Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If ND were forced to join a conference in full membership, which would it choose?
ACC 8 28.57%
Big Ten 18 64.29%
Pac Ten 1 3.57%
SEC 0 0%
Big 12 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:47 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the dynamics of college football forced Notre Dame to do the unthinkable: join one of the 5 power conferences in full....meaning, of course, that its membership would be identical to the rest, including football where it would pay the requisite number of games that other conference schools play.

Which conference would ND join? Would it stay with the ACC under the terms of full membership or would it choose to join another conference, likely for geographical and traditional rivalry purposes, the Big Ten (although the Stanford/USC connection could also make the Pac 12 attractive)

What do you think the Irish would do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
This Minnesota Gopher fan hopes it would be the Big Ten.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:34 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
i cant think of anything they have to benefit the SEC .. we are football champs .. we are baseball champs . we are gymnastics champs. we are softball champs ,, we are golf champs .. we dont do hockey/wrestling or shuffle boarding ..

Old 12-15-2016, 08:58 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i cant think of anything they have to benefit the SEC .. we are football champs .. we are baseball champs . we are gymnastics champs. we are softball champs ,, we are golf champs .. we dont do hockey/wrestling or shuffle boarding ..
The SEC could use a basketball school.
Seems the conference only has one at present time.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
First, there should be an even number of conferences contending for the playoffs with an equal number of teams. The number of conferences should be four or eight.

Second, Notre Dame has positioned itself toward the ACC. I think it will pursue full membership into the conference in several years.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
It's a 2 part question, which conference wants Notre Dame? I think it'd be between the ACC and the Big Ten and I'd go with the ACC, I don't see the schools in the Big Ten wanting another top dog school. The ACC has a bit more space.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
It's a 2 part question, which conference wants Notre Dame? I think it'd be between the ACC and the Big Ten and I'd go with the ACC, I don't see the schools in the Big Ten wanting another top dog school. The ACC has a bit more space.
let's say you look at the last 20 years or so of college football. Do you really think Notre Dame would end up being in that "top dog" category that represents schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State? Or even Nebraska, MSU, Wisconsin?

Notre Dame brings a name...but not sure about top dog status

Old 12-16-2016, 02:34 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
let's say you look at the last 20 years or so of college football. Do you really think Notre Dame would end up being in that "top dog" category that represents schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State? Or even Nebraska, MSU, Wisconsin?

Notre Dame brings a name...but not sure about top dog status
Possibly, I just think with only 4 playoff spots and so many top teams already in the Big Ten, they would not be the first conference to want another "strong" school. I think the ACC would be a better fit especially if you factor in basketball as well.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Possibly, I just think with only 4 playoff spots and so many top teams already in the Big Ten, they would not be the first conference to want another "strong" school. I think the ACC would be a better fit especially if you factor in basketball as well.
I can't imagine a better fit for Notre Dame than the Big Ten. As always, ND is smack dab in the heart of Big Ten country, a stone's throw away from the heart of the Big Ten Conference, Chicago. Rivalries? No conference has so many with the Irish than the Big Ten....the on-going, constant instate battle with nearby Purdue, the long series with MSU, going deeply back into the time the two were the leading midwestern independents, the true classic that is Notre Dame vs. Michigan. The incredibly long series with nearby Northwestern with its Chicago tie-in. Plenty of games against Iowa. frequent enough games vs. Wisconsin and Illinois, and although far rarer than Michigan, those great Notre Dame-Ohio State matchups. Throw in some matchups with in-state IU (infrequent, I realize) and it seems that ND has had a pretty good connection with all of the old ten Big Ten schools, short perhaps of Minnesota.

ND is with the ACC only because of the special deal that that conference worked out with the Irish, giving them full membership in all sports but football, but assuring a nice slate of ACC opponents on the gridiron (even though ND is not part of the conference standings).

And the ACC gives ND a hook in the northeast market, a place it highly values with Pitt giving it Pittsburgh, Syracuse giving it a connection with the NYC market. And, course, BC bringing in Boston. Yet The Big Ten gives more bang-for-the-buck than the ACC in the northeast. Of the major markets, only Boston isn't included in the conference, but look at the rest; Penn State delivers Philadelphia, Rutgers does the same for NYC and Both DC and Baltimore are brought in by UMD.

From a rivalry perspective, there is little to choose for in the ACC for the Irish....there is the battle of Catholics, ND vs. BC, and there are long standing series with GT, Pitt, and Miami. But these simply do not compare with the Big Ten rivalries.

Indeed, after the Big Ten, the Irish have their best rivalries with the Pac 12 with USC and Stanford, giving them an annual game in the Golden State, alternatingly between LA and the Bay Area, working well with ND's recruiting pipeline with the state of California. But the Pac 12 is a fit far fro the Irish who are still miles removed from the closest outpost in Boulder.

If full membership were required, the Big Ten, by far, would be the best bet.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:24 AM

578 posts, read 458,505 times
ACC of course!!In basketball notre dame is with ACC so in football why would it be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football