U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will we see a 15-0 team within the decade?
Yes 14 93.33%
No 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 10-16-2017, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726

Advertisements

By "ever" I really mean within the next 10 years. That's a lot clunkier in a thread title than "ever" though.

There have been plenty of undefeated college football champions. To wit...

FSU '14
Auburn '10
Alabama '09
Texas '05
USC '04
USC '03
Ohio State '02
Miami '01
Oklahoma '00
FSU '99
Tennessee '98
etc.
etc.

More often than not the "national champion" was undefeated because they played a 12 game season (including bowl game) and the bowl game often wasn't between the consensus Top 2 teams in the country (Michigan won its last championship by playing No. 7 Washington State). The gauntlet is now a lot more difficult with teams required to win perhaps 15 games for a championship. 5 teams have managed to attain 14-0 records in the history of college football.

Ohio State
Florida State
Boise State
Alabama
Auburn

This is slightly better than the number of NFL teams that have made it through 14 games without a loss.

Miami Dolphins '72
New England Patriots '07
Carolina Panthers ' 15
Indianapolis Colts' 09

Only the Dolphins and Patriots have won 15 consecutive games in a single season. Considering how hard it is for a team in either college or the pros to win 15 games in a row in a single season, do you think we'll see a perfect champion in the next 10 years?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2017, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Boulder County, CO
773 posts, read 474,381 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
By "ever" I really mean within the next 10 years. That's a lot clunkier in a thread title than "ever" though.

There have been plenty of undefeated college football champions. To wit...

FSU '14
Auburn '10
Alabama '09
Texas '05
USC '04
USC '03
Ohio State '02
Miami '01
Oklahoma '00
FSU '99
Tennessee '98
etc.
etc.

More often than not the "national champion" was undefeated because they played a 12 game season (including bowl game) and the bowl game often wasn't between the consensus Top 2 teams in the country (Michigan won its last championship by playing No. 7 Washington State). The gauntlet is now a lot more difficult with teams required to win perhaps 15 games for a championship. 5 teams have managed to attain 14-0 records in the history of college football.

Ohio State
Florida State
Boise State
Alabama
Auburn

This is slightly better than the number of NFL teams that have made it through 14 games without a loss.

Miami Dolphins '72
New England Patriots '07
Carolina Panthers ' 15
Indianapolis Colts' 09

Only the Dolphins and Patriots have won 15 consecutive games in a single season. Considering how hard it is for a team in either college or the pros to win 15 games in a row in a single season, do you think we'll see a perfect champion in the next 10 years?

I bet Alabama will do it again in the near future
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 12:03 AM
 
32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
Reputation: 19100
its possible, but with the amount of parity in most conferences these days, it is a tougher proposition than it used to be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Sale Creek, TN
3,969 posts, read 3,635,129 times
Reputation: 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I bet Alabama will do it again in the near future
The SEC ain't what it used to be. They can, I hate to say this, "roll" through an SEC schedule, pretty much at will.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,964 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Reputation: 41769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
The SEC ain't what it used to be. They can, I hate to say this, "roll" through an SEC schedule, pretty much at will.
Whether the SEC is what is used to doesn't matter: it looks like Alabama could very well go undefeated this season. And I would differ with you: I think the SEC is better than it used to be. Tell us a conference that is stronger.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,296 posts, read 11,538,433 times
Reputation: 4315
2003 USC was neither undefeated or a national champion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
447 posts, read 472,130 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Whether the SEC is what is used to doesn't matter: it looks like Alabama could very well go undefeated this season. And I would differ with you: I think the SEC is better than it used to be. Tell us a conference that is stronger.

The SEC, top to bottom, is miles away from being as dominant compared to a few years ago. That doesn't mean that Alabama is any less dominant. And it doesn't mean that other conferences are "better" (although that could be a separate debate). It's just that the SEC now looks like pretty much every other conference, with a couple of really good teams at the top, followed by a handful of good to average teams, followed by the bottom feeders...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,296 posts, read 11,538,433 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Whether the SEC is what is used to doesn't matter: it looks like Alabama could very well go undefeated this season. And I would differ with you: I think the SEC is better than it used to be. Tell us a conference that is stronger.
The computer polls have the SEC on average as the 3th best conference(as high as 2nd , as low as 4th) behind the Big 10 and ACC in that order.

That is skewed though. The SEC plays more FCS teams than any other league and the Big 10(ranked #1 in most polls) plays the least. and FCS games arent counted for conference strength.

that being said, there isnt that much difference between an SEC school playing Indiana St and a Big 10 school playing Bowling Green or an ACC team playing Old Dominion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Happened sooner than I thought it would.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,536 posts, read 1,827,802 times
Reputation: 6640
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Happened sooner than I thought it would.
Thank goodness it wasn't Alabama.

heard on Paul Finebaum today: "what do the moon and Clemson have in common?"

They both control the Tide
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top