credit them for doing that vs Michigan State- but people misgauge that often when it comes to beating teams like Maryland, Nebraska, etc... .

I've made the argument about assuming tougher schedules translate into being the better team. But the committee needs some sort of less subjective gauge. Understandable. But what isn't understandable is not being realistic in assuming when you schedule Florida State, you are making every effort to play a top program out of conference every bit as much as Ohio State and Oklahoma playing one another. At this point why penalize the players on Alabama for that? And the AD can't even be faulted in such a case either, unlike perhaps Wisconsin's AD. Some common sense and rational evaluation is in order. Don't give me stupid computer numbers or SOS ratings that can be skewed by one real good/one real bad program or is dependent on when you played them, or passing or defensive rankings when a team's tempo or style of play easily changes the meaning behind those numbers- or comparing such rankings between teams from different conferences with no/almost no common opponents.

I think the better question is does Alabama deserve to be in front of a three loss Auburn or two loss Georgia? I know Georgia is actually behind Alabama right now, but if they have a last second tough loss to Auburn and a team or two in front of them lose, I wouldn't dismiss a two loss Georgia squad either.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Folks are pointing out the precedent set last year for a 1 loss no conference title team getting in over 2 loss conference champion team- Bama over OSU or TCU this year.

Remember OSU had 3 Top 10 wins last year. Bama does not have the same resume.

Speaking on Wisconsin, they are a legit title contender. The defense is salty, they have some perimeter althletes for once and they are a tough matchup. How many teams these days run two TE ground and pound play action ball??? They only question is their QB executing on a consistent basis- if that happens on any given game they are easily a title contending team. Unfortunately I don't think my buckeyes will beat them.
I would think the only way Alabama gets in is if Oklahoma or Wisconsin were to lose. Something tells me the playoff committee would have no problems selecting them over an 11-2 TCU or an 11-2 Ohio State. It would be a shame if we have 2 teams from the same conference in.

Speaking of Wisconsin, people seem to keep downplaying what they've done this year. They're 12-0 and have beaten some good football teams - Northwestern is 9-3, Iowa is 7-5 (and pounded Ohio State), Michigan is 8-4 and FAU is 9-3. They also played a non-conference road game so I give them props for that as well.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:02 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I know I've said it, but Ohio State being mentioned as a candidate is ludicrous. Alabama deserves its share of criticism, but at the end of the day, they beat everybody in front of them except at the hottest team in the country. They didn't tinker around with inferior competition, or more over lose 55-24 to Iowa. They were more competitive at Auburn than Ohio State was at home vs Oklahoma. And the Penn State win inspires only so much confidence- again, I get Ohio State won the game, but even if you start splitting hairs, the Penn State game was not a game where many felt it was indicative of the better team that day winning. I think the OSU love stems from when they win a lot of weeks, they tend to put up "style points" and win by massive margins regularly. Credit them for doing that vs Michigan State- but people misgauge that often when it comes to beating teams like Maryland, Nebraska, etc... .

I've made the argument about assuming tougher schedules translate into being the better team. But the committee needs some sort of less subjective gauge. Understandable. But what isn't understandable is not being realistic in assuming when you schedule Florida State, you are making every effort to play a top program out of conference every bit as much as Ohio State and Oklahoma playing one another. At this point why penalize the players on Alabama for that? And the AD can't even be faulted in such a case either, unlike perhaps Wisconsin's AD. Some common sense and rational evaluation is in order. Don't give me stupid computer numbers or SOS ratings that can be skewed by one real good/one real bad program or is dependent on when you played them, or passing or defensive rankings when a team's tempo or style of play easily changes the meaning behind those numbers- or comparing such rankings between teams from different conferences with no/almost no common opponents.

I think the better question is does Alabama deserve to be in front of a three loss Auburn or two loss Georgia? I know Georgia is actually behind Alabama right now, but if they have a last second tough loss to Auburn and a team or two in front of them lose, I wouldn't dismiss a two loss Georgia squad either.
Well if you split hairs look at the total yardage in the Penn state game- you could argue Ohio State kept penn state in that game. Conversely, what exactly has Bama accomplished the past three weeks besides beating Mercer - not playing worth a crap against Miss State and never really being in the game against Auburn who has two losses.

But Bama ahead of three loss Auburn? You lost me

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 11-29-2017 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I don't see any way OSU gets in over Bama. They've got about 1.5 more good wins than Alabama with 1 more loss, one of which was a complete disaster against an unranked team.

I don't understand why people pretend as if FSU's QB didn't get injured. That threw their entire season into turmoil. The FSU that Alabama faced in its opener was clearly not the same FSU going forward for the rest of the season.
You don't see "any" way or there are ways but you are ignoring them?

Look the worse loss title goes to Ohio State if your sole basis on inclusion or exclusion is on this. I don't see anyway OSU gets in over Bama either. If the committee wants to make an example of that this season- as the top criteria - they have the opportunity. If you cite last season with OSU or Bamas Rep. sure I get that too

But conference championship doesn't lie.
OSUs three best wins being better than ANY Bama win - can't ignore this either.
Ending the season beating an undefeated Power5 team - Did Bama do that too?

