U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,593,077 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are college football games getting longer and longer? It seems like they are way longer than a NFL game.

For example a game will start at 800 pm and wont be over until 12-1215 am, when a NFL game would be over at about 1130 pm. They need to do something to speed up the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:56 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,765,099 times
the 15 commercials they play every 5 minutes .. and notice that no matter which station you are watching a game on when you switch to another game they are also playing commercials .. i know .. i channel surf during them ...

Old 09-01-2017, 10:59 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,593,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
the 15 commercials they play every 5 minutes .. and notice that no matter which station you are watching a game on when you switch to another game they are also playing commercials .. i know .. i channel surf during them ...
Ha ha that is funny, but true.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,129,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
If a game were allowed to play out as it normally would -- without the constant commercial interruptions -- it would shorten games substantially. However, the corporate sponsors of these games expect that their precious products will continuously be in the face and ears of television & radio football fans!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:01 PM

579 posts, read 375,672 times
Not just commercials have lengthened the game.
Pass happy offenses, (incomplete passes stop the clock), reviewing plays slow down the game.
Not much of a fan anymore.
I don't like what the game has become. Hate HUNH.
I much preferred when defense and kicking were held at a premium rather than an afterthought.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,368,152 times
Announcers of Akron v Penn State were discussing this topic a few minutes ago during a review of an obvious fumble. Nothing in depth but no one within broadcasting wants to acknowledge the reality: commercials. Commercials shoehorned in at every opportunity. Artificial stoppages created to generate more revenue. NFL & NCAA need to decrease number of spots and make their available breaks more valuable so they can charge more.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:50 PM

6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
A couple reasons, some of which were stated already:

Pass-happy offenses. Running the ball keeps the clock running, but it seems like the RB in football is the equivalent of the dinosaur from 10 million years ago.....virtually extinct.
In college, the QBs still aren't as developed as they are when they get to the pro level which leads to more over throws, underthrows, and interceptions which lead to more incompletions and clock-stoppages.
First downs in college cause the clock to stop to move the chains, while in the NFL it keeps running. If you have a college team that moves the ball in 10-15 yard spurts and doesn't have a deep threat wideout and picks teams apart in the middle, all those first downs take time.
Outside of the final 5 minutes in the second & 4th quarters, if a runner (or receiver) runs out of bounds the clock keeps running in the NFL; in college it stops. See my example from above about a team with no deep threats - those short passes take time.
In the NFL, only touchdowns & turnovers are automatically reviewed, and the coach only gets 2 challenges to cover other plays in the game. In the college game, the coaches still get 2 challenges, but there are a lot more plays that are automatically reviewed (targeting, catch vs. no catch [and they STILL can't figure that out], out of bounds plays, first downs etc) those take time as well. The reviews in college usually last longer then the pro's AND there are usually more of them per game.

Add up all of those, and you'll get a part of your answer.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:11 PM

1,200 posts, read 879,417 times
It the commercials, and don't expect it to get any better. The fact is, while still popular, networks have overbid on several sports, and they are counting on the ad revenue to avoid huge losses. It's why ESPN has had big layoffs last year. I'm old enough to remember when not every change of possession meant a commercial break.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:45 PM

5,477 posts, read 2,310,817 times
Because they are magical. They bend the time-space continuum.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:35 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,638,469 times
College are long, but NFL games, seem much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or