Many analysts can see ways the OSU would get in over Bama.

I honestly don't wish the playoffs on OSU they aren't championship material this year- but I estimate nearly every team isn't championship caliber either.

FSU has other issues besides the QB position- I watched the BC game early this year - I was shocked at the effort, the execution on defense and the overall lack of playmaking in the skilled areas. They were a pretender this Year even with a healthy QB.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:10 PM

939 posts, read 505,671 times
Quote:
Conversely, what exactly has Bama accomplished the past three weeks besides beating Mercer - not playing worth a crap against Miss State and never really being in the game against Auburn who has two losses. But Bama ahead of three loss Auburn? You lost me
I guess I did. I stated the exact opposite if Auburn were to lose, particularly if it was a close game vs Georgia.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:08 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Look the worse loss title goes to Ohio State if your sole basis on inclusion or exclusion is on this.
I wouldn't exclude them on the basis of one bad loss. I'd exclude them on the basis of TWO bad losses. They got beat by 2 TDs at home and then destroyed by an unranked team. Yes, I believe that should officially eliminate you from playoff contention, particularly when, as SonnyCrockett said, there are teams that managed not to get blown out twice.

Quote:
If you cite last season with OSU or Bamas Rep. sure I get that too
This would be my second reason. I thought Penn State's exclusion last year was even more egregious since they had the conference championship AND the head to head advantage over Ohio State. But everyone pretty much waved those facts away since Penn State had more losses and a very bad loss to Michigan. Yet here we are a year later with an Ohio State team with 2 blowout losses and people are making the argument that they're somehow playoff worthy?

Please.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
This would be my second reason. I thought Penn State's exclusion last year was even more egregious since they had the conference championship AND the head to head advantage over Ohio State. But everyone pretty much waved those facts away since Penn State had more losses and a very bad loss to Michigan. Yet here we are a year later with an Ohio State team with 2 blowout losses and people are making the argument that they're somehow playoff worthy?

I wouldn't make that argument. Alabama had a weak schedule, but leaving them out and putting Ohio State in? Nope. I don't think either get in and I'm OK with that. But there's no way that Ohio State should get in and Alabama is left at home.

And, if we're talking about last year.. 31-0

Just to bring that back up. Letting that Ohio State team that didn't win their conference in didn't end too well.

as I said a few pages back.. I think what this does is take teams like Alabama and force them to look at their schedule.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
I feel like TCU should get in if they beat Oklahoma. They dominated Oklahoma State at OSU, and Okla State scored 50 plus on Oklahoma. They also have dominant win over Arkansas and SMU out of conference. Their worst loss was to Oklahoma, a team currently ranked 3.

TCU lost at Iowa State while OU lost at home to Iowa State. It seems like perhaps too credit is given to Oklahoma's win over Ohio State if Oklahoma is in playoffs with win but TCU is still out with a win over Oklahoma.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:11 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
The loser of Georgia Auburn WILL NOT make the top 4. It may look that way with Auburn, but I'm, sorry you can't take a 3 loss team even if the loss is 2-0 on a safety, and obviously Georgia, already out of the top 4, wouldn't climb to the top 4 with a loss.

I think the more interesting debate, one which no one is talking about is what happens if Clemson loses a close game (let's say a Miami field goal as the clock strikes 0:00), & Ohio State beats Wisconsin by 20+ points. To me it's not much of a debate; Clemson in over BOTH Alabama & Ohio State as the 4th team and really it shouldn't be close. Clemson lost by 3 on the road to a 5-7 team with their starting QB hurt half the game; Ohio State lost on the road to a 7-5 team by about 25 points with their starting QB playing the entire game. Get them out of here!

Old 11-30-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
All this banter against OSU is uncalled for. Their current ranking leads you to believe they are not in, no matter what. So I am confused why your worried. It's obvious, our season goal ended with the embarrassing loss to Iowa. Alabama and OSU don't deserve it this year, both teams are good but not top 4 good. And this is a buckeye fan talking. But i do pray for another osu and bama matchup!!!
OSU fan as well...I don't think at the moment they deserve to get in, but I don't think Bama deserves to get in either and they are sitting in the clubhouse with no chance to build their resume.

Can anyone tell us the criteria for selecting teams? Besides OSU got crushed by Clemson last year and they lost to Iowa by 31 points.

I'll say it again if a bad loss or losses and reputation are at the top of the list- I'll put my head down walk away and let's play USC in Fiesta Bowl.

Follow this logic....A poster just mentioned Oklahoma was a bad loss how was OSU's loss to Oklahoma any different from Bama's loss to Auburn aside from OSU's loss happening in September???

Should we consider that Bama's best win is over LSU, which lost by 20 to Troy?

Should we give Bama a mulligan for "trying" to schedule a tough OOC teams but Florida State being a train wreck during and after the injury to their QB. Mind you, FSU has had issues at every level this season.

Should we ignore "bye" weeks FCS games? The committee didn't do this with Baylor a few years back?

Anyone else see the similarities between this Bama team and OSU in 2015- they lost one game didn't reach the title game and were left out?

I feel less confident about this Buckeye team doing well in a playoff than any team 2014-2016- but logic tells me the 4 spot is open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football